Honored Contributor

Re: Premium jeans vs 50.00 jeans?

My favorite pair of jeans came from the Loft for around 20.00.  They have been washed 100 times (owned them for a long time), fit well and look great.  The most I've ever paid for a pair of jeans was around 35.00.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Just a handy FYI: I think the correct name of the cotton under discussion is Supima.

@suzyQ3, that was a typo on my part.  

The fact remains, the fabric content just says cotton.  Not Supima or pima. 

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I always thought 50.00 dollar jeans were premium jeans.

No.  They have to be made & designed in the U.S. or Europe.  The cotton must be pure of high grade cotton like Pima or Supima, and not mixed in with synthetic fibers that 3rd world produces.  Labor must be highly skilled/unionized and not made by 12 year old children in 3rd worlds.  Price range is roughly from $100.00 up. The price reflects the wages paid to worker, and cost of processing cotton, etc.  Producing denim is difficult.  Repeated washings, etc.  Preium jean companies are very entironmental aware in using excessive water, etc. and is much less.  Cotton & stretch combinations are kept at minimum.  Usually 98% to 2% stretch.  Sometimes more as in skinny jeans, which needs stetch.

That's a very narrow, and I think inaccurate, definition of "premium jeans." Premium (in this case) merely means expensive, like $100+.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@suzyQ3    Not quite.  My jeans are made of Supena cotton and highly skilled workers.  And I like & am proud of them being produced in in U.S.   I buy nothing but preium jeans.  From AG to Frame to 3X1 to Rag & Bone and on and on.  I may pay a lot, but I'm not retired. I work hard for my money and like to spend it on qualtiy clothing.  

@songbird, since you mentioned Frame, they have polyester in them and no where does it same they are made with supema or pima cotton.  The fabric content just says cotton.  And according to the Nordstrom website, the country of origin just says "imported."  

I called Frame and asked them.  They use pima cotton in their jeans.  They have a contract with them.  All denim for them is from Japan (who make the best denim in the world) rag & Bone only uses Japanese Denim.  

3X1 always uses Supima cotton in all their jeans.  Here is a link to an interview with 3x! fouder

https://robbreport.com/style/fashion/3x1-scott-morrison-jeans-2755824/

I realize this is the wrong board for some clothing as most of the posters here are retired on limited incomes.  So what they perseive as expensive is what they can get for $30.00 or less.  However,  have met some folk here that have spend several thousand dollars on Chanel bags.  So not everyone is like that.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

I realize this is the wrong board for some clothing as most of the posters here are retired on limited incomes.  So what they perseive as expensive is what they can get for $30.00 or less.  However,  have met some folk here that have spend several thousand dollars on Chanel bags.  So not everyone is like that.  

Fair enough. 

Regular Contributor

I cannot tell the "preminium" jeans from Gap/Levis (which predominatly filled my closet until last year when I donated 90% of my clothes).

Label from a pair of 3x1 jeans:

IMG_20190918_105540 (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@suzyQ3    Not quite.  My jeans are made of Supena cotton and highly skilled workers.  And I like & am proud of them being produced in in U.S.   I buy nothing but preium jeans.  From AG to Frame to 3X1 to Rag & Bone and on and on.  I may pay a lot, but I'm not retired. I work hard for my money and like to spend it on qualtiy clothing.  

@songbird, since you mentioned Frame, they have polyester in them and no where does it same they are made with supema or pima cotton.  The fabric content just says cotton.  And according to the Nordstrom website, the country of origin just says "imported."  

I called Frame and asked them.  They use pima cotton in their jeans.  They have a contract with them.  All denim for them is from Japan (who make the best denim in the world) rag & Bone only uses Japanese Denim.  

3X1 always uses Supima cotton in all their jeans.  Here is a link to an interview with 3x! fouder

@songbird, I don't think that you quite get it. No, I'm not sure at all that most posters are retired and on limited incomes. Demographics in the past show that the main group who shops at QVC is quite comfortable -- retired or working.

It's more that many, if not the majority, of posters here don't think that the value you perceive in your "premium" jeans is something that they care about. They are willing, however, to spend money when the see that they are getting something that they do think has value to them and that can't be found for less money.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I've found my favorite jeans at TJMaxx.  Kut from the Kloth, Lucky Brand, and a few pair of Calvin Klein.  I don't think I paid more than $35 for any of them.  

I'm very fussy about fit.  I've dragged 15 pair at a time into the dressing room, many times leaving with none.  And when I leave with a pair they never cost $50 or more.  Guess I'm just a "Cheap Fit".  Hahahaha.  As long as I look good in them and they feel good on my body, I don't care how cheap they are.

Everyone who comes on the shopping channels anymore with jeans to sell call them "premium".  I even heard the Denim & Co. guy call those jeans "premium" denim.  It means nothing but "if I tell you these are premium, you will be willing to fork over more money for them".

The endless photos of "high end" jeans posted on this board gets silly after awhile as the only reason any of them look great is because of the body that's in them and how they fit that particular body. 

Honored Contributor

With the advances in textiles, across the board, getting a quality pair of jeans that fit well is easier than ever to get regardless of price. I want them to fit me, not to grow throughout the day, and to maintain shape and color through many washings. I have been able to meet my criteria at every price range.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Okay.  But in another post above, you also commented about your premium jeans not being mixed with synthetic materials but these jeans all have polyester in them.  Polyester isn't a natural fabric.

If all of these premium denim jeans are made in the USA, I would think that would be a selling point.  Rather than websites saying the country of origin is imported, you would think they would say "Made in the USA of imported fabric."   

As an aside, J. Crew has some Japanese denim jeans for under $100.00, before being on sale.  

And not all Japanese denim is created equally either.