Honored Contributor

Re: Premium jeans vs 50.00 jeans?

The definition of "premium" jeans are jeans that cost upward of $100.00. Personally, I have tried on inexpensive jeans and so called premium jeans and the price point of the premium jeans simply isn't worth it.....

Respected Contributor

I always think the premium jeans posted here look like a hundred other non-premium brands out there. How hard is it to find a slim ankle jean, for example (not too hard), so I don't ever see the big deal. If it's "your thing," then have at it; but for many of us, there simply isn't enough difference to merit the price or the hype.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

I always think the premium jeans posted here look like a hundred other non-premium brands out there. How hard is it to find a slim ankle jean, for example (not too hard), so I don't ever see the big deal. If it's "your thing," then have at it; but for many of us, there simply isn't enough difference to merit the price or the hype.

@jonbon, from what I can tell from reading some posts here :-), the two things that seem to distinguish "premium" jeans is that they are made in the US and they often come from well-known denim manufacturers. The retail prices range from $200 on up and up, generally.

I guess that the first point is very important to some people. I'm not one of them. In fact, I'm not so convinced that it automatically confers a difference in quality.

The second point is a bit insider baseball. I buy my jeans at J. Crew (best fit for my body), where they retail from $90 to $128 for their regular line and higher for some of their Point Sur jeans. Some of their regular line of jeans do denote that the denim comes from a certain factory, information that means little to me.

Of course, I always wait for a 40 percent off deal, which happens not too infrequently. I am confident that I am getting what I believe is a "premium" product," which I define as a good fit for me, *launders well, and lasts forever.

*I first wash them inside out (gentle/cold) with Shout Color Catchers until no dye shows on the sheets. After that, I always use cold/gentle and put in the dryer on low for only 10 minutes and then hang to dry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I own exactly one pair of jeans.  I got them on sale at Chico's.  NYDJ ... marked down to $19.

I bought them a while ago ....tried them on but haven't worn them yet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3    Not quite.  My jeans are made of Supena cotton and highly skilled workers.  And I like & am proud of them being produced in in U.S.   I buy nothing but preium jeans.  From AG to Frame to 3X1 to Rag & Bone and on and on.  I may pay a lot, but I'm not retired. I work hard for my money and like to spend it on qualtiy clothing.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very few jeans fit my new and exciting (post-)menopausal body.🙃

I buy one brand in particular. They're definitely not premium, whatever the definition is.  They are not the softest material and they smell of chemicals, more often than not. They bleed like crazy, even after a couple of washings.  $40-70. If other brands fit as well, I'd prefer better fabrics. I'd pay more for better quality fabric and more interesting designs (cuts, silhouettes -- I don't like embroidery, embellishments, etc).

I dont think I'd pay $2-300 for plain cigarette jeans, though.

You do reach the point of diminishing returns. 

My jeans do, however, look good on me.  Well, as good as it gets for me😃. And, they wear like iron. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I love my $13 skinny jeans that I purchased from Costco a year ago --- I purchased 2 pair black and 2 pair navy with orange stitching. Perfect!!!

Costco often has great jeans!

Honored Contributor

I always thought 50.00 dollar jeans were premium jeans.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I always thought 50.00 dollar jeans were premium jeans.

No.  They have to be made & designed in the U.S. or Europe.  The cotton must be pure of high grade cotton like Pima or Supima, and not mixed in with synthetic fibers that 3rd world produces.  Labor must be highly skilled/unionized and not made by 12 year old children in 3rd worlds.  Price range is roughly from $100.00 up. The price reflects the wages paid to worker, and cost of processing cotton, etc.  Producing denim is difficult.  Repeated washings, etc.  Preium jean companies are very entironmental aware in using excessive water, etc. and is much less.  Cotton & stretch combinations are kept at minimum.  Usually 98% to 2% stretch.  Sometimes more as in skinny jeans, which needs stetch.

Honored Contributor

I'll continue to decide what is a "premium" jean for me; better yet, I could live a nice, long life without ever hearing that marketing slogan anymore or someone's insistence on its definition for what is, after all, just pants made from denim.

Further, this is a fashion site that with few exceptions tends toward more moderate shoppers, often looking for quality at a good price. So for those who are not of the mindset that they must pay $200 and up for a pair of jeans in order to be satisfied with their purchase, this continual spiel might be a little annoying and even condescending.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland