Honored Contributor

Re: Premium jeans vs 50.00 jeans?

Jeans all look the same to me whether they're "premium" or not.  As long as they fit well, I could care less about the premium factor.  I've paid less than 50 dollars for the jeans I've purchased in the past.

Honored Contributor

Geez---I have never paid $50 on jeans----never! I've never even tried premium jeans  on. Woman Embarassed

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl-- I have tried on "premium" jeans and, ya know, they don't fit me any better, or look any better, than my Levi's from the outlet store.  Or my Sonomas from Kohl's.  I've never paid more than $25 for a pair of jeans.  Hearing the term "premium jeans" just makes me laugh.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Denim has come a long way and it’s not necessary to spend a ton to get excellent jeans. My favorite is Old Navy and Loft. I have spent $100 on jeans from the Banana Republic and $20 on ON jeans and the ON won hands down. They last forever too.

As for the double talking on the Q, I see them do this all the time and I feel embarrassed for them. We are not stupid, people notice these things and it’s a poor sales tactic because it means you can’t trust anything they say.

Esteemed Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Denim has come a long way and it’s not necessary to spend a ton to get excellent jeans. My favorite is Old Navy and Loft. I have spent $100 on jeans from the Banana Republic and $20 on ON jeans and the ON won hands down. They last forever too.

As for the double talking on the Q, I see them do this all the time and I feel embarrassed for them. We are not stupid, people notice these things and it’s a poor sales tactic because it means you can’t trust anything they say.

@GrouchomarxThumbs up for your second paragraph about double talk and offending the intelligence of their customers.  The hosts are handcuffed in this because they have to say what makes the most sense for the item they are selling at the moment, but that doesn't make the sales script any less offensive.  It can happen in the same show that a $100 and a $50 pair of jeans are presented, yet their script calls for any jeans being sold on QVC to be called premium, or have some words used to suggest the jeans are the higher grades of denim and have superior manufacturing processes. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Attaching the word "'premium" to jeans is pure marketing.

ITA.

There has always been a "snob" market for jeans.

In the 80s and 90s it was "designer" jeans. The catch word now is "premium" jeans.   Lots of people seem to fall for it.

Honored Contributor

I spent $100 on a pair of RL jeans once. I liked them, but I never did buy another pair due to price. I wear Levi’s or Lee jeans mostly. I spend anywhere from $20-40 on them depending on sales & coupons at various stores. I like the fit & the various styles & washes of these 2 brands. 

Esteemed Contributor

I get my "premium jeans" from Costco. Usually I pay less than $15.  I cannot imagine any reason to pay lots of money for anything being offered.  It seems the price point is $60 for whatever is being sold in fashion.  I just cannot see the difference and I cannot see the need to pay all that money for clothes period.  A few hours ago I got lots of compliments for my Walmart choices.  

Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

Lol, for me, my premium jeans are my good old Levi's that I've had for years that don't have any of that nasty stretch in them.  

I agree, my premiums are Lee’s. They have never disappointed me.  I am 5’2 1/2”  but I always buy regular length  jeans and pants and either hem or turn up or under depending on the shoei when necessary. Levi’s are great too but Lee’s seem to fit me better

Respected Contributor

It seems like wearing high end label jeans is passe. I don't know too many people who care about that any more, even among the younger crowd.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu