Occasional Contributor

Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

[ Edited ]

QVC please get your vendors to use  natural fabrics!  Your clothing sales of synthetic materials are killing our environment

Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester fabric takes at least 100 years to decompose

I don't think QVC clothing sales are killing anything except maybe my credit card.  I don't want a wardrobe if cotton; it's impractical for my lifestyle.  I like a mix of poly/cotton which has the best characteristics of both.  You'd do better to nag the users of plastic bags and bottles, Styrofoam,  and K-cups.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

i donate my clothing......some go to people/charities in the usa, some go to people and charities abroad who have very little, but have a big need

i also resell clothing.

consider recycling!

"There are tons of amazing sustainable resources and organizations that will take your too-far-gone clothing, accessories and textile items, and repurpose them for other uses. Uses like making home insulation, pillow stuffing, car seat stuffing, and even “new” fabric made from recycled fibers.

Here are some great textile recycling programs and resources to help you recycle anything from socks, to athletic shoes, to bras, old fleeces and everything in-between."

terracycle fabrics and zero waste box

th bra recyclers

council for textile recycling

gemtext

souls4soles

green tree

wearable collections

secondary materials and recycled textiles

H&M dont let fashion go to waste

donation town

nike, reuse a shoe

patagonia, common threads

the north face, clothes the loop

(via trashisfortossers.com)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer natural fibers, because to me they are much more comfortable, in that they breath, do not feel slinky / slick, and do not cause me to perspire. 

Maintain them willingly in deference to my own comfort.

Likely there is room for all tastes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Seriously? Oh I am not even touching this one.....

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

This is serious enough that it was on NBC Nightly News today.  The landfills are full of polyester clothing and some companies are trying to find ways to reuse and recycle it.  This is a serious environmental issue and it's sad to hear people just laugh it off.  On TV they said "polyester. Is plastic".  There's coincidentally another thread about this about two days ago.  We can all start to change this right here at QVC.  If you care that this is currently one of our the biggest environmental challenges let them know with your wallet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's always a good idea to discuss the harm done to our precious planet, and to listen, read and learn, and find even the smallest ways we can try and be "part of the solution."  All of these plastics, including polyester, are creating devastation.   Learning about one type of pollution and applying that knowledge doesn't mean we can't also care about and learn about all of the other types.   Even though my choice is natural fibers and I wish more emphasis were placed on their benefits...  they, too, can have some problems when we look into how they're sourced or produced.   No simple answers, but worth the conversation, in my opinion.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

And the answer is:   Recycling

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMO, it isn't unreasonable to ask QVC to carry more natural fabrics, offering more would help, as long as polyester is available for those who like it, but it's a touchy subject here.  

I think most QVC buyers prefer polyester because it is wash and wear, doesn't wrinkle, shrink, fade, itch, and the fabric is less costly than natural fabrics. Some are allergic to wool.  

Plant based fabrics like cotton require a lot of water, so environmentalists complain about it.

Denim & Co has increased it's cotton clothing...Gary Goben says more customers are requesting it.  Martha Stewart carries a lot, too.  Isaac has cotton.  He's also using ramie and has been carrying cashmere.  I see more linen and cotton mix appearing this Spring.  Irish sweaters are made of 100% wool.

But, good luck getting QVC to make a major switch.  It would lose a lot of customers.  

I think the answer is a new fabric similar to polyester that has a much lower decomposition rate.  For now, recycling is part of the answer.  

Honored Contributor

@susieq1I'm another person who does not want my wardrobe 100% cotfon for reasons of fit and style  and care and comfort.  I want both.

I don't question that synthetics put their burden on the environment, but natural fibers aren't without their sins either.  They require massive amounts of the world's water, a product in short supply on every continent.

I do know that when we overbuy and can't wear out the majority of our excess, no matter the fabric, damage to our bank accounts is probably less than the damage to the environment no matter the fabric.