Honored Contributor

Re: Polyester By Any Other name is Still Polyester

@Mz iMac. Didn't one designer also name a fabric "whisper knit"?

Honored Contributor

I have nothing against polyester fabric. But what bothers me is, don't give it a fancy name and then inflate the price of the garment. We all know that polyester fabrics are much less expensive to produce than the natural fabrics: cotton, linen, wool and silk.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Shanus

I just837514213.gif837514213.gif till I crack a rib at some of these so called fancy names for polyester.  I recently found out SG "Liquid Knit" is actually polyester (92%) & spandex. 

But DB gets the clothing OSCAR for naming polyester "Caviar Crepe Knit!" 173836.gif

After my father died (5 yrs ago) as my brothers & I were cleaning out his closet, his whole wardrobe was "Caviar Crepe Knit." Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

whisper knits are by louis dell olio and they are made of rayon/nylon.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I do not wear polyester or other man made materials because they are made with toxic materials.  These toxins leach into our skin and cause skin conditions, cancer and respiratory problems and diseases.

It makes no sense to me to proclaim that you take care of yourself through diet and exercise and then bombard your body and home with these toxins.

Yes, I do know that some natural fabrics have chemical treatments as well.  I try to avoid the treatments, such wrinkle free, insect resistant, etc.

It's a personal choice and I made mine.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I try my hardest not to buy this garbage fabric. It doesn't hold up long while wearing it, but hundreds of years from now, it will still be in our landfills.

@Carmie

Polyester is made from by-products of petroleum production.  Oil came from the earth.  Eventually poly will degrade - maybe just take a bit longer that some would like.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie I didn't realize how toxic polyester could be but there can be some really carcinogenic chemicals in them.  I don't want that on my body either.   

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

whisper knits are by louis dell olio and they are made of rayon/nylon.

Rayon is a by product of cellulose and petroleum and nylon is made from a material that is a by product of the manufacturing of rubber. All these synthetic fibers were developed as a means of making money from waste materials. Most were developed by Dupont. Many are , in fact, toxic.

Honored Contributor

@151949

you may want to read about all of the toxic chemicals that go into the production when making a COTTON shirt . nearly all fabrics are treated with chemicals before, during, and/or after the manufacturing process.

as someone said on another thread.......wear what you like and dont wear what you dont like. it really is that simple.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Don't pick at me because you don't like what you see when you read the FACTS. I simply googled and relayed what I found out.