Esteemed Contributor

Re: Polyester By Any Other name is Still Polyester

[ Edited ]

If anyone doesn't think some forms of polyester can be cooling, wick moisture, and isn't hot, I recommend a perusal of the tags in the athletic/sports apparel departments and stores.  Nike, Under Armour, Puma, Speedo, TYR, Champion, Danskin, and every other brand you can think of uses polyester as the fabric, or part of the fabrication, in the majority of their apparel -- including uniforms and clothing worn by world class professional/amateur sports teams and individual athletes.  

Respected Contributor

So nobody has anything in their closets made of polyester?  LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about DB or anyone else's new fangled names for polyester.

But I will say that polyester has come a long way from what it used to be back in the day when my mom wore it when I was a small child.  Also, not all polyester feels the same either.  Like any other material, it's not all created equally.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Who are Polly and Esther and why would they make such a disgusting fabric?

Your sisters? 

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor

Just wish it weren't so eco-UNfriendly. Some mills are making polyester from recycled plastic bottles. I really like this idea, however still unsustainable.

Many pieces of clothing I own has some polyester in it. It's high-performance fabric at it's best, imo.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

So nobody has anything in their closets made of polyester?  LOL

I don't have any polyester clothing and refuse to wear anything but natural fabrics. I don't think this is unusual at all.

i do have a bed comforter or two that are polyester and a pair of white door curtains with the thin rods at the top and bottom that I hate.  They keep turning yellow from the sun. I soak them in water and detergent for the dishwasher for days to whiten them.

I try my hardest not to buy this garbage fabric. It doesn't hold up long while wearing it, but hundreds of years from now, it will still be in our landfills.

Honored Contributor

No one here is saying anyone shouldn't wear polyester. We are saying is you should be AWARE of what your spending your money on and how it is going to perform for you, and what the value of that fabric actually is. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

No one here is saying anyone shouldn't wear polyester. We are saying is you should be AWARE of what your spending your money on and how it is going to perform for you, and what the value of that fabric actually is. 

people ARE aware of what they are spending their money on......no matter WHAT fabric it is. my money, my choices......as long as i am wearing it, look good in it, feel comfortable, and the price is right then i made the right choice. long live polyester, and any fabrics that work for you.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Today's polyester is not the polyester of years ago.  I can remember my dad having some double knit polyester pants that could almost stand up on their own!  LOL!  They were horrible!  Even then I would make comments about them but today some poly blends are made really to be very nice & soft.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

If anyone doesn't think some forms of polyester can be cooling, wick moisture, and isn't hot, I recommend a perusal of the tags in the athletic/sports apparel departments and stores.  Nike, Under Armour, Puma, Speedo, TYR, Champion, Danskin, and every other brand you can think of uses polyester as the fabric, or part of the fabrication, in the majority of their apparel -- including uniforms and clothing worn by world class professional/amateur sports teams and individual athletes.  

I think perhaps the quick drying aspects of polyester and some wicking properties make this popular in athletic wear.    

But polyester is known as a non breathable fabric.  I was always roasting when I wore it.  Maybe it also depends on the weave and chemicals used in processing.