Esteemed Contributor

Re: Poll--Bra reach around to snap or snap in front & twist around?

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I reach around and hook it from the back.

You are in good shape, then.  Even as a younger woman, I couldn't do that.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I have a lot of the step in bras so that is what I do most.  But if I have a back closure bra, I hook in front and spin around to the back.  I have never hooked a bra in the back.  I don't have a problem fitting myself into the cups since I can lean forward and then pull the straps up.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hook and spin.

Honored Contributor

I always hook it from the back.  I can't imagine doing a dance putting it on backwards then twisting the closure around to theback!  

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I've always started by snapping in front and then twisting the bra around to get the snaps in back (and breasts in cups, of course). I can't imagine having to reach behind my back to put on a bra. I put one on like this because that's what my mom did. Which method do you use?

@Goldengate8361 

Never, ever have I done what you described.  Sounds uncomfortable to me, but I guess it isn't if that's what you've been doing.  Small boobies here.

Now I can't wait to read what everyone else is doing, ha ha.

ETA Having read the replies, can I say that I'm amazed?  I had no idea a lot of women were doing this twist around thing.  I'm 73 and have no problem whatsoever reaching behind me - and my bras have just 2 hooks, so no problem there either.  But as I mentioned before, maybe having small boobies helps. 

I do the same but at 38D they aren't small.  The few times that I tried twisting it around they were bouncing all over and my bras all have three or four hooks.

Honored Contributor

For awhile I was using bra extenders on my bras and had to hook it in front and twist it around.  Finally bought the proper size bra--42C with 3 hooks and have no problem hooking it in the back.

I've tried those bras that you either step into??!!! or put over your head and I found them to be awful, e.g.,  Rhonda Shears bra and also Bali's that come in small, medium, large. etc.

I'm surprised at how many hook it in front and then twist it around--LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@KBEANS  You are too funny!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361    That is exactly what I have to do , since I've had a very sore shoulder.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I've always started by snapping in front and then twisting the bra around to get the snaps in back (and breasts in cups, of course). I can't imagine having to reach behind my back to put on a bra. I put one on like this because that's what my mom did. Which method do you use?

The proper way -- like you do.

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The proper way -- like you do.

@rms1954 

If you google "the right way to put on a bra" as I just did, you might be surprised.  Here's just one example, from Anita dot com (a bra company).  But there were many, many others saying the same thing.

The Wrong Way
The majority of women put their bras on the wrong way. The most common way is when you clasp your bras in the front and then swivel it around your body, pulling the straps on at the end. While this may seem like the most convenient way to putting on your most-needed undergarment, it can tug at the fabric in ways that it shouldn’t be pulled. It can also stretch the straps, making them fall off your shoulders even on the shortest setting; the setting that was once fitting.

The Right Way
The proper way to putting on a bra is to put your arms through the straps. Place the bra on your breasts, reach around the back and clasp the band together. You’ve seen it in movies and even on lingerie models as you skipping through your favorite magazine. However, many women still don’t put their bra on this way. It’s an odd movement, and getting those clasps together without looking can seem impossible.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett