Respected Contributor

Does anyone remember Dotted Swiss fabric? I don't see it around anymore, but when I was a child it was everywhere.

I had an aunt who sewed a lot and made me beautiful things. A favorite dress she made was of light green dotted Swiss, and the skirt had layers. I have a picture of me, 6-7 yrs old, with my brother (sitting on a window seat) and I'm wearing that dress. At that time, there was a photographer who went house to house and took pictures.

I also remember that some people had curtains of white dotted Swiss.

Honored Contributor

There is also clip dot too. From Coldwater Creek website:
Clip Dot Blouse, Brilliant Magenta, large

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

peachesncream ~ I have light pink dotted Swiss drapes with covered cornice pieces in a bedroom ~ they are antique and I adore them! My grandmother had them made for her bedroom ~

Respected Contributor
On 2/13/2015 Irish1210 said:

peachesncream ~ I have light pink dotted Swiss drapes with covered cornice pieces in a bedroom ~ they are antique and I adore them! My grandmother had them made for her bedroom ~

It's so sweet that you've held onto them. I bet they are beautiful!
Esteemed Contributor
On 2/13/2015 peachesncream said:

Does anyone remember Dotted Swiss fabric? I don't see it around anymore, but when I was a child it was everywhere.

I had an aunt who sewed a lot and made me beautiful things. A favorite dress she made was of light green dotted Swiss, and the skirt had layers. I have a picture of me, 6-7 yrs old, with my brother (sitting on a window seat) and I'm wearing that dress. At that time, there was a photographer who went house to house and took pictures.

I also remember that some people had curtains of white dotted Swiss.

YES!! I remember dotted swiss and one of my favorite dresses in grade school was a navy and white dotted swiss. The bottom was very full, it was beautiful.

Regular Contributor

I do like polka dots although i just have one cardigan in pink with white dots. when i was young I had several polka dot dresses that I can remember.

And I loved dotted swiss -- my mother loved to sew and made me several that I remember. My favorite was a light blue that she make using the reverse side of the fabric as the right side -- I had it for the next to last day of school party and always loved it.

Honored Contributor

Hey, I have sheer yellow 'dotted Swiss' curtains in my kitchen! (Ran across them in a storage container of mine from years ago.) Also a lime green set. I believe I ordered them from JC Penney catalog. Anyway, they look brand new, so a couple or so years ago, I decided to use the yellow in my kitchen side window over the sink. Love them. Love dotted Swiss........wondering if it's easily available now-a-days?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Love them, they are so 50's and I love anything retro. Saw a lady Saturday dressed for Valentine's Day. She had a polka dot red dress, red shoes & lipstick. She was in her 70's and looked so cute.

Trusted Contributor

Small dots on a solid (usually navy or black) background is a classic and very nice look. Some of the pieces pictured above with big (huge?) dots don't appeal to me at all and would flatter very few figures, IMO. If the dots are big, the look becomes bold, splashy, almost a parody of the restrained and classic small-dot look.

Honored Contributor

The outfits with large dots remind me of Little Dot, the comic book character (way back when).