Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I feel bad for the plus size models when they stuff them into clothing that is oviously too small and NOT flattering for their figures.  When you are large, you need to wear clothing that suits your body type.  I see more ads using plus size models such as Lands End and some women's magazines but they look nice in what they are wearing.  Q's clothing is NOT for every body type IMO.  Sometimes too,  I think they are trying to make large sizes feel better but from a health standard, they are doing them no favors.  Overweight is not healthy.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I am 5' 7", 143 lbs. and take a size medium in Isaac's clothing.   In other words I guess I"d be considered average.   My complaint with plus size or any size models is having them in the wrong size.   It would be a great justice to everyone if they weren't stuffed into everything.  Also, if Amy (tiny little Amy)  is a size xs there is no way Shawn is an xs or even a small.    And if they can't find proper fitting clothing for Carolyn well then let the models do their job.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I heard something on HSN a couple of weeks ago that really made me stop and reconsider everything I thought to be true. Bobby Ray was presenting a DG2 Ponte knit pant and stated that she never wears any of the clothing they sell directly from the rack; it's all been altered to fit her! The pants she was wearing were purportedly the first piece without alteration

That certainly would explain why Amy and Shawn are wearing the same size

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

I belive there are only maybe three altogether true plus models....

meaning 1X, 2X or 3X......and the latter two are NEVER shown.

Extra Large and Large are NOT plus models...........and it seems

the main models that are shown these days are XS, XXS  and 

5ft 9inches or over and most of the hosts sizes are in the XS range......except maybe Mary Beth, Pat, Jane, Carolyn.....who are either Med or X large......................the petite models are no shorter then 5ft 2 1/2............and also most of the fashions popular today are tunic length anfd don't do the petite figure any favors...........

Pretty impossible at times to see the "perfect" size for you to judge as it relates to your figure................

@kelsey17 

Eh.   Most women already have a pretty good sense of what looks good on them, and what doesn't.  If I saw clothing on only plus size models, I'd never buy any of it.   Let's face it, clothing won't look as good on  a 5x as it will on a size medium.  JMO, of course, and this has nothing to do with fat shaming.   It's a visual thing.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mitzywhite wrote:

They need to show a variety of heights and sizes, including more 5'2" and under and 1X, 2X and 3X.  A 2X on a shorter woman is a lot different than a 2X on a woman who is 5'9.  I hate having to return clothes because they are too long.

@mitzywhite 

Why is this happening?   You obviously aren't checking lengths before making a decision to purchase.  Or, do like many others do, and just have the item hemmed.  For shorter women, it's a common thing.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

just turned it on......i see a "regular sized host" and two "regular sized models" and a "regular sized vendor with a regular sized model." so, maybe it depends on what you are watching and when you are watching? i am seeing FIVE "regular sized people" all on the air right now. no plus sized women.

i do find this thread kind of sad.

“When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my only response is that I am thankful I have a cup.” – Sam Lefkowitz
Highlighted
Contributor

I agree 150%.  It's been shocking.

Highlighted
Contributor

Most of the comments I read are not about "fat shaming."  It's about representation and the setting of standards and normalizing obesity. The number of plus-sized models being used, the condition of their physiques makes me wonder about the health of women in the US. I will do some research on statistics to see if most women in the US are plus-sized. If that's the case, I can see why these home shopping networks are dominating their air time with plus-sized models. But just as plus sized gals felt under-represented before, average and slim gals could be under-represented now. Oh, and speaking of shaming, many times naturally thin women are shamed. You know - they're called names like Skinny B and so on. Have to try to be fair all around.

Highlighted
Contributor

I think the number becomes "too  many" when an average or slim person is under-represented; when every time she looks up she sees two or three plus-sized models on the screen and no average to slim women.  It's "too many" when the balance is off and we begin to wonder if obesity is the norm now.

Highlighted
Contributor

Now, that is a balanced comment.  Thank you.