Honored Contributor

Re: Please, no more spandex in clothes!

@LRap 

I'm pretty sure that all the spandex, on the shopping channel, translates to less returns.

But more importantly without it certain hosts couldn't say they're wearing an xxsmall! LOL

The last two Isaac Mizrahi pieces I picked up had no spandex in them. They're both cotton knits. There are lines outside of the Q that don't overload everything with spandex. Topshop comes to mind

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I require some spandex in my tops and pants.  Feel more comfortable and look better.  Of course you would not want to put in a hot dryer, but that is not good for any material, not just spandex.  I put in low dryer for a short time to take out washer creases then hang to dry.  My clothes definitely do not look old and worn.

@LRap   Looks like you are in the minority in the spandex vote.

Esteemed Contributor

I also like a thick, quality cotton..... as long as it has a little bit of spandex in it.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@LRap wrote:

I am watching Denim & Co. I see a few things I like, but they all have spandex. I am hoping someone will make tops, pants, jeans, etc. without any spandex/lycra in them. After awhile, the spandex starts stretching and the clothes get baggy and look horrible. I don't know who started this trend, but I wish they would stop. I like to buy classic clothes and keep them for several years. I can't afford to buy a new wardrobe every couple years because the spandex is starting to rot.

Please bring back 100% thick, QUALITY cotton!

Denim & Co. has had spandex for as long as I remember, 95% cotton, 5% spandex.  It is only fairly recently that they started adding other materials.  Or maybe fairly recently for me since I haven't bought much in this line.

QVC does offer things without stretch.  Tolani, which I love, comes to mind.  Logo and Isaac offer many tops without spandex, many 100% cotton.

Trusted Contributor

I like a little spandex in my clothes.  100% cotton shrinks and never holds it's shape. Any 100% cotton items I have purchased from expensive top end cottone to the lower end all shrank and became shapeless.  And I babied those things.  I used delicate cycle hung dry, ironed, you name it. Always shrank and was wrinkled.  They all wound up in the donation bin.   And I have never been able to breathe in 100 % cotton.  I find it hot and sufficating.  To me it's nasty. Even the ones that boast how "soft" and "breathable" they are.  Oddly I have no problem with a little spandex in clothes.  But 100% cotton is big no for me.  I have bad luck with it.  

Respected Contributor

The spandex in their shirts just makes them cling IMO. I won't buy their shirts anymore because of this. 

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE spandex in my clothing, so comfortable and amazing fit.  I NEVER had anything stretch out.  The majority of my apparel is higher quality purchased elsewhere which is most likely why it doesn’t stretch/bag out EVER!

Respected Contributor

I agree. I hate all the stretchy clothes.  I especially hate it in jeans.

Honored Contributor

I don't think that I have any tops or sweaters with spandex, but all my jeans and pants have a little bit of stretch. I wear mostly skinny jeans, so the fit is more to my liking with a little spandex. I get a closer but also more comfortable fit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I agree!  I bought some 100% cotton tops this summer. I handwashed them & hung them to dry like I do with most of my tops. They stretched out after one wash! I have long arms. I do not like Denim &  Co.'s perfect jersey though. They had a few jersey tee's that I picked up &  I love them! My jeans feel better with a little spandex.