Honored Contributor

Please help with my new Rowenta steamer

[ Edited ]

This steamer spit water all over the first item I tried it on.  OK, let it heat up longer, I counted out two minutes.  But if this is not normal please tell me.  Also, it makes a hammering sound as it works, one review mentioned this.  I dumped the water after my first two tests to take a measurement, it used about half on two shirt fronts.   It did smooth out a modal badly wrinkled top and a heavy flannel shirt. I didn't try the seams yet.  Is that steam bonnet mandatory or is it OK the way it is?

Respected Contributor

Re: Please help with my new Rowenta steamer

@depglass   just troubleshooting here.  i have a rowenta steamer. love it.  did you over fill the water container?  try with a little less than the full line. 

i have never used the crease feature. i havent found i really need it. sooooo........

Esteemed Contributor

Assorted minerals from my tap water (great lakes) makes the iron/steamer 'spit', and make thudding noises like the water heater.

MIL said she used the water distilled from the air by her basement dehimidifier in her steam iron.

Tried it.  It's my method now too!

I have extra bottles of it lined up to get me through to next summer.

Honored Contributor

I've owned a Rowenta steamer for years which lasted and lasted and am now on my second one I bought at Macy's (good price and I had a discount coupon).  Mine has not done the things the OP is describing, but if it's spitting when the water first comes out, I'd give it two or three bursts of steam into the air first before applying to a garment.

Respected Contributor

just thought i'd add, mine specifically said to only use tap water. 

Honored Contributor

We have a well with a Culligan system, but lime still gets through.  So I use distilled water.  I used a half cup of water, 4 oz instead of 5.  Will do another experiment today.