Honored Contributor

Re: Please help - mother of the bride dresses ???

I have had luck with MOTB, formal wedding guest and semi formal wedding guest shopping online at Nordie and Dillards!  Dillards actually has a bazillion selections.  They were marvelous about returns.I had a wedding in England that was formal, and a wedding here in my home town.   I ordered probally 10 dresses and sent them all back.  Most of them were perfect fitting, and gorgeous.  They all were dresses that were a decent value.  They just were either too dressy, or the wrong color.  One dress i chose, I found out was the bridesmaids maids colors, so that was a done deal....back it went.  I wound up wearing a dress I wore to my daughters wedding in 2000, if you can believe that.  It was still in style, was 50 dollars to clean, and I was set.  I got more compliments on that dress than anything I wore in 1o years!

Dillards was fast and they give full refunds, I have trouble selecting dresses because I have arthritis and issues with shoes.  Because of back I have to wear flats, it is awful finding a fancy dress that looks good with flats.  Then try to find dressy flats. 

I do not do sleeveless either, and it is hard to find a dress with a jacket that is tolerable in warm weather.  I love midis myself or a maxi.

Congrats to you.  What color are you looking for???  That is a biggy,

Respected Contributor

Wonderful selection of dresses, Lola!  You are amazing. 

Actually you helped me find a dress over a year ago.  I finally went with a dress from Macy's.  I've loved the dress, only wore it once.  I was happy a month or so ago when I saw a TV newscaster wearing it!

Respected Contributor

A BIG THANKS to each of you.  I've been busy going to many of the places you've mentioned.  I really appreciate each reply and the time you have taken to find appropriate dresses.  I WILL let you know when I choose one.

You gals are the BEST!!!!!  Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

When I was married, my Mother bought a lovely dress as MOB.  In five weeks, my soon to be SILwas married, Mom had a lovely dress that complimented her wedding, two weeks after that a friend was married SIL & I were in that wedding, then two weeks later, MY wedding.  My Mom ended up wearing the same dress she wore to my SIL's wedding.  The one she bought for mine didn't fit her.

In 5 weeks there were 3wedding dresses, 6 bridesmaid dresses.  The 3 of us were in each others wedding.

My Mom was so upset that she was wearing the same dress she had worn to SIL wedding.  So many people knew she had already worn it.

Don't sweat the small stuff, your daughters are already doing that!!!  Have fun and PLEASE wear PANTYHOSE. Those models looked awful in those lovely dresses and no pantyhose!!  It finishes an outfit.----------tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@fleetwood wrote:

How funny that I see this thread. My daughter is getting married in May too! I have been looking for a dress since October. I found one that I was all excited about and it would have been perfect but when I went to order it, it had been discontinued. It was a knee length sheath with a 3/4 sleeve jacket from Social Occasions by Mon Cheri. So anyway, now my search continues. 

I feel doubly overwhelmed as my other daughter is also getting married this year in August. I need to find 2 dresses and 2 outfits for the showers, not to mention the shoes, jewerly, clutches and such that go along with it.

I wish you luck on finding your special dress and congrats to your family.

can't help much on the dress, but perhaps a neutral or metallic shoe and bag that will go with both will help both the budget and just be easier. Jewelry is easy, classic pearls and diamonds which can be real or copies

Honored Contributor

https://www.renttherunway.com/   dress rental service, I have never used it but it has possiblilites.

I actually have something coming up in April, I buy a dress and then wear it once, so this is worth a try

Honored Contributor

@spent2much

Unless there is a reason you cannot go try on dresses, if you have a Nordstrom (or better department store), make an appointment with a personal shopper.  Nordstrom will order dresses for you.  Fitted sheath formal/cocktail dresses are tricky, particularly as we age.  Some of us are larger on top and smaller on the bottom.  Some of us are the opposite.  It is usually best to go with a size that fits your largest area, then have alterations. (Nordstrom will do them for you)  They will also help you accessorize, including appropriate undergarments.

Bridal shops always carry MOB dresses at all pricepoints.  They too will do alterations.

Enjoy the experience of helping your daughter plan her wedding. 

Honored Contributor

@fleetwood wrote:

How funny that I see this thread. My daughter is getting married in May too! I have been looking for a dress since October. 

I feel doubly overwhelmed as my other daughter is also getting married this year in August. I need to find 2 dresses and 2 outfits for the showers, not to mention the shoes, jewerly, clutches and such that go along with it.

@fleetwood

If you would like help with your upcoming functions, feel free to start a new thread and people can chime in with their finds. Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

I think the personal shopper suggestion is a great idea. If you don't have access to a store that provides personal shopper serivces, have you tried Full Beauty (www.fullbeauty.com)? They specialize in plus sized clothing, beginning at size 14. They carry special event clothing and feature a wide variety of providers from Alex Evenings to Roamans. You can sort by size, color, price range, etc. Be sure to check the size chart for anything you're considering. IMO, Full Beauty's sizes run large (i.e., vanity sizing - their medium would be a large elsewhere), but some of the brands' sizes are quite different from Full Beauty's sizes. They also sell lingerie, shoes and accessories. Good luck!