Occasional Contributor

Re: Please give suggestions for VINTAGE COLLECTION of women's items. Thank you!

In the '40s and '50s (and NO, I'm NOT speaking from experience...lol) a lady was not considered well dressed unless she had on her white cotton gloves. And in the summer she wore lightweight gloves of a lacey, nylon type material. That would be a fun item to hunt for.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 PiperCub said:

In the '40s and '50s (and NO, I'm NOT speaking from experience...lol) a lady was not considered well dressed unless she had on her white cotton gloves. And in the summer she wore lightweight gloves of a lacey, nylon type material. That would be a fun item to hunt for.

Thanks, Piper! The older gloves can be sooo beautiful, and I saw in an antiques mall what I guess you would call a 'gloves bag' or something, kind of like a big felt envelope: it was made of felt, with cute felt appliques of gloves and pearls, etc., so cute and for just a few bucks, I think I'll have to try to get it next week!
Respected Contributor

Plaid Stamps were the red tartan plaid stamps were given by the A&P

a Scotch Cooler. a red and gold Tartan plaid cooler, round barrel shape with a handle.

old wine bottles. Mateus Rose was major big in the 70s. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

Honored Contributor

I loved the old vanity sets with a hairbrush and mirror.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 ashleigh dupray said:

Plaid Stamps were the red tartan plaid stamps were given by the A&P

a Scotch Cooler. a red and gold Tartan plaid cooler, round barrel shape with a handle.

old wine bottles. Mateus Rose was major big in the 70s. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill

Ashleigh, thank you for the suggestions! I just looked up the 'Scotch Cooler', that looks so cute and sooo vintage! I'll have to keep an eye out for one! Thanks again!
Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 AuntG said:

I loved the old vanity sets with a hairbrush and mirror.

Thanks, Aunt G! I got a cute green plastic set, but I'm hoping for a little more luxurious one someday, lol! My plastic set it a brush and comb, and I have a pink plastic hand mirror! I've seen some in silver and such, maybe someday! They sure add a touch of femininity.......
Esteemed Contributor

You could start a museum!

I kept my old Marshall Field's charge card & a bag. I was heartbroken when Macy's bought them out.

Super Contributor

On 3/1/2015 Mary Bailey said:

You could start a museum!

I kept my old Marshall Field's charge card & a bag. I was heartbroken when Macy's bought them out.

Mary, it's a sickness, I tell ya, lol! And yes, I WOULD have my own museum, lol!!! I guess I just love things that are so commonplace, yet so loved. [One of my favorite collectibles is old scrapbooks. Not the expensive Victorian ones (though I wouldn't turn down one as a gift, lol!), but the plain old homemade simple ones. Hubby and I just got a simple, few pages one from WWII, and it was so moving, I was in tears.] I will definitely be on the lookout for a charge card! Thank you for the suggestion!
Honored Contributor

hatboxes-

Image result for vintage hatbox

spectator shoes-

Image result for vintage spectator shoes women

train case-

Image result for vintage train case

compacts-

Image result for vintage compact

curlers-

Image result for vintage hair curlers

Super Contributor

Glove box, (long oval box covered in quilted satin), hose keeper, (silk like bag that held nylons so they would not snag), anything Bakelite (jewelry, buttons, utensils, brushes etc.)