Honored Contributor

Re: Platinum streaks on black hair

I'd favor strawberry highlights. White is very extreme and harsh looking, which our skin doesn't need.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Skylands said:

Ask Shawn!

You need to add "Real" color. Go to a salon that does this.

Just don't do it like Shawn. Honestly, I can't stand the look. I certainly don't see it anywhere else.

Super Contributor

On 11/26/2014 violann said: My natural color is horrid- white in front, wet newspaper gray in back and I've considered trying black and white lowlights. Let us know what you decide.

I'm white in front and light brown scattered with gray in back. I use Feria #91. It gives me a multi-tone beige blonde that looks great.

Respected Contributor

On 11/26/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Ask Shawn!

Just don't do it like Shawn. Honestly, I can't stand the look. I certainly don't see it anywhere else.

I agree. Shawn's hair looked better before. The contrast between the dark brown and blonde is too much.

Super Contributor

On 11/26/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Ask Shawn!

That may be the point ... many of us prefer a unique look.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer the look of subtle highlights. Check with your hairdresser and get her (or his) opinion. I like black and white in clothes and decor, but not on hair.

Respected Contributor

When the front section of my hair became dye resistant, my stylist suggested letting it go white there because the white was beautiful. The rest of my hair would be salt and pepper but it's colored dark brown/black. The contrast is striking and NOT skunkish. Receive many compliments from old and young, men and women. So, go for the color (s) you want. Perhaps let a stylist do the first coloring. BTW, you'll have to be careful when rinsing the dye off the dark hair: do it first and when clean, go back and do the white. If you don't, the dye will get on the white and your desired effect will be ruined. Good Luck.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill