Valued Contributor

Pg 2: I am a nincompoop - 9/25/21...

A few times a week, I turn on the radio (K-LOVE), open my closet doors, and spend an hour or so "playing" in my closet.  I try different outfit combinations, purge, organize, take pics, mend, iron, etc.  I escape from the world for a while and think about fashion and style...no epiphanies...nothing intellectually stimulating...just thinking creatively and unwinding.  Thought I'd share some of those pics and thoughts here...

All the clues were there.  

I walked into a small Wrightsville beach boutique this week.  Just me and two sales associates...complete strangers who acted as if I was their long lost friend.  That was clue #1.  Sales associates are not my friends.  My Dad's advice, and I think it's good advice:  Never, ever fully trust someone trying to sell you something.  They were good, I'll give them that much.  

Clue #2 was going anywhere near the sale rack.  Three months ago I said "no more summer items," so why was I even looking thru the sale rack?  'Cuz I'm a nincompoop, that's why!

Clue #3:  Did I not say in last week's Pg 2 thread that I don't particularly like patterned/printed pants?  Why, yes!  Yes, I did!  I'm a nincompoop.

Clue # 4:  How many times must I remind myself that items I think are unusual or interesting or whimsical are usually only unusual, interesting, or whimsical on the hanger in the store (or in an online pic or a window display), NOT in my closet or on me?  Apparently, I don't remind myself enough...probably 'cuz I'm a nincompoop.

Clue #5:  They were a final sale, no returns.  The last FIVE danged final sale purchases were failures, which is why I told myself in no uncertain terms "do not buy final sale items"...what kind of fool am I?   Nin.com.fool!

These rank as one of the most ridiculous purchases I've ever made.  They are sooooo not me! 

One mistake I won't make is keeping them just because [fill-in-the-blank]...I spent the $$...I might wear them around the house...I might get invited to a Southwestern-themed party...hey I could make unusual, interesting, whimsical cut-offs out of them.  OMG!  The nincompoopery is utterly staggering!!

Your opinions are welcome, but these are already in the donation bag...$40 down the drain.

I'm truly curious...when you realize an item is a "what was I thinking" thang, what is your answer?  Do you say, "oh well, too bad, so sad," and toss it in the donation bag without another thought?  Do you kick yourself and call yourself names, such as nincompoop hahaha?  Do you try all kinds of tweaks to make it work?  Do you try to figure out why you bought that particular item so you don't make the same mistake later?

#1 of 3...

20210925_152341.jpg

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Valued Contributor

Re: Pg 2: I am a nincompoop - 9/25/21...

I thrifted this at the Goodwill Boutique, so at least I didn't waste a lot of money.  My best guess is that this item is from the country now known as Imported.   You know those ads that follow you around the internet, flashing really cute (or unusual, interesting, and/or whimsical) clothes?  I think this is from one of those companies.  Misslook was the brand IIRC.  

It's not one of the worst purchases I ever made (see previous post hahaha), but it's close.   The zipper was wavy...the beads were cheap as was the material.  And, it was a size 2XL...I'm a small/med, yet it fit me.  I thought I could wear it with these skinnies, but I don't like it at all.  

Then, I almost added to my nincompoopery by actually considering buying a pair of white leggings to go with.  Then, I thought I could wear it as a swim suit cover-up.  Then, finally...blessedly!...I remembered that I do not want to clutter up my closet again with stuff I might be able to make work...that I might buy something to go with...that I might whatever...you get the picture.  And another one bites the dust hey hey... 

#2 of 3...

20210912_152658.jpg

~~~11th Commandment: Thou shalt not quote MacDuff's ridiculously long posts; once is ridiculously long enough. Amen~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDuFF We all have our NCPoop moments....I guess that's how we learn.  I'm still releasing those "oh I my might be asked to a Cinderella ball moment" clothes.  We have all been there.  Love ya for being so real.

Valued Contributor

This one is a possibility...I'm determined not to be a complete nincompoop...a partial nincompoop is what I aspire to hahaha. 

Thrifted at GW Boutique.  I like vests for transitional weather, and I especially like sweater vests vs. jacket-like vests.  But...

Argyle.  When I think of argyle, I think of socks...or, worse, old geezer day at the golf course haha.  I had a pair of argyle tights in third grade.  I'm thrilled that I can wear these old pink Aquatalia loafers, so there's that.  The outfit seems too preppy or something for me...?   

Yay or Nay...

#3 of 3...

20210912_151644.jpg

Respected Contributor

I sort of hoped my nincompoopery has abated over the years, but I know there are two drawers full of the "Cinderella" style tops blinking back at me if I dare open them.  Last week I dragged a giant trash bag of "stuff" that I hardly remember and put in to the curb!  Liberating!

Incidentally, your sense of humor is a thing of joy and your writing style something to be envied.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@MacDuFF 

Love your writing and this post had me laughing aloud! I think just perhaps, maybe, well no doubt at all..... we have all been in similar situations and done the same ridiculous things and knew it at the time but kept right on doing it. So funny.

I like the argyle vest. I have a soft spot for it, no bad memories, and you look great in it. The shoes are excellent!

Respected Contributor

I must have no sense of style...I think you have a great figure and posture and make all of these outfits look great. 

Trusted Contributor

@MacDuFF wrote:
This one is a possibility...I'm determined not to be a complete nincompoop...a partial nincompoop is what I aspire to hahaha. 

Thrifted at GW Boutique.  I like vests for transitional weather, and I especially like sweater vests vs. jacket-like vests.  But...

Argyle.  When I think of argyle, I think of socks...or, worse, old geezer day at the golf course haha.  I had a pair of argyle tights in third grade.  I'm thrilled that I can wear these old pink Aquatalia loafers, so there's that.  The outfit seems too preppy or something for me...?   

Yay or Nay...

#3 of 3...

20210912_151644.jpg

I worked at a Maurices for 13 years.  I had a similar argyle vest in red, black, and white, back in the 1980s. I wore it with a white blouse and black stretch pants.  No jeans allowed at work, and all my clothes came from the store where I worked.. 

One night, I had a flat tire on my way to work, and very quickly a man with a broken arm pulled over and changed my tire for me.  I couldn't believe how hard he worked with a broken arm, no less!

I thanked him and before getting into his own car, he asked me, "I forget what bar you work in"

No, I wasn't moonlighting on the side.  One of my favorite stories.  He apparently thought I was a cocktail waitress.

Nay. 

Respected Contributor

I like them all. Love your wit and humor.

Respected Contributor

I think being attuned to fashion means experimenting and trying out different styles and looks.

Not everything will look great, but not everything will look terrible, either.  So it all comes down to deciding if it is something you love, or something you will wear, or something you just want!

I have donated plenty of items with tags still attached.  I have also donated items that I outgrew (looks too youthful now), or just grew bored of wearing. Sometimes I bought items just for a certain occasion, but never found an opportunity to wear them again. 

I would never call any shopper a nincompoop!  Of course, you may regret having spent the money, but life will go on.

Thanks for sharing your fun fashion experiences!