Super Contributor

Re: Petite vs. Regular vs. Tall

I am 5'5" tall and many of the regular length pants are way too long on me.  I called customer service regarding the pettite measurements and learned that it depends on the item; some are just shorter while others are smaller throughout.  Wish the presenters would provide specific sizing info in their presentations!  Any questions, I would check the measurements listed or call CS to confirm.

Esteemed Contributor

I wish they would say whether they are sold as petite also instead of calling up and asking. I am a medium and about 5 ft. Afraid to get a ten for it might be tight--a little tummy. One place I order from has a medium a 12-14 and it sags in the butt. I twist over the waist but it doesn't always stay in pants. Also d and c is getting to long and wide. I don't care for the designs lately and too expensive.

Honored Contributor

Usually the designer will say the petite is a true petite cut overall, if they don't and say it's interchangeable you can bet it's just the inseam that is shortened. It's best to checkout the garment size chart for the specific garment online to see for sure if you are indeed getting a petite cut. I know men don't wear heels usually, but the idea that any woman who isn't almost 6ft tall would need  more than a 32 inch inseam is hard to believe. I know men who are 6ft2 that do not wear a 32 inch inseam, you would indeed have to be all legs or wearing 5 inch heels to pull off anything more than a 32 inch inseam.IMO

Valued Contributor

I so agree! Anything for a sale. 

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

Usually the designer will say the petite is a true petite cut overall, if they don't and say it's interchangeable you can bet it's just the inseam that is shortened. It's best to checkout the garment size chart for the specific garment online to see for sure if you are indeed getting a petite cut. I know men don't wear heels usually, but thea that any woman who isn't almost 6ft tall would need  more than a 32 inch inseam is hard to believe. I know men who are 6ft2 that do not wear a 32 inch inseam, you would indeed have to be all legs or wearing 5 inch heels to pull off anything more than a 32 inch inseam.IMO

It's not hard to believe for me. I am 5'8" tall and need a 33-34" inseam to wear heels with slacks. I can get by with 31" if I wear flats. I have several friends and relatives who also need more than 32" inseam and all are under 6'. 

Honored Contributor

Some of us true petites are glad for a shorter inseam. I need a 25 inch...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Actually, you really have to listen carefully to the presentation.  Especially for pants and dresses.  I was watching a presentation when the designer, and I'm not sure which one but it definitely was not Quacker Factory, say "the petite pants were just shorter than the regular. "  I remember that exactly.   In fact, I've heard that with more than one brand on QVC.

In the past, petite meant all specifications and measurements were made to accommodate a defined petite figure.  But not anymore.  A lot of petite is just a shorter version only.  They may never tell you that explicitly during the presentation, but listen and look at the measurements. 

QF says it outright.  But at least a couple of the other QVC vendors tip-toe on that distinction; they say petite and then go on to say where the length will hit you.  If they don't also talk about where the rise or arms or bust darts hit you, it's likely just "shorter."  The ones that do offer true petite will talk about the other measurements.

Especially for pants, shorter is the new petite [sometimes], because of sales.  I'm a regular length, but If I want the ankle pants to be a crop pant, I can now buy the petite size as well.  If I want to wear the ankle pants at a regular length and with a tall heel I'll buy the tall length.  So they just got three pairs of pants out of me, where I normally would have only purchased one.

You hear that more & more in pants presentations.

Respected Contributor

If it’s not a true petite size they should just call it short then. Because true petite is actually smaller than a regular of the same size, and that is how it is undderstood to the viewer. I try to only shop where petites are offered, as my local tailor thinks $18 is a fair price for a hem and I think it’s highway robbery. Best places for petites for me are Loft, Banana Relublic, Old Navy, Lord & Taylor. I don’t buy much clothing at QVC or HSN but they do sometimes have petites which I appreciate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP, you just sold me on Jeanne Bice pants.  I know I've shrunk an inch so switched to petite, then the rise is uncomfortably short.  But I'm in your exact situation, 5"4" and long waisted.  No way will I sew with my lousy eyes and lack of patience,  and alterations are getting too expensive.