Honored Contributor

Re: People Magazine Has Named.....

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Nobody really takes these PEOPLE "best of whenever' lists seriously, do they?

Yes.  Whether accuate or not they set trends and dictate style in many ways.  Also, it's a huge money and publicity machine (i.e. this thread and thousands of others).

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

It is reported by the British newspapers that Meghan spends more on her clothing than any woman in the world and has outspent Kate and all the other royals together by $2 million.  So, if she is the best dressed woman in the world it is becuase she spends more than any woman in the world.  

@Nonametoday

???     Sorry, but that's just crazy.  WHICH papers reported this?  And just how would you have access to what all the other royals spend on clothing?  

The sons' annual living expenses are doled out through Charles, and that includes clothing allowances.   Of course, we really don't know what Meghan purchased for herself before the marriage, but she has a very nice style.   Each female royal has their own unique style, so Meghan shouldn't try to copy anyone else .....  I think she is doing fine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bascia wrote:

Now that she has married into money, she probably has a agent who will push for all publicity.

Not deserving of this award/title.  There are beautiful fashionable women out there who far surpass her.  someone dresses her, let a women who can put together outfits, run a family, work full time, and be active in her community take this title.  Not someone who money doesn't matter and has designers dressing her.

Let's get down to the everyday person who achieves in this world to get some of these awards.

@Bascia

You are completely missing the point here .....  the current "best dressed" person is selected on various wardrobe and fashion criteria .... plus whose cover will sell the most magazines, no doubt.

The award has absolutely nothing to do with working full time or "running" a family, etc.   

Honored Contributor

I understand not agreeing with People’s choice. I never agree on their best looking. It’s all rather silly, but I don’t understand the bitterness toward another country’s monarchy, particularly when we don’t pay taxes as UK citizens.  

The monarchy brings more money into the country with tourism than the expenditures of the royal family. 

It sounds rather petty. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I bet if they named someone like...

Kathleen Smith from Melbourne, Australia...

it wouldn’t sell as many magazines as

the It Girl for the Moment, Meghan Markle.

(sarcasm)

I’m sure Meghan’s manager cut a hefty check to People magazine.

Either that or the rights of new photos coming out. Money talks. 

@sidsmom, exactly.  I've always thought this.  Just like magazines are paid to recommend certain skincare, make-up, haircare, etc. 

Or when you see a celeb photographed out and about wearig a certain designer or carrying a certain handbag, many times they are paid to be seen in the clothing/handbag or they arrive at a set location, pick a handbag from a table, have the photo taken and go home.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I understand not agreeing with People’s choice. I never agree on their best looking. It’s all rather silly, but I don’t understand the bitterness toward another country’s monarchy, particularly when we don’t pay taxes as UK citizens.  

The monarchy brings more money into the country with tourism than the expenditures of the royal family. 

It sounds rather petty. 

@GenXmuse

???   People love to say that, although I don't think it's necessarily true.       

Since England has never NOT had a monarchy, they can't accurately compare it to tourism statistics WITHOUT a monarchy ... the proverbial before and after ....  so how can anyone be sure the cost-justification is accurate?  

Personally, I've been to England three times and none of those trips were influenced by the royals.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

(sarcasm)

@sidsmom, exactly.  I've always thought this.  Just like magazines are paid to recommend certain skincare, make-up, haircare, etc. 

Or when you see a celeb photographed out and about wearig a certain designer or carrying a certain handbag, many times they are paid to be seen in the clothing/handbag or they arrive at a set location, pick a handbag from a table, have the photo taken and go home.  LOL

@Lipstickdiva    @sidsmom

When magazines "recommend" anything, it's called advertising.   

IMO, I doubt Meghan's manager cut a hefty check, because promoting her is now useless ..... she had to give up her career, so what would be the point?  That would just be throwing money away.

IMO, more likely, People Magazine's sales spiked every time Meghan or Harry were on the cover this past year, so Best Dressed would be another opportunity to do so .....  until a baby bump is spotted.    

Respected Contributor

Megan looks great, but I think Amal Clooney should be best dressed.  Megan must sell more magazines.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope. I don’t agree. My vote goes to Amal Clooney too.Love her classy style!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

(sarcasm)

@Lipstickdiva    @sidsmom

When magazines "recommend" anything, it's called advertising.   

IMO, I doubt Meghan's manager cut a hefty check, because promoting her is now useless ..... she had to give up her career, so what would be the point?  That would just be throwing money away.

IMO, more likely, People Magazine's sales spiked every time Meghan or Harry were on the cover this past year, so Best Dressed would be another opportunity to do so .....  until a baby bump is spotted.    

@Tinkrbl44, I'm not talking about the ads that are in the magazines for certain products.  When Allure does their Best of Beauty issue, those products that make the list are on the list because the companies pay the magazine to put them on the "best of" list.    If Allure, Glamour, etc. recommends a certain foundation, eye cream, etc., it's because the company is paying that magazine to give their product the recommendation.

I would bet my last dollar that companies purchase a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, which means it's pretty meaningless.