Esteemed Contributor

Re: Patients now cancelling & delaying surgical procedures in view of Joan Rivers unexpected death

All I know is- I'm having my GI procedures done in hospitals from now on. I had my every 3 year colonoscopy done last winter- I also had an endocscopy done at the same time. The dr wanted to do them at differnt times- anethesia each time and I insisted they be done together. His office really gave me a hard time scheduling them together- I didn't want anethesia twice if it could be avoided. They gave in- it was at a surgical center. I've wanted to find another GI practice for awhile and now I will- one that tests in hospitals!

Honored Contributor

Re: Patients now cancelling & delaying surgical procedures in view of Joan Rivers unexpected death

If people want to risk their lives without needed surgery, go for it. You can't fix stupid.

A lot of procedures are done without general anesthesia now. Look into the options. I just had a knee replacement and was given a spinal plus meds to make me sleep which allowed me to continue breathing on my own.

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 sidsmom said:

Why would one cancel a needed surgery just because 'someone in the news' died? Weird.

When James Gandolfini died from a heart attack, did people stop eating greasy pastrami sandwiches, 20oz steaks & oily pasta because it's a greater than zero chance their same diet will kill them? Probably not.

Uh, as I approach his age range and see how many people are dropping dead that young of preventable disease.......yes, I take note.

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 GoodStuff said:

If Joan's death causes people to take surgery more seriously, she performed a valuable last service. NO surgery is without risks, and no one should go under the knife for trivial reasons or without thoroughly considering the risks vs. the advantages and researching the doctors and facilitiies they will be using. On the other hand, patients should not be overly fearful about having necessary procedures in good facilities performed by well qualified medical folks. It's a matter of deciding that something is necessary and not done on a whim, and that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I, for example, have had two total knee replacements. Not easy surgeries, but well worth the pain, risk, and trouble to be able to walk again and go about my normal activities with less pain!

A agree, a necessary surgery! Joan had so many unnecessary surgeries, and at the age of 81, she should have thought about this. All the facial work is not needed. She was not happy with herself inside, thats what needed work!

Honored Contributor

I work in a hospital and I sincerely doubt that more than a few people are cancelling their surgeries because of Joan's tragic experience. I think, if any good comes out of this tragedy, elderly people, even those in otherwise perfect health, will avoid surgicenters and have their invasive procedures in hospitals. I know in this area, that's the way it's done. A 68 year old co-worker was a bit miffed that her opthalmologist refused to do her cataract surgery in an outpatiet surgery center. He told her that at her age, he preferred to do it in a hospital. "Just in case". My mother was in her late 70's when she had the same diagnostic scope that Joan had, for the same reason, hoarseness. It was done in a hospital and they doc scheduled her scope for late in the afternoon and kept her overnight for observation. So, from thte beginning, I couldn't figure out why an 81 year old woman had her scope in an outpatient surgical facility. It always hurts to lose someone but it hurts even more when the death was preventable.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 kaybee said:
On 9/10/2014 sidsmom said:

Why would one cancel a needed surgery just because 'someone in the news' died? Weird.

When James Gandolfini died from a heart attack, did people stop eating greasy pastrami sandwiches, 20oz steaks & oily pasta because it's a greater than zero chance their same diet will kill them? Probably not.

Uh, as I approach his age range and see how many people are dropping dead that young of preventable disease.......yes, I take note.

ITA! My best friend had a stroke several weeks ago. 55, slender, low body fat, exercises, muscular...made me take note. BUT...she has some stress & prescribes to the Paleo diet for years.

Just a strong reminder.....just because the outside package is all pretty & looks good in a pair of jeans, doesn't mean you're healthy on the inside. I don't say anything to her, but it just strengthens my viewpoint on my LFWFPB eating style & daily meditation.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/10/2014 champagnepoodle said:
On 9/10/2014 GoodStuff said:

If Joan's death causes people to take surgery more seriously, she performed a valuable last service. NO surgery is without risks, and no one should go under the knife for trivial reasons or without thoroughly considering the risks vs. the advantages and researching the doctors and facilitiies they will be using. On the other hand, patients should not be overly fearful about having necessary procedures in good facilities performed by well qualified medical folks. It's a matter of deciding that something is necessary and not done on a whim, and that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I, for example, have had two total knee replacements. Not easy surgeries, but well worth the pain, risk, and trouble to be able to walk again and go about my normal activities with less pain!

A agree, a necessary surgery! Joan had so many unnecessary surgeries, and at the age of 81, she should have thought about this. All the facial work is not needed. She was not happy with herself inside, thats what needed work!

Not true in Joan's case. She wanted to be relevant in Hollywood at any age, that was more of the reason for her surgeries than anything. Watch 'A Piece of Work'.

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

I work in a hospital and I sincerely doubt that more than a few people are cancelling their surgeries because of Joan's tragic experience. I think, if any good comes out of this tragedy, elderly people, even those in otherwise perfect health, will avoid surgicenters and have their invasive procedures in hospitals. I know in this area, that's the way it's done. A 68 year old co-worker was a bit miffed that her opthalmologist refused to do her cataract surgery in an outpatiet surgery center. He told her that at her age, he preferred to do it in a hospital. "Just in case". My mother was in her late 70's when she had the same diagnostic scope that Joan had, for the same reason, hoarseness. It was done in a hospital and they doc scheduled her scope for late in the afternoon and kept her overnight for observation. So, from thte beginning, I couldn't figure out why an 81 year old woman had her scope in an outpatient surgical facility. It always hurts to lose someone but it hurts even more when the death was preventable.

I can tell you one thing that defintiely came out of this- my 86 yr old Dad refuses to go to dialysis now. He was going back and forth about it for awhile- he's on hospice for cardiac issues - but with Joan's passing he's said it's time for him now too.

Respected Contributor

Acupuncture has worked for me in other areas; perhaps now this will be considered as an alternative for potential patients to consider. My medical Dr. loves the idea.

Oh my dear ibb: please try to convince your Dad to continue his dialysis treatments. To do nothing will mean a lot of pain as his body shuts down. I've known people in both of these situations and believe me the dialysis patients do fare better in the long run.

Honored Contributor

I think Joan's situation should certainly raise our awareness, but I don't think we should become paranoid about it in relation to whatever procedure we need to have done. For me personally, my 27 years of employment in a hospital setting would not allow me to even entertain thoughts of having any medical procedure in a clinic or surgical center. Whatever happened to Joan, happened because of specific circumstances, which have yet to be revealed. Joan stayed ahead of the aging process on the outside with frequent surgeries and treatments, but internally, all of her major organs and systems were 81 years old. I would not let what has happened to Joan stop me from receiving any medical treatment I might need.