Honored Contributor

Re: Patients now cancelling & delaying surgical procedures in view of Joan Rivers unexpected death

On 9/10/2014 bonnielu said:

Interesting post. I thought I was alone. I am going to have a dental procedure next week and while it might not appear to be life threatening on the surface, an implant or two... I am having thoughts of Joan. I guess when it is your time to go, you go. That gives me some comfort I guess. But what happened to her is scary. I wonder who else it happens to that we never know about. She is a high profile case as was Michael Jackson.

I have having extractions and implants this week but with IV sedation no intabation, I am of course concerned but I do not think its remotely the same thing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Patients now cancelling & delaying surgical procedures in view of Joan Rivers unexpected death

If Joan's death causes people to take surgery more seriously, she performed a valuable last service. NO surgery is without risks, and no one should go under the knife for trivial reasons or without thoroughly considering the risks vs. the advantages and researching the doctors and facilitiies they will be using. On the other hand, patients should not be overly fearful about having necessary procedures in good facilities performed by well qualified medical folks. It's a matter of deciding that something is necessary and not done on a whim, and that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I, for example, have had two total knee replacements. Not easy surgeries, but well worth the pain, risk, and trouble to be able to walk again and go about my normal activities with less pain!

Esteemed Contributor

On 9/10/2014 ROMARY said:

Maybe pre-op testing?

Isn't this standard?? !

Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 ibb38 said:
On 9/10/2014 ROMARY said:

Maybe pre-op testing?

Isn't this standard?? !

It should be...but I think with time constraints in smaller offices it might not be done. That is a HUGE mistake! With my double knee replacements in 2013' a full physical, blood work up and EKG was done...and my up coming hip replacement this Oct 1st, I will have the same testing done this coming Friday. It is standard for the joint clinic I go to to be as healthy as possible prior to surgery. If your doctor does not do this prior to being put out, find a new doctor.
Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

Interesting post. I thought I was alone. I am going to have a dental procedure next week and while it might not appear to be life threatening on the surface, an implant or two... I am having thoughts of Joan. I guess when it is your time to go, you go. That gives me some comfort I guess. But what happened to her is scary. I wonder who else it happens to that we never know about. She is a high profile case as was Michael Jackson.

I have having extractions and implants this week but with IV sedation no intabation, I am of course concerned but I do not think its remotely the same thing

I am also having dental work done tomorrow. But I don't get IV sedation. I always opt for lidocaine injections which are local, needles don't bother me. Tomorrow is a big day. I am getting two permanents, one a lower crown and one an upper front bridge. Then he is going to prep me on the upper left side and apply a temporary bridge. And I have more work to be done after that. I will not be sedated for any of it.

I am also a year overdue for an endoscopy (have been getting them twice a year for four or five years for a condition I have in my stomach). I would be put out for that, and it is done in an endoscopy center. I've known this doctor a long time and have always had faith in him, but I think I will call and talk to him personally first before I schedule this. The Joan Rivers incident has me a little nervous now. Because of my back surgery last August (I was partially awake for that), it put my endoscopy schedule off. And now I'm almost two years older. Of course he's going to pooh pooh my fears, but I feel I must talk to him first this time.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Ford1224 said:

I am also having dental work done tomorrow. But I don't get IV sedation. I always opt for lidocaine injections which are local, needles don't bother me. Tomorrow is a big day. I am getting two permanents, one a lower crown and one an upper front bridge. Then he is going to prep me on the upper left side and apply a temporary bridge. And I have more work to be done after that. I will not be sedated for any of it.

I am also a year overdue for an endoscopy (have been getting them twice a year for four or five years for a condition I have in my stomach). I would be put out for that, and it is done in an endoscopy center. I've known this doctor a long time and have always had faith in him, but I think I will call and talk to him personally first before I schedule this. The Joan Rivers incident has me a little nervous now. Because of my back surgery last August (I was partially awake for that), it put my endoscopy schedule off. And now I'm almost two years older. Of course he's going to pooh pooh my fears, but I feel I must talk to him first this time.

The sedation is not my choice but it is being done at a local hospital and they will not do it under local anesthetic. I was fine when the tip was done and just freeking again about doing the bottom

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

More unsubstantiated rumors about what went wrong. More speculation about pre-op testing, about waivers she may not have signed, I mean come on. She did not find her endoscopy doctor by choosing the first she saw on Yelp.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Ford1224 said:

The sedation is not my choice but it is being done at a local hospital and they will not do it under local anesthetic. I was fine when the tip was done and just freeking again about doing the bottom

With all the work I've had over the years trying to keep my teeth in my mouth, I have never had an implant, so I don't know what the protocol for that would be, and I probably do need to have one this time.

Good luck to you with your procedure.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

As with any Hospital surgery there is always pre-op tests which are always a requirement before any surgery is scheduled, but still in all nothing is guaranteed.

I will also advise a 2nd and even 3rd opinion if warranted, when we speak with her later this evening.

My husband said she didn't reply when he and her husband spoke about getting a 2nd and even a 3rd opinion.

She gave them both a tearful blank stare.

In view of my asthmatic medical condition I can't say I would be thrilled to learn I needed in Hospital surgery.

I always police my own medical health and meds, because knowledge=power.

The more knowledge one possesses the better equipped they will be to comprehend, and make excellent choices, medical and otherwise.

I would seek medical advisement, get tests and diagnosis, then get 2nd opinion, and if warranted a 3rd opinion. (Like they say the life you save may be your own).

I would also weight all the factors, do whatever is required, ask plenty of questions, and then make a final decision, which I would pray would be in my best interest.

Of course her COPD is a more damaging and progressive disease than my asthma, but I feel in both instances it is beneficial to be diligent, to ensure you receive the best medical care possible in a Hospital setting especially knowing there are no guarantees in life, as we live minute to minute.

I will update when we know more, so many thanks for all replies.

Honored Contributor

Why would one cancel a needed surgery just because 'someone in the news' died? Weird.

When James Gandolfini died from a heart attack, did people stop eating greasy pastrami sandwiches, 20oz steaks & oily pasta because it's a greater than zero chance their same diet will kill them? Probably not.