Honored Contributor

Pat D. Made Interesting Comment About Peplums

Yesterday afternoon during Jayne & Pat's Closet, Pat Dementri was showing a Susan Graver tank set (A343099) and described the peplum as simply waist-defined.  She went on to say, "the froo-froo peplum is gone; the flouncy peplum is non-existent in fashion now" while shaking her head.

Up until very recently, all the fashion hosts had to push that flouncy peplum style hard, but now they change their sales pitch like the wind. 

I just found it funny that Pat's comment wasn't just that the look now is for a much softer waist definition seaming.  She actually lambasted the peplum as "non-existent in fashion."  I loved it!

I don't like any kind of peplum, especially never the tu-tu flouncy kind.  But if you like it, enjoy it & rock on!

Honored Contributor

Re: Pat D. Made Interesting Comment About Peplums

Their stories and "facts" seem to change depending on what they are selling.  If she were selling a flouncy peplum she would change her tune.

Honored Contributor

As I observed over the years, what she said is what the fashion industry always does.  In order to get women to buy into new trends, they trash some of the previous trends.  What will Pat say next year about this year's softer waistline?

Wait for color changes.  It's some sort of blue this year.  Can't remember what it was for 2019, but it must have been loden green.  We'll be told we must have this color blue in our wardrobe.

They are all sales tactics.

Honored Contributor

Hosts are salespeople, they will say the moon is made of green cheese if it will get you to buy the item they are showing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I always opt for style over fashion. Style is wearing what suits  you, fashions come and go

Honored Contributor

Pat’s fashion “pronouncements” come off sounding like the word from on high, only to be contradicted by her later in the same show. Fashion heretic!
Honored Contributor

She said whatever she had to say to sell that particular item.  That's all.  She doesn't make fashion trends.  As for the flouncy peplum, I don't think I've seen one of those for years.   Today's peplum really is more of defined waist with a pepulm falling from that.  Some women like them, some don't.  

Honored Contributor

Hahaha.  Of course.  Until she's selling the other.

Pat must not have been in Macy's or Nordstrom lately.  Lots of flouncy peplum tops in the stores and on-line.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

She said whatever she had to say to sell that particular item.  That's all.  She doesn't make fashion trends.  As for the flouncy peplum, I don't think I've seen one of those for years.   Today's peplum really is more of defined waist with a pepulm falling from that.  Some women like them, some don't.  

@chrystaltree  I haven't seen the extra exaggerated ones recently either.  But there are still hoards of flowy/flouncy peplums out there.  Just look as recently as offerings by Susan Graver and Isaac Mizrahi here.  They are still repping the flowy peplum that are quite a bit more than soft waist seaming. 

As you say, some women like them, and some don't.  Choice is good.

Trusted Contributor

I was watching a Quacker Factory Show, and Angel said that she couldn't/wouldn't wear a peplum because she carries her weight in her middle...apple shaped.

THANK YOU!  A voice of reason that not every style is for everyone, as some hosts say.