Honored Contributor

Re: Paper Bag Waist? Do You Like Them?

@Foxxee , they are very cute. And funny, I think a lot of the clothing that Walmart sells often come from the same factories a lot of the clothing Bloomingdale's sell. That's why I stopped being a brand snob a long time ago. 

Wear them in good health!💐

Super Contributor

Jason Wu had some cute paper bag waist shorts from last year. Item number A499660. I put them on my wish list, but I think part of the appeal of the shorts is the way they look on a younger model with a defined waist. As I have gotten older, I don’t have as much of a defined waist. I remember some madras shorts that I had in my 20s that had this type of waist that I really liked. It’s funny, because someone gave me some madras fabric last year and I was looking through patterns and found a paper bag waist sewing pattern. I can’t bring myself to make the shorts, because I feel like they would not work on me and my body type now, though. I think, tucked in shirts look best with the paper bag waist, and if you don’t tuck in your shirt, most of the time, then you probably won’t be happy with a paper bag waist shorts or pants.
Honored Contributor

None of the pics look like what i consider a paper bag waist to be.  Where's the top of the bag?  A paper bag waist would extend above the belt.  Think of how you would hold a bottle in a paper bag and how the top of the bag would extend above you hand and kinda bloom back out.  Those just look like high-waisted pants to me.  Hate the elastic.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree, they are not real paper bag pants, which I liked when my waist was 22". Those above are cute and everybody can wear them.

Honored Contributor

@GoodyShoes 

@GoodyShoes wrote:
Jason Wu had some cute paper bag waist shorts from last year. Item number A499660. I put them on my wish list, but I think part of the appeal of the shorts is the way they look on a younger model with a defined waist. As I have gotten older, I don’t have as much of a defined waist. I remember some madras shorts that I had in my 20s that had this type of waist that I really liked. It’s funny, because someone gave me some madras fabric last year and I was looking through patterns and found a paper bag waist sewing pattern. I can’t bring myself to make the shorts, because I feel like they would not work on me and my body type now, though. I think, tucked in shirts look best with the paper bag waist, and if you don’t tuck in your shirt, most of the time, then you probably won’t be happy with a paper bag waist shorts or pants.

@GoodyShoes 

I should have made it clear these pants have a defined waist.  It just looks like paperbag by the way the waist is designed.

I didn't want to sound like I was selling the pants here. 

Respected Contributor

The red ones shown in the picture are not too high-waisted and would be doable for me.  Otherwise, since I'm short-waisted, I  wouldn't be able to wear ones where the paper bag edge adds to an already-high rise because it would come up to under my breasts!

Valued Contributor

no not on me.

Esteemed Contributor

Very cute. Since I have boy hips I can wear them. Think I will make a trip to Wally's today.