Honored Contributor

Re: Pandemic work at home clothes?

@TurnerGal wrote:

HI, I am 60 (hate saying that)  but I am still working and before pandemic I worked in an office that was very casual business casual.   Like most people working at home especially in the heat, I am wearing cotton tee shirts and stretchy capris.  A month ago I bought lots of clothes on the clearance rack at Kohls that will be good for wearing in the fall from home.    Now as I shop online for clothes or shoes I wonder if I will ever go back into the office and if I need any of my nicer jackets and sweaters and shoes.  Maybe at some point I will dress a little nicer from home.  Anyone else working from home changed your wardrobe?  I wonder if this is yet another thing the pandemic has changed.  I know many of the men's stores are going under.  

@TurnerGal The virus isn't permanent.  Don't get rid of anything yet!  Furthermore, it won't sell, everyone else is at home.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I work in my gown. I still shower and fix my hair because it is long and I cannot stand it in my face; but my work clothes consist of PJ's and gowns and bedroom shoes! LOL My work computer doesn't have a camera so we just have our picture on Zoom. Don't have to worry about that.

Super Contributor

I'm really old school I guess, but my motto has always been "dress for success".  I believe you project and present yourself (even if not in person) better if your dressed for the job.  Even though I haven't worked for several years, I still do my hair and makeup and get myself dressed for the day every day, even through the pandemic.  Nothing fancy, just capris and a blouse and always earrings.  I've never understood why anyone would want to spend the day in their pajamas, and have never spent the day in PJ's or Sweats unless I'm sick.  Sloppy dressed breeds sloppy work.  Just my opinion.

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids I am now 60 and boy is it painful to say that!   Fully appreciative of life so it's not a diss on that.   I just can't see myself as 60. It just doesn't compute!   How did this happen?   Haha.  

Super Contributor

I view it much the same as retirement.  All of the sudden you don't need the nicer dressier attire you are so used to wearing.   You still want to look nice but it's hard to transition wardrobe styles.   

Respected Contributor

I’m retired but still participate in a few online meetings from time to time, condo Board of Directors Meeting, WW weekly, and some doctors appointments. Need to look decent, at least from waist up. Since I have not been going out much, no longer feel need to shop much for new clothing. May buy a couple casual items per season. I agree this may change the future of working for a lot of people. Possible if companies find this works for their business, we maybe finding a surplus of office buildings in the future.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Still working at home, probably most of the fall. It's hot here so I wear tee shirts and shorts and a pair of white Keds Grasshoppers. Pin my hair up and good to go.

To those dressing for success I applaud you!dressforsuccess.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal   I got a laugh out of your "60" statement as I am heading there myself in November!    I don't feel it either, think I am still 35 sometimes but my kids are those ages now, yikes!   Guess it's just the milestone aspect.   I was fortunate to retire in my early 50's and was a dental assistant so always wore scrubs for my job.  I am a pretty casual type of girl , but I do like to always look presentable at least.  I have no need for any new clothing but do still buy occasionally.  My habits haven't really changed much.    I dress for my mood though and yes some days I am in my sweats or my pj's, doesn't mean I am sloppy at all, just feel I worked hard for many years and I deserve a pajama day once in awhileSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

HI, I am 60 (hate saying that)  but I am still working and before pandemic I worked in an office that was very casual business casual.   Like most people working at home especially in the heat, I am wearing cotton tee shirts and stretchy capris.  A month ago I bought lots of clothes on the clearance rack at Kohls that will be good for wearing in the fall from home.    Now as I shop online for clothes or shoes I wonder if I will ever go back into the office and if I need any of my nicer jackets and sweaters and shoes.  Maybe at some point I will dress a little nicer from home.  Anyone else working from home changed your wardrobe?  I wonder if this is yet another thing the pandemic has changed.  I know many of the men's stores are going under.  

i'm 86, been retired for years, and I dress up everyday, put my makeup on, and I do it for me. Do not turn yourself into a slouch because your not out in the public, believe me you'll be glad if you do this. My neighbor, now with Alzhemers, and I lived this way. When we wanted to go someplace we were out the door. take care of you,for you.We didn't wear satin and lace, but we looked clean, fresh, and pretty well taken care of.

Honored Contributor

I've been in the office the entire time so but I've noticed with my bosses that they are now much more casually dressed than they used to be. Many days they are in jeans and t-shirts or even shorts, if they don't have clients coming in. 

I just saw earlier this week that denim sales are really down now as most people are wearing stretchy, athleisure type clothes.