Trusted Contributor

Pandemic work at home clothes?

HI, I am 60 (hate saying that)  but I am still working and before pandemic I worked in an office that was very casual business casual.   Like most people working at home especially in the heat, I am wearing cotton tee shirts and stretchy capris.  A month ago I bought lots of clothes on the clearance rack at Kohls that will be good for wearing in the fall from home.    Now as I shop online for clothes or shoes I wonder if I will ever go back into the office and if I need any of my nicer jackets and sweaters and shoes.  Maybe at some point I will dress a little nicer from home.  Anyone else working from home changed your wardrobe?  I wonder if this is yet another thing the pandemic has changed.  I know many of the men's stores are going under.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pandemic work at home clothes?

Everyone I know who work from home, wear their PJ's.   Zoom - PJ bottoms.

I gather it depends on the State pandemic phase.  N.J. is still a hot zone on semi-lockdown which has been extended another 30 days.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I know a young woman who is a partner in a major accounting firm.  Her firm had to talk to all their people who are working from home and tell them that they expected better appearance in online meetings.  Too many were wearing baseball caps, sweatshirts, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@TurnerGal What's wrong with being 60? I'm 72 and it doesn't both me to say it. 

Honored Contributor

My guess is it depends on whether you do teleconferencing or have in-person meetings or ever have to meet the public or customers.  Certainly, you'd dress appropriately for the occasion.  I'm home alone all day but dress in nice pants; jeans, capris, or crops, and a matching shirt.  I never slop around in PJs or sweats.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm a professional and working from home. The feeling is we'll be home thru the end of the calendar year but nothing official, yet. I don't see a need to buy any clothes for awhile!

Plain cotton t's (no graphics) and crops or shorts. Been in my D & C beach pants this week as it's been chilly. I dress better when I'm expecting FedEx or UPS work packages.

We got the cautionary email last week about looking appropriate for Zoom meetings, too.

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely dont dress up for work as i exclusively work from home now since March. I try to remember to wear nice earrings since they show in virtual meetings and I make sure my hair is brushed (I take the scrunchie out for vjrtual meetings! haha). I like to wear exercise capris so that I am already dressed for taking a quick walk around the block if I get a 15 minute lapse between meetings. 

Esteemed Contributor

What Kachina said. When I shower and keep my hair clean and styled, it's easier to go ahead and dress in decent, casual clothes. I'm back at campus two mornings a week. So far, I'm seeing jeans and nice tops. My boss - faculty dean - and all faculty and staff are wearing jeans with decent tops and casual shoes. We certainly have gone more casual on campus.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

We've been extended through the end of the year to work at home.  We've also been told the company will not make this a permanent arrangement and we would return to the office.

I wear t-shirts and shorts.  I'm not a fan of video conferences in general, but do them when I have to.  My outfit is presentable.  I haven't purchased much clothing and don't expect that to change.

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@TurnerGal What's wrong with being 60? I'm 72 and it doesn't both me to say it. 

You are right -- it's just sometimes it is shocking to say I am 60.  Don't feel like 60?  I am grateful  to be 60,  my mother died at 45. 

Anyway interesting about companies sending notes about dressing better.  I definitely try to look a little better on days I have a zoom call.  As someone pointed out some days just taking a shower and brushing your hair is enough.