Esteemed Contributor

Good morning, @maddiecat ~  

I thought I would move our chat to a place of its own.  

With the advent of full-on summer, my quest to move has taken a back seat to life, although we  have made great strides in "downsizing" our belongings.  We have given MUCH to charity and I have a few of the finer pieces on consignment.  We did find a place very close to home, but it is super tiny and super expensive.  I think in order to move in all of our belongings I would have to light a match!  LOL

My summer wardrobe is very simple.  I mostly wear ankle pants, dresses or skirts.  I try to adopt Jennifer's wardrobe suggestions and stay away from Debbie's (Recovering Shopaholic) .  I want a cross-over wardrobe where I can just as easily wear a dress to the grocery on a Saturday morning as to the theatre Saturday night.  It seems that Debbie has been caught up in acquring a rather extensive wardrobe that didn't quite fit her lifestyle of working at home in her athletic clothes.  I do believe she has recognized this and is working to overcome it.  

Thank you for the audio book recommendation.  I will look for it when I return those I have checked out.  I don't know why I have limited audio books to travel.  I can just as easily listen to them elsewhere.  

I am sure you are looking forward to your upcoming San Franscisco trip with your Sweetie. Will you need to make any purchases in anticipation, or is your summer wardrobe complete?  My next acquisition will be to add a new switsuit. That is one daunting thought! 

Hope you are having an enjoyable day!  

Super Contributor

Good afternoon, magic!

Thanks for starting a new thread for us.

My summer wardrobe is complete, especially with the addition of the few pieces I mentioned yesterday.  I won't be making any purchases in anticipation of the August trip.  However, I need to pack plenty of layers, as it will be chilly in San Francisco and warmer in the Wine Country.

I'm glad you mentioned the blogs.  I read both regularly.  I think Debbie is a gifted writer, but her angst over her wardrobe puzzles me at times.  I often think that she shops for a life she doesn't have, although she has gotten better about recognizing her needs vs. wants.  She seems to have a good diversion with her new photography hobby.  Maybe someday she will find contentment.  I'm glad you subscribe to Jennifer's wardrobing style!  What's the latest piece that you purchased?  Anything on your wish list?

I just looked at Amazon for Harper Lee's new novel, Go Set a Watchman, which is due for release on 7/14.  The audio book is narrated by Reese Witherspoon and the book is a continuation of sorts of To Kill a Mockingbird, featuring a 26-year-old Scout.  I hope the book is as good as all the hype surrounding it.

We are experiencing a severe summer slowdown at my office.  Client work that we expected to have this summer just hasn't materialized due to their budget cuts.  One of our biggest projects of the year, which always happens in August, may get moved to January.  It's so frustrating -- and scary to think about the possibility of having to find a new job.  I've been here almost 19 years.  I'm trying not to think the worst, because we've certainly experienced slowdowns before.  But none this severe.  Think good thoughts for my coworkers and me, okay?

Esteemed Contributor

maddie, I too appreciate Debbie's raw honesty.  She has been exercising self-disclosure and I have a tremendous amount of compassion for her. I hope that photography brings her joy and reaching out to others will allow her to meet new friends with commonalities.  

Jennifer, on the other hand, seems to have it all together.  I admire her being so young and successful, doing what is important to her. I know some will criticize her, but she has really helped me focus on what is important.  

maddie, did I read you have 27 Kade Spade handbags?!?!  My goodness, where and how do you house them?  I have recently donated and consigned several handbags.  Not counting my Baggallini bags, I now own a mere 5 handbags. Actually the 5 bags I own serve every occasion to meet my needs.  But I would gladly give them up if only I could find the PERFECT bag.  I search and search and search, but I am not sure it even exists.  

I texted my husband about Sissy Spacek narrating the audio book you recommended and he is anxious to revisit a book he said he probably read in junior high school.  

I am sorry you are feeling a bit anxious about your job security, maddie. Not only will I think positive thoughts, I will pray for you.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Thank you, my sweet friend!  All prayers are appreciated!

Yes, you read correctly that I own 27 Kate Spade bags.  However, I wrote that I bought my first one in 2003 when it was actually in the year 2000.  I have bought only three bags in the last four years.  I have a few on the top shelf in my bedroom closet, but the majority are stored in dust bags in the closet in the entryway.  It's a long, narrow closet with a high shelf.  Some of the bags are on this shelf, but I also added a metro shelving unit on the opposite wall.  It's a tight fit, but it does allow for more storage.

I have thoughts every once in awhile about getting rid of some of the older bags, but I'm just not ready to do it.  I have fond memories of each and every purchase!  Also, I change out my bags often and still carry many of the bags regularly.

I'm still on the lookout for the perfect neutral bag in a British tan color.  Also, a friend pointed out recently that I never carry any blue bags.  That's because I don't have any!  Kate Spade has a very pretty dark indigo bag in the New Arrivals section, but it's not a must-have for me at this time.

Good luck to you in your continued search for The Perfect Bag!!!