Respected Contributor

Paging Goldie......Going abroad again....

Goldie I just wanted to let you know Philip and I are leaving this afternoon for the Mediterranean.....so stay safe dear sweet friend, Happy Holidays.....know you will be missed, and take good care.

Until our paths cross again enjoy life dear Goldie, because it is the only one we get.

Honored Contributor

Re: Paging Goldie......Going abroad again....

Dear adoreqvc,

Take me with you!

One of my first cousins from Pennsylvania, whose father was not Greek, is redoing a tour of Greece and major islands that he took two years ago. That's how much he enjoyed it! For the last several days he's been sending me photos of him and his wife as they: dine atop an Athens hotel with the Acropolis at night as a backdrop; eat a plate of lamb with potatoes (as only Greeks can do it); visit Santorini; and sightsee in Mykonos. I've both enjoyed and suffered seeing his pictures.

Enjoy yourselves. Kalo Taxidi (Bon Voyage)! Let me know when you and Phillip are back.

Love,

Goldie

p.s. Happy Holidays to you, too! Are you going to be gone until after Christmas and New Year's?

Respected Contributor

Oh, my, sounds wonderful. I would love to go back to Greece. I was there twice in 2007, but only on business trips and I never had time to do anything but go the meetings and then home (back to Paris).

I'll never forget the first trip as I had been in a meeting all day in Milan and then had to fly to Athens from Malpensa---took a cab to the Hilton. It was dark when I got there. When I went to my room and opened the draperies I almost fell to my knees---there was the Acropolis smack dab in front of me and all lit up at night in all it's glory---I was so close I felt I could reach out and touch it. I kept the draperies open all night as I did not want t miss even the smallest glimpse of it.

Another great memory was taking off from Athens to Paris on Olympic Airlines in the morning and looking down and seeing the stunningly blue Aegean---I wanted to dive right out of that plane. I also had my first Greek Yogurt with Honey on that flight.

Some day I'll go back as a tourist and see all the islands. I have very good old college friend, Christiana Nike (her fist and second name) who speaks fluent Greek and I'd love to go on a trip with her because, while I can "get by" in French, Italian and Spanish, there is no way I can maneuver in the Greek language.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

Adore!!! Have a great time!! Wish I could go too. Have some moussaka and orange pie for me! Hugs to you and Phillip! Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

Sheesh, until adore gets back to you, I would like to throw in my two cents and tell you to return to Greece.

I, too, have enjoyed the Acropolis as the view from my hotel room, as it was during my last visit. My cousins are a bit older than I am, and so I just show up and book a hotel and do not depend upon them to host me as they so graciously did in years past. (We visit, of course, and they treat me to wonderful meals, but I do not burden them with staying at their place.)

In the '60s, Olympic was a wonderful airline to travel with. I'll never forget that tourist class received menus that could have been from a fine French restaurant (one in Paris and not New York City). In fact, the food was typically catered by well-known French establishments. Onassis wanted to ensure that his travelers, for their budget, felt pampered and enjoyed life fully.

Respected Contributor

I have never been to Greece and it's on my "bucket list" to do soon! I have a Pinterest board devoted to Greece + the Greek Islands. Something I must see and experience while I can travel, which I hope is for another decade or more! Hearing your descriptions just makes me realize all I've been missing while spending most of my lifetime working and raising a family. I've been to France many times and the UK, Mexico, Germany...but, I have a LOT of catching up to do! Time to have adventures and fun, before more time slips away.

Goldie/Sheesh--do you have favorite hotels you'd like to share?

Respected Contributor

GraceCO, definitely go. It will become an addiction.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

OK, let's put together a Linea Lovers Greek Trip next year! There's a thought. I only stayed at the Hilton--it was a business trip, both times, and just 2 nights each!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 GraceCO said:

I have never been to Greece and it's on my "bucket list" to do soon! I have a Pinterest board devoted to Greece + the Greek Islands. Something I must see and experience while I can travel, which I hope is for another decade or more! Hearing your descriptions just makes me realize all I've been missing while spending most of my lifetime working and raising a family. I've been to France many times and the UK, Mexico, Germany...but, I have a LOT of catching up to do! Time to have adventures and fun, before more time slips away.

Goldie/Sheesh--do you have favorite hotels you'd like to share?

Grace, I have not visited Greece since 2003, when I went in July and again in October. That was the first time I stayed at a hotel upon arrival because it was my first visit following my second husband's death and the death of our best man, who had an apartment in Athens where we always stayed. In previous years, I stayed with my cousins in Piraeus (before marriage to my first and second husbands) or with the best man from my second marriage.

The Hotel Athos, where I stayed both times in 2003, had only two things to commend it: (1) a view of the Acropolis from my room and (2) it was researched and settled on by my first husband's student, who was the granddaughter of Greek author Nikos Kazantzakis. To my weird way of thinking, that made it special, I guess. (My ex is a Professor Emeritus of Philosophy and Religion in Athens.) My first husband and I enjoyed a lovely hotel in Athens on our honeymoon (it, too, had a view of the Acropolis -- many, if not most, hotels do) but I do not remember its name at all. I do recall it was located near Omonia Square, which, sadly, I've heard is no longer a safe place to be. So stay away from that location.

Anyway, the Hotel Athos was reasonable in price, but it was situated up a very narrow stony street that my cousins from Piraeus would not dare navigate for fear of harming their automobile's tires. (And I sensed they felt it was a very poor choice for a hotel. I stayed there a second time because our cousin has shops in nearby Plaka, and I visited him daily, plus the ex taught nearby and we met up for lunch). Even my cousin with the shops in Plaka raised his eyebrows at the place. He suggested the Hotel Metropolis (with the thought that I do not like to spend a lot on hotels, I guess). Keep in mind that he told me this in 2003.

I'll never forget the couple (foreign, don't know if Greek or not) who, whenever they saw me alone leaving or returning to the Hotel Athos, shouted at me, trying to get friendly. I figured out that they were looking for a free ticket for a night on the town. It was not the sort of place to be alone at night.

This response was not of much help, but that is the extent of my Greek hotel experience. When my sons and I went to my late husband's family on Crete, my brother-in-law put us up up at an apartment, which he paid for. My sister-in-law was ill and unable to take care of visitors full-time. When we went to Mytilene, my sister-in-law from my first marriage found us a hotel whose name I also do not remember.

Both the hotel in Athens and on Mytilene were spartan in appearance. Nothing fancy but clean. Typically, what I look for are convenience, cleanliness and safety.

This was a lot of information but not that helpful, I'm afraid, for a good place to stay. A woman at church told me of a nice place in Athens that was reasonably priced, and I could ask her again, if I see her. I had complained about my stay at the Athos and she gave me the recommended hotel's card, which I have since lost.

Honored Contributor

When my grandmother and Aunt Sophia visited Greece during my first visit there, they stayed at the Hilton. Back then, it was the fantastic new and modern hotel. The modern-day answer to the Grande Bretagne.

I have a funny story associated with my walk through the lobby at the Hilton to meet my grandmother and aunt. Also, saw Lex Barker (one of the Tarzans) dancing at the Hilton rooftop restaurant during my visit.