Esteemed Contributor

Not even sure where this post belongs but I am in the middle of packing suitcases for a two weeks visit with our daughter. I am trying to pack light not that I am having any success. I bring one garment bag, one suitcase, and a carry one (usually a Vera Bradley bag) and that is for both hubby and myself.

Question is about packing the UNDER THINGS, as in underware and sleepware. I usually take a small zip bag (packing cube for each). Then I had a thought, perhaps I could pack the underware in the corners and find a way to sleep in something else with a dual purpose. Not sure and I wanted to find out what you all do.

Honored Contributor

I use packing envelopes (from REI) when I travel for work. I put my work clothes in one envelope, workout clothes in another envelope and casual/travel clothes in another envelope. I put the underthings in with each group.

On the trip, the envelopes change to dirty clothes, clothes to change into for the plane ride home and clothes not worn.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

When I'm going to be visiting relatives, I assume I can do laundry often. That cuts down dramatically on the amount of undies, pj's, sweatpants and everyday tees that I (and DH) need to pack.

There's also nothing wrong with sleeping in a tee and sweatpants, and wearing them the next day until you shower, if you want.

Honored Contributor
On 9/21/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I use packing envelopes (from REI) when I travel for work. I put my work clothes in one envelope, workout clothes in another envelope and casual/travel clothes in another envelope. I put the underthings in with each group.

On the trip, the envelopes change to dirty clothes, clothes to change into for the plane ride home and clothes not worn.

I checked out their website. Do these take up less room than just packing normal? Which product do you have? These look great for dirty clothes. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

I have packing cubes from Ebags. But it seems that I fill them and it takes up room. My dress clothing, me and hubby have a garment bag with wheels. The one other bag has these cubes in it. Underware, pajamas, and basically that takes up so much room. I put in shoes, and casual tops and bottoms. It is the things not seen that take up all the room. I was wondering how I could simply consolidate the essentials into LESS. The extra Vera bag is actually a duffle and in that goes supplies as in everything else. That too might be overloaded.

Honored Contributor

One thing I do is have all my clothes in the same color family. That way, I don't need to take but a couple pair of shoes and one handbag. I use a small handbag with a billfold organizer in the front. Then I put the small handbag in the large one. I like to use a small handbag for shopping.

Are you going by car or airplane?

Honored Contributor
I use medium size dual use Space Bags which I get at Walmart. You roll the air out or sit on them. I carried 2 weeks worth of clothing, clean clothes everyday, in a carry-on using these bags.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Bonnielu, since this is your DD - are you going to be making regular visits?

DH and I visit DD and her family a couple of times a year (by plane). I have gotten in the habit of leaving some basic clothing behind for future visits. I've left athletic shoes, a fleece hoodie, pajamas, swimsuit, sweatpants and tees.

Those are things that take up a lot of room in luggage, but I always need them, so why not leave them? (This only works if your host has storage space!)

I have sometimes ordered new pajamas, sweats, socks or undies and had them delivered to her address before a trip. It's nice to have new things for a visit (that aren't ratty and worn out).

Esteemed Contributor

It is by plane. I leave in early December. Yes, I pack early and then think about it and pack and repack. Sounds crazy I know. What takes up space is undies, pjs. Shoes are not exactly light either. I always seem to overpack and yet I am afraid not to.

Respected Contributor
On 9/22/2014 bonnielu said:

It is by plane. I leave in early December. Yes, I pack early and then think about it and pack and repack. Sounds crazy I know. What takes up space is undies, pjs. Shoes are not exactly light either. I always seem to overpack and yet I am afraid not to.

I used to have a fear of under-packing, of not having the right outfit to wear or regretting not bringing something with me.

I started making a list of everything I pack on a trip, and when I return I cross off everything I didn't wear. It's a good exercise; it helps you find out where you are over-packing. (This also gives you a detailed list in case you have to make a claim for lost luggage.)

I tell myself that if I don't have enough, there will be stores where I'm visiting. It's not like I'm going into the wilds. I can shop if I need to. In a pinch, I can borrow a sweater or accessory from my daughter. (When she was a teenager, she used to rifle my drawers and closets; turnabout is fair play!)

One rule I read which I use is to pack 3 tops for each bottom. That offers a lot of variety without taking up much room. I choose tops that are flat (silky, jerseys, fine sweaters) rather than bulky. In December, I always pack a couple of dressy tops for parties. And in winter, I wear my heaviest coat and a pair of boots on the plane.

An aunt of mine who travels a lot taught me this rule: Wear and Air. Clothing (other than underwear) doesn't have to be laundered after being worn for just a few hours. Hang it up where air can circulate; it will be fine to wear again.