Respected Contributor

Packable down coats--how warm?

Anyone own a packable down coat? The brand may be Liz Claiborne, Calvin Klein or Michael Kors. They are very popular.

A Michael Kors version caught my eye at a very reasonable pirce. (Liked the color and shape of the coat. I dodn't really look for deisgner coats.)

Being down, it's supposedly better than thermaloft or fiberfill. Just how warm are these coats for a Northeast winter? Has anyone worn them in really cold weather.

I realize it's a relative term? They're calling for a cold winter in the Northeast. Our winters are nothing like those in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Will this keep someone warm in 20 degree temps and below?

Thanks for your input!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Packable down coats--how warm?

@JavaQueen, I have packable down jacket that I use quite a bit.  I live in Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast.  My jacket has cuffed sleeves and a cinch cord at the bottom and it comes just past my derrière.  I do not use this jacket on the coldest winter days.  I opt for a parka with a hood for those below freezing windy days.  My packable down is just not warm enough.  HTH.  LM

Super Contributor

I have one.  Not sure what brand.  It does pack well.  My coat wouldn't be warm enough for really cold weather -- would need additional layers.

Honored Contributor

I bought one recently, rolled it up and took it JIC on our overnight to Connecticut,

Well frost overnight so I really needed it.

I don't think it will be good for 15 degrees days but  I like the lightness of it

$50 at Costco now

Esteemed Contributor

If they are the ones made with real down and not fiberfill, they will keep you warmer than you think. I have one longer one and three short jackets and wear them often in cold weather without issue. Cold like zero degrees. If it's going to be subzero and I will be outside for any length of time, I wear my beefed up long down coat. The only problem with down is that, over time, the little feathers find their way to the surface no matter how well made the coat. NBD really though.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Duck wrote:

I have one.  Not sure what brand.  It does pack well.  My coat wouldn't be warm enough for really cold weather -- would need additional layers.

ITA Lucky!

I own 2 by Michael Kors from Macys and one from QVC-Bernardi--they used to carry one or two styles by this brand.   I love the packable down coats.  That being said, NO ..they are no too warm.  If it's 40 degrees or less, they are not warm enough.

I love throwing them in my car and even a large handbag though.  If you will be out in cold weather, I don't find...for me...they will be warm.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I sent one to my daughter because she goes to college in Boston It is a zero exposure brand coat and she already started wearing her's and she said she loves it because sometimes she has a long walk from class to class and some of the classrooms she has to walk outside for. My husband and I and my younger daughter Libby has some coats from lands end they pack well very warm and holding up well.

Honored Contributor

I agree with the other posters. Packable down is lightweight and compact. It's great if you're going from door-to-door, when you'll be shopping and don't want to drag around a heavy coat. But for warmth, there's nothing like a heavyweight down coat or parka.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Agreed that in real cold weather you need something much warmer then a packable jacket.

Super Contributor

update... Mine is Calvin Klein from Costco last year.