Honored Contributor

Re: PUTTING OUT SPRING/SUMMER CLOTHES, BUT.....

@Shanus wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Shanus.

Yes! I was thinking I could probably get rid of 3/4 of my clothes. I don't know when I will ever wear them again.

I feel the same way. I have worn one "nice" dress in over a year. Mostly I wear sweat pants and sweat shirt. Yesterday I was texting with my "lunch group". The group of us have been friends for over 25 years. They are still in "quarantine" mode. We have not seen each other in over a year. And doubt we will see each other in months to come.

Then on Monday, I went to buy new hearing aids. The hearing aides have all the bells and whistles. They wanted to program a "party" setting. I laughed and said I haven't been to a party in well over a year and doubt there will be any in my future. I said don't bother. 

I think I have to take a hard look at all the nice quality clothing that I have and start to get rid of some.

@drizzellla   I can identity with the hearing aids. I've worn them for many years. My newest ones have some bells and whistles. The "party mode" came in handy in restaurants when there was a lot of background noise or  in the movies when people behind me were rattling candy wrappers. Mine came with all that included in the price...Blue Cross picked some of the cost. They had a deal with some of the companies. I did have that feature  programmed in along with them being bluetoothed to my car and cell phone. 

So, for a year, no restaurants, movies or much driving around except quick trips to the grocery store or drugstore. Hopefully in the near future, those features will come in handy again.

I had hearing aids from several years ago but people wearing masks, standing 6 feet apart and talking behind plexiglass shields, was at times difficult to understand. 

So I had to buy new hearing aids. I think I will have to get additional features programmed into the new hearing aids. 

Now I have perfectly good hearing aids that are a few years old. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Shanus , my Spring wardrobe is non-existent. This time last year I weighed 35 pounds more so nothing fits. I am struggling with my "fantasy" self and loving sleeveless sheath dresses (Jackie Kennedy) or summer skirts with tanks and being practical and fitting in with the more casual lifestyle most women my age embrace. Decisions, decisions...

@Trinity11   Congrats! Let the fantasys begin!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla   Ain't that the truth? My new phrase has been, "Excuse me, what did you say?"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am hanging on to almost everything. My nice tops and dressier pants I wore to church didn’t get worn at all.....but they are classic enough they will be fine for next fall. I have pretty much been living in jeans or other casual bottoms and tees since I am retired and have been sticking close to home. I would not be too hasty in tossing things yet. I don't even need much new for spring/ summer.

Honored Contributor

Everything I own is in one closet and a couple of dressers so I don't need to switch out items for the seasons.

I've been wearing mostly jeans or shorts with casual tees, sweaters, and hoodies for the past year. Due to health issues I haven't been going out much at all. Once I get my second dose of the vaccine I will feel more comfortable going out. Once I return to church I will be wearing my dresses, skirts, nice trousers and tops again. Anticipating I would be going out more, I did buy a new pair of white trousers & a few new tops online. 

I need to go through my closet again and see if there's anything I don't want. Normally, if I don't wear something in a year I get rid of it. If the only reason I didn't wear something is because I stayed home due to COVID then I will probably keep the item & wear it in the future. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have been wearing my dressy stuff since church re-opened last summer.  It's the in-between stuff I haven't been wearing.  The nicer tops that I would wear out to lunch with friends and the like.  

I'm looking forward to finding out that stores are allowing trying on clothes since I need to rotate my jeans and I didn't buy any last year since I couldn't try them on.

@Icegoddess  They never closed the dressing rooms in my neck of the woods.  Someone posted here that a new "study" came out and that no, you can't get Covid from surfaces.  I guess that is news to some states.

I understand the jean dilemma.  When I buy jeans, I take several pair in the dressing room at a time.  I can't imagine lugging them home, only return the ones you don't want.

As far as your PTR, did you call or email CS?  They may arrange for a pick up since it was their error.  At least if you call them, they can record the error and make sure that you are still on auto delivery.  I put all my returns in my mailbox.  I never make a trip to the post office.  It may be worth contacting them.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

Changing rooms are still closed in my area, as far as I know.  I've gained weight during Covid, and have changed day to day living to a much more casual style.  I'm not sure what "normal" will be for me in the future. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus My closet is still full of the chothes I wore before I retired three years ago.  I have supplemented some with more casual, comfortable  clothing for quaranteen.  I am one of those who has a problem reducing wardrobe and giving things to Goodwill which is probably why my closet is full. I feel as though when I would toss or give away a item the within the next few days I will find I need it.  I have been trying to weed out my closet and have been successful within reason.   So I am getting there.  I remember when I was a young women I had a good suit and a few dresses for special occassions,a good wool coat and parka and a jean skirt and jeans, a knit skirt set  and a good pair of slacks along a silk blouse and seveal sweaters.  I did not have the racks of shoes that I have today.  That seemed to satisfy me.  Life was simple then.  So now as I live alone and the kids are out of the house and I am using all closets in their rooms  I have no problem with space. So I am not going to consider tossing any items until the fall when I see what the situation is.  I know this is a long answer.  I beleive my problem is that I have enough closet space. 

Honored Contributor

I've had lunch on outside terraces. 

It seems very normal here in western NC in regard to heavy traffic.   It's much different than last spring. 

Thinking about clothes, unless you are in a bank or similar job, suits and more formal types of dressing are becoming passe'.  It seems that people are putting comfort ahead of traditional clothing.

I have both wardrobes and mix them at times.

Will always love a crisp white shirt with a jacket, jeans, and diamonds!

I will not ever wear tennis shoes with skirts or dresses.  Too many cute, cute comfortable brands out there!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have been wearing my dressy stuff since church re-opened last summer.  It's the in-between stuff I haven't been wearing.  The nicer tops that I would wear out to lunch with friends and the like.  

I'm looking forward to finding out that stores are allowing trying on clothes since I need to rotate my jeans and I didn't buy any last year since I couldn't try them on.

@Icegoddess  They never closed the dressing rooms in my neck of the woods.  Someone posted here that a new "study" came out and that no, you can't get Covid from surfaces.  I guess that is news to some states.

I understand the jean dilemma.  When I buy jeans, I take several pair in the dressing room at a time.  I can't imagine lugging them home, only return the ones you don't want.

As far as your PTR, did you call or email CS?  They may arrange for a pick up since it was their error.  At least if you call them, they can record the error and make sure that you are still on auto delivery.  I put all my returns in my mailbox.  I never make a trip to the post office.  It may be worth contacting them.

@tends2dogs Yeah, I know what you mean about the surfaces.  They did say back last summer the virus didn't live long on surfaces, but nobody wanted to listen to it I guess.  

I plan on contacting CS in one form or another sometime soon.  I've just been covered over.  Hubby had minor surgery, and I had to put ice packs on him every hour for two days.  Today, I had a hair appointment in the morning and Praise Team practice this afternoon for Church.  I just walked in from that a few minutes ago after bringing plants back into the garage because it's supposed to get cold again tonight and one of the cats was up-chucking on the floor.  I have to get to that quickly or he'll try to eat it again.  Blech!  Plus I needed to P really bad and then roll the garbage out to the street.  Now, I have to sweep the floors because of all the oak strings I tracked into the house.  I need some chocolate.

ETA: I forgot to mention that around here they really recommend that you not put anything of value in your mailbox.