Honored Contributor

Re: PUTTING OUT SPRING/SUMMER CLOTHES, BUT.....

@Shanus   not only do I know I can do with much less, I have finally realized that buying too much new at one time means it's all old at the same time.  

Now that I have moved to southern Florida full time, I need the same clothes for a huge portion of the year and I expect to be fine with a new outfit or two a year instead of more that just ends up consuming precious space.  A bit of new goes a long way toward my contentment.

Honored Contributor

I just did this a little over a wekk ago, and I ended up with two bags to donate of really nice things that I no longer wore, or they no longer fit! lol.......It is a nice way to take inventory and now I know exactly what I need and don't need anymore of.......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@Shanus   not only do I know I can do with much less, I have finally realized that buying too much new at one time means it's all old at the same time.  

Now that I have moved to southern Florida full time, I need the same clothes for a huge portion of the year and I expect to be fine with a new outfit or two a year instead of more that just ends up consuming precious space.  A bit of new goes a long way toward my contentment.

@millieshops   That's so true and an eye opening observation. Florida full time? I'm happy you enjoy it, but it's too hot and humid...could never retire there. I have family there and I make sure to limit my visits to the winter. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I just did this a little over a wekk ago, and I ended up with two bags to donate of really nice things that I no longer wore, or they no longer fit! lol.......It is a nice way to take inventory and now I know exactly what I need and don't need anymore of.......

@CANDLEQUEEN   It's difficult to remember my most worn clothing/shoes from 2019. I'm holding on to things until I see what I'll be needing in 2021. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is a bit strange to hear that people haven't been out of their homes for over a year.  I cannot imagine, but understand to each their own.  While we have been careful, we never stopped going out.  Our clothes consist of summer, light weight casual wear year round. I have been looking at our clothes and see that things need to be renewed.  Everything is open where we are and while we are not country club, dress up people, we like to look nice when we go to our regular spots.  

We had to return north for 6 weeks this winter for a family medical emergency.  I was scrambling to purchase warm weather gear......like socks!!  We lived in hoodies, jeans, and boots LOL.  That was a big change in dress code LOL. We did eat in restaurants while we were there...it is a lock down state and it was at 50% capacity for restaurants.  People were still going out though. 

People are looking for normal again.  I understand completely, however I can't relate.  Our normal never changed.  (except mask wearing)

People shouldn't be hasty about clearing out good clothes thinking they will never get the chance to wear them again.  They may regret it when they are ready to venture out again.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I live in the Southeast so I don't have much of a difference between a winter and summer wardrobe.  My clothes are all casual.  I have one summer dress and one winter dress just in case.  I needed some new shirts and pants last summer, my "old" stuff was very worn, stained, etc. but I didn't buy anything.  With being in the middle of the pandemic last summer, I just used what I had.  But I have been refreshing my summer clothes.  Got some new crops and shirts.  My old, worn stuff goes in a drawer and I wear it around the house when I clean.  My winter clothes are all still fine, haven't gotten anything new in a while.  I don't have a lot of clothes.  I have a large walk in closet so I don't need to switch out clothing, even sharing with husband, there's plenty of room.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I do not love the extreme heat, but I also am uncomfortable in the cold, so whether I were in Florida or on Long Island,there would be significant months of the year I would be dependent upon A/C or a furnace.

during my nearly 20 years of being a snowbird, I decided that the life I developed (people and activities) was more important than the weather.  

Respected Contributor

I don't put too much away and have two different closets and drawers and those organizer containers that zip and you can see inside that QVC sells. I rotate my clothes.

I still work and been doing some activities more now that I have had my shots but safely.  My lifestyle does not call for a ton of dress clothes. 

I am hanging on to everything unless it is worn, does not fit or I don't care for any more.  The only thing I have done differently is not buy so many clothes.  Don't need them and you can only wear so much in any season as far as I'm concerned.  

I have updated my casual clothes and that has been fun to do. 

Honored Contributor

I have been wearing my dressy stuff since church re-opened last summer.  It's the in-between stuff I haven't been wearing.  The nicer tops that I would wear out to lunch with friends and the like.  

I'm looking forward to finding out that stores are allowing trying on clothes since I need to rotate my jeans and I didn't buy any last year since I couldn't try them on.

Honored Contributor

All my clothing fits in my walk-in closet and drawers, so I don't have to do the switch-out for different seasons, but I have been looking at things that haven't been worn, a lot not worn at all, for over a year.

I'm not one of the "ladies who lunch" crowd (nothing wrong with that, it's just not me) and if I were, everything around here is very casual. I do have certain outfits for a more dressed-up outing, but even in normal circumstances, they are seldom worn.

I did have an unfortunate situation several months ago when I needed to attend a funeral and discovered, too late to remedy, that my dress pants are all too big and baggy now. I have since replaced a couple of pairs of those. Mostly though, any purchases I've made have been my old fall-back of new jeans and casual tops that have also gotten too big.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I didn't need to replace a lot, due to my lifestyle.

I am hoping to be able to do some kind of trip (somewhere) by the end of this summer (feeling kind of overdue for one right now), will have to see how things go around the country. I think my days of overseas travel are over.
"To each their own, in all things".