Trusted Contributor

Why do you think it's called "puffer"?  Unless you are tall and thin - they just make you look puffy!  

Not a flattering coat look for most figures

Esteemed Contributor

I kind of think puffer coats are unnecessary.

If you check out LL Bean (and designers like MK), there are now lightweight down coats (Ultralight 850 down) that are very warm, not puffy-looking, and warm to about 30 below.  I bought a short jacket last year and was very pleased.  This fall I bought a full length coat and will be warm without that puffball look.  I think you'll be seeing more designers using lightweight down.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  OK. Any particular place to find that? Thanks for the tip.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I kind of think puffer coats are unnecessary.

If you check out LL Bean (and designers like MK), there are now lightweight down coats (Ultralight 850 down) that are very warm, not puffy-looking, and warm to about 30 below.  I bought a short jacket last year and was very pleased.  This fall I bought a full length coat and will be warm without that puffball look.  I think you'll be seeing more designers using lightweight down.

@PamfromCT  -  I have a Michael Kors puffer coat and it's SO lightweight and very warm!  LOVE that coat and it's cute!

Esteemed Contributor

@IlliniGirl88, My short coat is also Michael Kors.  Yes, as light as a feather.  I was shopping recently, and a woman approached me about my coat.  She told me she had just bought one but was skeptical about its warmth in the colder weather.  I told her yes, believe the person who sold you the coat.  My DH bought one last year, at my urging.  He reluctantly agreed to get his jacket from LL Bean.  Guess what?  It's his favorite cold weather coat.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, Eddie Bauer, L.L.Bean, Northface,Lands End all carry Thinsulate.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 Thanks for the info. Will begin my search.

Trusted Contributor

Re: PUFFER COATS

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Trinity11 Thanks for the info. Will begin my search.

Hi Shanus, let us know if you find any thinner puffer you like, I am looking around also, hard to buy on-line without trying one on...I want one that follows the silhouette of the body

Honored Contributor

With the high winds howling off the lake I own several puffer coats! So, so very warm! Everyone where I live bundles up like an unrecognizable snowman when outside in our winters. 

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

look for words that say "packable". I got a Nautica reversible packable jacket at TJ Maxx that is warm, very nice looking and not at all bulky. M Kors makes some as does Ralph Lauren and others, can find deals at 6pm on many of them.