Honored Contributor

Can anyone really look great in a puffer coat? I haven't found a warm ski type jacket that doesn't add 20 lbs. to how I look. Suggestions?

Honored Contributor

I don't know about "looking great" but I bought 2 Kenneth Cole coats at Macy's for under $100 each.  When it's 20 degrees here in Chicago with a wind chill in the single digits I'm not too concerned about "looking great", I just want to be warm and these coats fit the bill.

Honored Contributor

Check out the Primaloft coats and jackets and LandsEnd.  Very warm.  Lightweight.  Not bulky.  Reasonably priced.  I have one coat and three jackets.

Their coats have temp range ratings.

Respected Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I don't know about "looking great" but I bought 2 Kenneth Cole coats at Macy's for under $100 each.  When it's 20 degrees here in Chicago with a wind chill in the single digits I'm not too concerned about "looking great", I just want to be warm and these coats fit the bill.

Exactly!!!  I don't think anyone is trying to guess your weight while outside dealing with the elements!  I'm pretty sure most people would give the benefit of the doubt that it's the coat and envious about how toasty warm you look.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't be inclined to buy "puffer" anything...

Honored Contributor

i dont put anything on my body that has the word "puffer" in the description.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Looking like I've put on weight while wearing a bulky jacket is really the least of my concerns when it's 10 degrees outside and I'm shoveling snow!  Most of my coats are pretty much for utility and I really don't care what people think of them.

Honored Contributor

Puffer and warm are not synonymous.

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Yes! Texas rarely gets below the 30s and I'm mostly dealing with 40s, but I'm pretty much only wearing my coat when I am walking to and from my car. The rest of the time I am inside and not wearing the coat, so I don't really care if it makes me look good or not, I care about it keeping me warm and dry.

If I'm actually skiing and outdoors with other people for a long period of time, I might care more, but I also know that everyone else is dealing with the same thing, so I don't care - we're all in the winter coat boat together.

Trusted Contributor

Look at Susan Graver quilted jacket, #284170.  I wore this today for the first time & I like it a lot.  It is figure-flattering & definitely a generous true to size.  I am a 10, & the medium is fine.  A couple of the reviews are negative, & one is bizarre, but many are very positive.  Although, if you have a short neck, the inside vest may possibly bother you.  The fabric is very nice & the coat is very well made.  The attached vest is a nice touch, to be left open or closed. I also love the hood!  Colors all look good, but I have black.