Esteemed Contributor

Re: Overheard in the Consignment Shop

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm not a leggings person but I wear yoga pants a lot on the weekends.  Most of them are C9 by Champion from Target.

I live in these.  What's wrong with that?  I don't understand.  My life is very casual and they are perfect for me. I also wear cargoes.  

@Lipstickdiva

I really like these and the capri style, which aren't skin tight, either.  I haven't worn jeans in years, because they are just too hot!   Not comfortable in my climate!   

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@software wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@software wrote:

I stopped by one of my favorite consignment shops yesterday.    About 70% clothes, the rest is some new gadgets/gizmos and collector items, crystal & china.

I was waiting to check out when I heard a woman inquiring to one of the managers about bringing in her jeans to sell on consignment.    She had them in her car and was asking the procedure.   Manager told her we don't take drop-offs, we prefer to go through  your items with you present and we only take designer jeans.    Manager also told her she won't get much for them, maybe $6-$7 because everyone is wearing YOGA PANTS.

Just saying.

Is something wrong with yoga pants?

I don't know, is there?

I don't think so.  I think they look nice.

I don't wear jeans, yoga pants or leggings, I only wear trousers, dresses or skirts.

When it comes to fashion in general, I'm clueless.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you think the lady in the consignment shop was referencing leisure pants, leisure wear?  I live in a college town also and the girls here rarely, any longer, wear leggings; they are wearing leisure wear.  I thought I was too old for it, but bought some of the Barefoot Dreams wear and found myself wearing it to TJ Maxx one day as I was in a hurry but I rarely dare go outside of my home wearing it .  Of course, that is when I ran into the most hoity toity, elegant woman in my town who is the strictest  parliamentarian of every social cllub in town because she once was a congress critter.  

Fearing her disdain, I was surprised that she was so complimentary of how I was so chic and was always dressed so well and always on trend though not trendy.  I was embarassed to be out in leisure wear but here she is about 80 years old and thinking it was chic.  Who knew?

Respected Contributor

I wear yoga pants most often when I'm out and about. I think they look a heckuva lot better than skin tight leggings or dirty looking, ill-fitting jeans.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Why do a lot of women follow suit and wear yoga pants?  I do not wear them so I guess I am out of style.  Who cares?  lol  It could be that I am a mature woman and do not follow the trends.  Cat Very Happy

I don't think it's a trend at all. I've been wearing them for decades.

Honored Contributor

For me yoga pants are a step down in fashion style from wearing jeans. Seems to me that jeans have become more and more of a "dress-up" item and I see women wearing them with more dressier accessories these days. I prefer wearing my jeans out in public or to special events. I wear my Danskin bootcut yoga pants around the house or when I have to make a quick stop at the grocery store. 

Although, imo, yoga pants will never replace jeans, yoga pants and other knit bottoms are a big part of many women's wardrobes. Jean companies are seeing lower sales.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I wear yoga pants most often when I'm out and about. I think they look a heckuva lot better than skin tight leggings or dirty looking, ill-fitting jeans.

@SaRina

If those were my only choices I'd wear the yoga pants too!

Fortunately my leggings fit me nicely and I wash my jeans (that also fit well)

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

For me yoga pants are a step down in fashion style from wearing jeans. Seems to me that jeans have become more and more of a "dress-up" item and I see women wearing them with more dressier accessories these days. I prefer wearing my jeans out in public or to special events. I wear my Danskin bootcut yoga pants around the house or when I have to make a quick stop at the grocery store. 

Although, imo, yoga pants will never replace jeans, yoga pants and other knit bottoms are a big part of many women's wardrobes. Jean companies are seeing lower sales.

That's what went through my mind when I heard it.

Apples & oranges.   They both seem like 2 unique items for a specific wearing, not interchangable.   

Honored Contributor

I agree that yoga pants don't replace jeans for me.  My yoga pants are for super casual days of running errands or staying around the house. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@SaRina

If those were my only choices I'd wear the yoga pants too!

Fortunately my leggings fit me nicely and I wash my jeans (that also fit well)

I'm glad you look good in your clothes, lol. I'm sure you do. I guess I see too many muffin tops, camel toes, big butts and bulging stomachs stuffed into denim jeans in my city. We all know that finding good fitting jeans is the bane of a woman's existence. If more women would wear dark indigo jeans that fit them well.... I'd change my opinion. ;-)

I've been athletic my entire life, so the yoga pants and jogging sneakers work for me most often.