Valued Contributor

If you are up to the task, have a yard/garage sale.   We just had one and made over 900 dollars.  Keep in mind that clothing won't sale if it is priced too high.   We sold shirts for one dollar and coats up to 5 dollars.  My husband ran a ad on Craigs List and garagesale.com (both free to list).   

Donating is also another good option, but if you need a little cash, I would go the yard sale route.  Most people IMO are looking for quality, unstained clothing.   It doesn't need to be trendy.  If you still have original tags on, that is a plus. 

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@D5799 wrote:

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

Sorry this was meant for Fashion and ended up in Beauty. Fat fingers.

@D5799   To be really honest with you, I think right now you are the greater priority over donating clothing.  If I were you, I'd go through it, trash most of it and take the best of the best to ANY organization that will take them.

Sometimes all of us need to "punt" as they say in football and take a new direction in life.  Don't agonize over the past, let it all go, and for YOU, start FRESH!  Get the clutter and unnecessary things out of your life, take a breath of fresh air and move on.

Of course in a perfect world we would all always use what we have to it's best use, but it isn't possible.  So be charitable to yourself, get rid of what is cramping your lifestyle, don't look back and don't worry!  I'm positive today that in this country there is adequate clothing, donating and people working to address the needs of those less fortunate!

Bless you and good luck in your project!  It's not something any of us enjoy, but it feels SOOOOO good when you make progress!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor
Well you yourself said much of it is outdated so I'd rule out consignment shops. Rummage sales are hard to do on your own. I'd look to participate in a large church rummage sale in which they handle it all and keep all the money.
Regular Contributor

Look and see if there is a consignment shop in your area.  That way you can get a little money back for your items.  I've been doing that for years.  I purge every Fall/Winter, Spring/Summer.  Try everything on and if I don't like the way it looks or feels uncomfortable it is gone!  Or maybe there is a woman's shelter or Dress for Success that can use the clothing.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

I like to donate to Salvation Army. They will come and pick it all up if you have a lot of stuff. Goodwill won’t do that because they can’t be bothered, even if it’s brand new clothing and shoes. I can’t understand a company that has policies like that when so many in our country are in need. Also, they are having many other ethical issues in many states now. I like to donate to Savation Army at Christmas too. It’s a great charity.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@redwingsgal wrote:

I say, donate somewhere!  The flood victims in our area need ANYTHING!  I bet homeless shelters, etc are the same.  I totally disagree with "if you won't wear them, no one else will."

@redwingsgal  I completely agree. Saying “if you won’t wear it no one else will” is an idiotic thing to say.

Regular Contributor

This is a great organization. Goes to vets and their families. They do all the pick up of items!!!

Pickupplease.org

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking as some one who has worked in places like this for many years as a volunteer. If in doubt throw it out

Check with the place you are donating to. Some haven't the capacity to take in out of season clothing, if it is summer, they don't want winter clothing, and visa versa

If you are in a quandary, call first and ask. Local shops may not have storage room available. Many have things they will not accept,t so ,check first, for non clothing items

Another thing ,we never accepted was used underwear. Bras in good shape ,and slips we would take, but never used panties. It is not hygienic

Do not  make assumptions ,many places are overwhelmed with used items

I had an arrogant man saunter in with a load of old tat, and tell me they were really good clothes. (acting like he was doing us a favor.) The suit was so ugly ,no one would have ever worn it, but him..It was windowpane plaid ,with huge lapels. Think Carnaby Street on steroids. I only accepted it, because, I had a small section of  clothing ,fit for amateur theatrical  organizations, or Halloween. I figured if anyone was performing Guys and Dolls, or needed a clown costume they might buy it

It costs a lot to have things hauled away, so, look at what you are going to donate with a critical eye.. please

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Speaking as some one who has worked in places like this for many years as a volunteer. If in doubt throw it out

Check with the place you are donating to. Some haven't the capacity to take in out of season clothing, if it is summer, they don't want winter clothing, and visa versa

If you are in a quandary, call first and ask. Local shops may not have storage room available. Many have things they will not accept,t so ,check first, for non clothing items

Another thing ,we never accepted was used underwear. Bras in good shape ,and slips we would take, but never used panties. It is not hygienic

Do not  make assumptions ,many places are overwhelmed with used items

I had an arrogant man saunter in with a load of old tat, and tell me they were really good clothes. (acting like he was doing us a favor.) The suit was so ugly ,no one would have ever worn it, but him..It was windowpane plaid ,with huge lapels. Think Carnaby Street on steroids. I only accepted it, because, I had a small section of  clothing ,fit for amateur theatrical  organizations, or Halloween. I figured if anyone was performing Guys and Dolls, or needed a clown costume they might buy it

It costs a lot to have things hauled away, so, look at what you are going to donate with a critical eye.. please

@cherry...you described that guy so well!! I could just see him walking in and the look probably on your face!! Loved the description of needing a clown costume!!

Honored Contributor
Dress for Success is a great organization. They would probably love getting many of your things. I disagree that no one will ever wear them. Sometimes classic pieces like black or navy pants or jackets and simple tops will be worn by others if it is their size.
Try selling on FB also. You can sell by lot...DD does this all the time. She will sell 5 prs of pants or three dresses for next to nothing on a FB page one of her friends started. She puts the items on her porch and the friend leaves the money under the doormat. The good news is she gets rid of the things she doesn’t want and the few dollars is just a bonus.