Honored Contributor

Re: Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

@KaySD wrote:

Here's a possibility. Work-appropriate wear is always much needed by womens' shelters. Often, these women have fled an abusive situation with almost nothing, and need everything, just to get started toward a new and independent life. They're not easy to find, for obvious reasons, but if you look, you'll figure out how to make donations. 

@KaySD,   This is what I do, and wanted to suggest.   It depends on local procedures, but I've found it works to call the domestic abuse contact numbers (or contact on the internet) and ask how to donate.    As you said, the shelter locations have to be a carefully-kept secret to protect lives.   In our area, there are special generic drop-off locations that serve a variety of needs but also are able to earmark the items intended for domestic abuse shelters and quietly and quickly deliver them.   @D5799,  Good for you, for caring and wanting to share your clothing with others.   And I add my appreciation to everyone who offered their thoughts and advice.    We have a good group of thoughtful folks here.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@D5799 wrote:

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

Sorry this was meant for Fashion and ended up in Beauty. Fat fingers.

I too have several of the Storybook Knit sweaters and I dearly love them.  No way can I part with them as there is not a sweater out there that compares to the quality of these sweaters.  They are so ornately and intricately made is what makes them so special.  I still wear mine in the fall and winter and always get compliments.  They are no way out of style. You should keep those for the winter months as I recall they were costly to buy back then.  Some were close to hundred dollars then.

Respected Contributor

When my mother passed we donated her nicer clothing to the retirement home she had moved to. There were a number of women living there on state aid who had nothing but very basic clothing. The director called to say how excited and happy those ladies were with our decision. It was a happy feeling for me and my siblings too.

Honored Contributor

Try a local thrift shop. They are not a chain nor do they send things to the landfill or the dump unless it is junk

One word to all. If you want to get rid ,let go of it. This constant snipping about charitiable organizations is really nasty

These bonafide charities ,do a lot of good in the community. They employ people who  are handicapped, and they put the dollars they make, back into the community to help others

If something is dated ,and you won't wear it, why do you think others will? Just because someone is poor ,doesn't mean they don't want up to date clothing, neither do they want torn, or stained garments.

SO, if things that are not going to be worn ,are sold to recyclers ,why do you care? You no longer want it, or you wouldn't be getting rid.

People in these organizations work hard, those that are paid , are not making much money, many people work for nothing, just to help those in need.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo Thank you for doing the translation for what @carribean girl posted.  I figured it was just some young, new, "hip" symbols computer code that I was unaware of.

Esteemed Contributor

I have too much but can't stop buying. I have no closets so the tees are lying on a bed. Since I am 81 I told my son to give them away and my dolls to needy people.

Honored Contributor

Bless you @halfpint1  for your charity toward others

Esteemed Contributor

I suggest u go on nextdoor.com - take pics of ur items and describe them - and tell people u want to donate clothes to a needy person - or family. I'm sure there are many charities in ur area who would give the clothes to needy people - who would love to have it. Today, there are poor working families.

Last year, my male roomie, had at least 20 t-shirts with designs on the front that he outgrew. I posted on nextdoor and there was a needy family in my area.A woman who was friends with this family came to my house and I gave the t-shirts to her.

I'm still wearing lots of clothes I purchased from the Q 10-15 yrs ago and they're still in style.

Nothing like new (or almost-new) clothes. They will be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

@D5799 

You've gotten lots of good suggestions. 

I've donated a lot of clothing over the years and, mostly, I've taken it to charitable organizations.  When I quit working I must have had 30 well-made suits that went to a "dress for success" type group.  Many Story Book sweaters, too.

The few times I tried a consignment shop, things didn't sell.  And, they were lovely items.  Suede jackets and such.  But, they just hung there.  People shopping these stores want the best stuff.

After that, I decided it was just easier to "let them go."  I have never tried selling anything and never would.  Just prolongs the agony of getting rid of things.  Mostly, I want them out of my house!

Over the weekend, I went through several drawers of jewelry, boxed and bag all but the nicest pearls and gold, and put it in a large plastic container.  There was a lot!

Some of the items were never worn...Jay King necklaces, earrings, Honora pearls.  Bought and never worn.  Shame on me.  I have no interest in them now and only wear a few small pieces of jewelry when I do wear anything.

Anyway, they are now set for donation to a local animal rescue that sells jewelry at it's fund raising events.  I was delighted with myself for getting this done!

I've found as I age, I have less and less attachment to "things."  Now, I just want to get rid of all the clutter!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry 

So true!

Once it is out of MY house, I don't worry what becomes of it for more than a hot second.

Yes, I want someone to benefit from it, but, mostly, I just want it out of my house.

I've enough on my mind and cannot start worring about stuff being bundled and sold by the pound.  I'm already feeling bad that I bought and didn't wear something!  My local thrift shop sells things, then ships some things overseas.  

It's worthless to me, so why fret?