Respected Contributor

There are veterans groups that accept clothing. They pick up. These groups have websites and they explain what they do with the clothing. I know the Lupus organization also picks up clothing (if they are in your area). Google clothing pickup and you will see different organizations that will take the clothes.

Respected Contributor

Some of the old QVC clothing was much better quality and less “fad-ish” than that offered recently, so there's probably going to be some interest in it.

I live in an area that is very expensive, yet where many residents struggle to make ends meet. Some of the churches in our area sponsor assistance programs for these folks to include making gently used, donated clothing available to them if they register in the program (I think they have to certify that they’re not going to re-sell what they get). Generally, they don’t accept used underwear, but are very grateful for pretty much anything else.

There used to be a shop nearby that accepted donations for women and children fleeing domestic violence, but they closed a couple of years ago. These women and children frequently left with nothing more than the clothes on their backs. If you’ve got one of these facilities nearby, I’m sure they’d appreciate anything you could give them. 

Finally, given the devastation we’ve seen in the Midwest, I’d think the American Red Cross, Salvation Army, and other disaster relief organizations would have a need for new and gently used clothing. I can’t even think of where I’d begin to come back from something like that, but I’d appreciate having clean clothes to go down to apply for relief. 

Honored Contributor

Consider this the Tuition of the School of Hard Knocks & donate.

The entire lot.

Make someone else happy with your unused items.

BUT......

Learn from your over-purchasing habits.

Packup all the items which have tags.

Less emotion attached to those.

Take to a resale shop.

The ones they don’t want, immediately drive them to a donation site.

I recently moved & had to purge many items...so I totally understand how this process seems overwhelming at first...but once you release, it feels so good to let go!  🌼

Respected Contributor

I say, donate somewhere!  The flood victims in our area need ANYTHING!  I bet homeless shelters, etc are the same.  I totally disagree with "if you won't wear them, no one else will."

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Learn and let go.

The energy and time it takes to release can be emotionally daunting...so it is best to make a decision and move.   Call Vietnam Vet's and make an appointment for pickup before you start as you will feel you are on your way.   Bite the bullet, grab a bag, and start emptying the closet.  Yes, some of the clothing may still have tags or your favorite designer that you once coveted and spent quite a bit of money....use it as a lesson and know that a weight will be lifted as you proceed.  Trust in the process.  (Garage sales, consignment sales, driving around are excellent ideas if you are not overwhelmed with clothing.)  Wishing you the best!

Esteemed Contributor

Last year  I was visiting my nephew and his wife at their home.  His wife's mother was helping someone get rid of her excess clothing, shoes, and purses, and it was all stored at my nephew's house for viewing.  There was TONS of stuff, mostly all from QVC.  I saw piles of Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi, etc. in one room.  Another room was full of Clarks and Sketchers, etc.  The kitchen was full of purses.  I never saw so much stuff at once.  Thankfully, the clothes and shoes were all to big for me, and I am not really into purses, so I was not tempted by anything.  I tend to want way more than I need.

Anyway, the wife's mother was somehow advertising or getting people to come over to shop what was there.  So I am wondering if you could find someone to help you.  Paying a commission or getting just a cut of the sales is better than getting nothing.  Good luck to you.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I donated  a lot of items the last couple of years.  I have a lot of clothes and thought everything fit, but even though it was just a few more pounds I lost, many were too big and baggy.  (A lot of QVC items run large.)  Some items still had the tags on even though I thought I wore everything I had.      I agree you just have to part with things and cannot be concerned about what the recepients do with them.  Seems a shame that no one wants new clothing even though it isn't a "current style."  As someone else said, those that have been the victim of floods or fires, should be happy to have anything to tide them over until they can have time and funds to shop again.  Can't believe that so many thrift stores, etc. are closing.    I tried consignment a few times and it was just  waste of time.  Never had anything sell.  The woman wouldn't take a Linea jacket I had.  Yard sales, etc. are also a waste of time.  A family member had one and sold nothing all day.   I take my clothing to St. Vincent dePaul or the American Cancer Soc. Discovery Shop.  The ACS shop is neatly organized like a boutique store.    Recently I donated a lot of new or barely worn shoes to ACS.  Getting old and thought some had heels that I shouldn't be wearing.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

If it is overwhelming, just commit to going  through one bin per day.  Have a donate bag and a garbage bag beside you.  Be honest with yourself..if you won’t wear it now, get rid of it.  Immediately toss the garbage sack, and put the donate bag in the trunk of your car each time!

Going through a bin shouldn’t take more than 10-15 minutes.  If you do it every day, you should be done in a couple weeks.

i know it’s hard to part with stuff you paid good money for..consider it your contribution to charity, to help others not so blessed.

edited to say.....don’t worry about what happens to your donation.  It’s out of your hands....you made the donation with the right spirit, so just feel good that you did it and let it go.  Your items will more than likely be put to good use.

@alicedee  that's exactly how I feel.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Learn and let go.

The energy and time it takes to release can be emotionally daunting...so it is best to make a decision and move.   Call Vietnam Vet's and make an appointment for pickup before you start as you will feel you are on your way.   Bite the bullet, grab a bag, and start emptying the closet.  Yes, some of the clothing may still have tags or your favorite designer that you once coveted and spent quite a bit of money....use it as a lesson and know that a weight will be lifted as you proceed.  Trust in the process.  (Garage sales, consignment sales, driving around are excellent ideas if you are not overwhelmed with clothing.)  Wishing you the best!

@phoenixbrd 

You bring up a good point.

Call and make an appointment.

That way there’s a pressure to make decisions quickly. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

@caribbean girl wrote:

I believe there are women out there that would love to have pieces of your clothing. Not every one has the money to buy new clothing from QVC. There are people that will list your clothing on ebay for a small fee. I have done this for several people that do not know how, or do not have the time. I charge them a small fee & we both win. But I do know people that can not afford to buy new clothing & even if these are a little out dated there is some one that would love to have a new piece of clothing. Also I know every one has heard the old-new saying, Every Thing Old Is New Again!! I guess I just think about the people that have a hard enough time putting food on the table & a roof over their families head. 

@caribbean girl,  Great post!   I hope you don't mind my converting it to another font family so no one will miss your message.🌻    

The "Webdings" font shows up on some devices as Unicode characters and symbols.    (The "Wingdings" font does the same thing in some cases.)

Here's a screen shot of the way the post might appear to some:

QWebdingsPost.JPG

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova