Trusted Contributor

Re: Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

It is garage sale season.  Look for a charities that are holding garage sales and offer them the fully loaded bins.  They can sell what they want for whatever price they want and put it toward charity.  I have had success with this approach - some of the events were funraisers for a special project and some were charities.  I no longer have the energy to get involved with a garage sale, but several groups have benefited and were happy to do the sorting & pricing.  I did not give them junk and I was not looking for a tax deduction for donation....just trying to get rid of items that still might meet a need for others and help an organization in the process.  Just a thought.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Occasional Contributor

I believe there are women out there that would love to have pieces of your clothing. Not every one has the money to buy new clothing from QVC. There are people that will list your clothing on ebay for a small fee. I have done this for several people that do not know how, or do not have the time. I charge them a small fee & we both win. But I do know people that can not afford to buy new clothing & even if these are a little out dated there is some one that would love to have a new piece of clothing. Also I know every one has heard the old-new saying, Every Thing Old Is New Again!! I guess I just think about the people that have a hard enough time putting food on the table & a roof over their families head. 

Honored Contributor

Most consignment wants freshly pressed gently worn/new items current within about 3 years.

Goodwill perhaps?  At least you're giving people jobs.  Many Goodwill also sell music items and books on amazon.

Honored Contributor

@D5799  Especially with the clothes you have not worn, I would call a resale shop and ask if they are interested.  If you can make a little money, go ahead.  The other clothes I would donate to a women's shelter, a church, Salvation Army or Goodwill.  I am also donating clothes this year which I need to drop off next week.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@D5799 wrote:

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

Sorry this was meant for Fashion and ended up in Beauty. Fat fingers.

I give mine to a church here in town to sell. It's small and they tell me it helps pay their utility bills, also sends the young ones to camp. Nearly all the churches have flea sales in my town.I once ran into a Lady wearing my Bob Mackie top, at the Drs.office.She was telling me about the sales there and I finally told her, that it had been mine. She loved it.

Trusted Contributor

Here's a possibility. Work-appropriate wear is always much needed by womens' shelters. Often, these women have fled an abusive situation with almost nothing, and need everything, just to get started toward a new and independent life. They're not easy to find, for obvious reasons, but if you look, you'll figure out how to make donations. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@D5799 wrote:

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

Sorry this was meant for Fashion and ended up in Beauty. Fat fingers.

If you don’t need these clothing items anymore, I think you should just let them go. 

Ive been shopping at Qvc for a long time and don’t know of some of the brands mentioned, so they must be very outdated.  

If you won’t wear them, no one else will,either 

@september  I do not agree. Poor people are always in need of clothes.   I donate a lot of things to Hospice.   They have stores around here not sure if every place does that.  We also have huge bins at some of the stores that are for clothing donations. 

Honored Contributor

I went through this several months ago so I can appareciate and understand your reluctance to part with your nice things!  However, you will feel much better when you do purge this stuff.  No one has more of an attachment to their clothing, shoes and bags than me and I was finally able to do it.  If I can do it, you can do it --- LOL!

I was taking some things to Good Will.  However, this was tedious - piling the car full and dragging everthing down there and then repeating over and over.

I then got a number for the American Veterans and if you call them an set up a pick-up date, they will come to your house and haul it all away!  All you have to do is just bag it or box it up and set it out on your porch or patio and they will drive up and take it away!  

It was still a daunting task and I struggled to part with some things, but I did it!  I felt good afterward and people will get good from it.

You can't sit and worry about what happens to the things or who gets them after you relinquish them.  If there are certain items you feel friends, relatives, neighbors would enjoy, then you could offer these things to them first.

Congrats to you for wanting to do this and best of luck! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

if there is a assisted living or nursing home in your area they might need new clothing

when my Mother was alive the staff told me that residents often arrive with nothing and that they need clothing

when she died I let them take hers.

sad right 

I also belong to a re-sale site,  if you drop NWT and new stuff at a goodwill it will be snapped up by someone and sold ----

Honored Contributor

Around here nobody wants donated clothing. Lots of it is going to landfills. Consignment stores are overwhelmed and the ones I've been to accept only things that are in season and they are picky which ones they will accept. I think the best thing to do is have a garage sale or take the clothes to someone that is having one.