Contributor

Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

Sorry this was meant for Fashion and ended up in Beauty. Fat fingers.

Honored Contributor

I've heard they sell much of it by the pound to be recycled.  That as well as the landfill option bothers me too.  I want to know someone will wear them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@D5799 wrote:

I'd like some advice please. Over the years and years of QVC and HSN shopping I have accumulated bins of clothing, a lot never worn, that is now either too small or outdated. I've thought about trying to yard sale but really don't have the time for such an undertaking. EBay is out for obvious time consuming pictures and listing. Bins of Storybook knits cardigans, most never worn, original Citiknits and Slinky Brand (the acetate blend original material), and many other brands of fashion from the Q and HSN.

I filled my car last year with tons of career wear that I donated to St Vincent DePaul Society. If you were in this over abundance of clothing, where would you start to get rid of it? I read articles on overload with clothing donations saying a lot ends up in landfills and that bothers me.

If you don’t need these clothing items anymore, I think you should just let them go. 

Ive been shopping at Qvc for a long time and don’t know of some of the brands mentioned, so they must be very outdated.  

If you won’t wear them, no one else will,either 

Respected Contributor

Why don’t you see if you have a Dress for Success organization in your city? I mailed some of my nice sterling and pearl jewelry to the branch in Phoenix and was very happy to do so.

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@D5799 wrote:

If you don’t need these clothing items anymore, I think you should just let them go. 

Ive been shopping at Qvc for a long time and don’t know of some of the brands mentioned, so they must be very outdated.  

@september 

I have to agree with you.

I have to go through my late father's clothes, and while I know that no one would want them (old, stained, some ripped) it hurts my heart to just throw them in the garbage can like used paper towels.

I just wish that there was a better option than the garbage can.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Over run with clothing

[ Edited ]

If it is overwhelming, just commit to going  through one bin per day.  Have a donate bag and a garbage bag beside you.  Be honest with yourself..if you won’t wear it now, get rid of it.  Immediately toss the garbage sack, and put the donate bag in the trunk of your car each time!

Going through a bin shouldn’t take more than 10-15 minutes.  If you do it every day, you should be done in a couple weeks.

i know it’s hard to part with stuff you paid good money for..consider it your contribution to charity, to help others not so blessed.

edited to say.....don’t worry about what happens to your donation.  It’s out of your hands....you made the donation with the right spirit, so just feel good that you did it and let it go.  Your items will more than likely be put to good use.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@september wrote:

@D5799 wrote:

@september 

I have to agree with you.

I have to go through my late father's clothes, and while I know that no one would want them (old, stained, some ripped) it hurts my heart to just throw them in the garbage can like used paper towels.

@Anonymous032819   It isn’t easy to let things go, especially if they belonged to a loved one. It can help to do it in stages.  Sort them...donate some, toss others. 

A week later, do some more.  It does get easier and it will be a relief to have it finished.  

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

When my dad died, my sis took his flannel shirts and made each of us a lap blanket from fabric she cut from them, mixed with a pretty Christmas flannel fabric.  I bring it out every Christmas.

Another sister died last year.  Her wardrobe was almost all denim.  My crafty sis took the jeans and shirts to a woman who professionally quilts, and had truly gorgeous quilts made for my deceased sister’s adult children incorporating pieces cut from those clothes.

Maybe you could do that with some of your Dad’s things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@D5799 

Do you have any consignment shops nearby where you could sell your clothes?

You would be recycling and getting paid, too. They take a percentage of the sale and give you the rest.

These shops like clothing only a few years old and in like new or new condition, but I have sold clothing to several consignment  shops that was ten years old.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@D5799 

I know what you mean. I just cleaned out my spare bedroom closet and my bedroom closet. They both were packed with many designer and never worn items.

It took a bit of research but I found an organization that help people that are leaving abusive relationships. They were thrilled to get the clothing.

But until I found them, it was tough to find an organization that wanted donations. The local Goodwill Store was not accepting clothing donations. The local homeless shelter only accepted new and unused items. And the thrift store that helped the homeless closed in December.

I suspect someone bought all the big name brand designer clothing and the clothing with the tags still on them and is selling it on ebay. So more power to them. Years ago I sold a Smashbox kit to someone. She claimed that the lipstick was used. I have no idea who could have used the lipstick - I hated the color. And I opened the kit saw the color of the lipstick and knew I would never use it. So I immediately closed up the kit. Well, she was so upset - I refunded all the money to her. And of course she wanted to keep the kit. I decided never again. It was not worth dealing with people like her.

Please start to go through the items. You are probably not going to wear most of the items.And it feels so good to finally have a bit of room in the closet again. It looks neater and things are not smashed together.