Esteemed Contributor

Re: Outfit of the day, if you dare!

@Andreatoo

Bad, bad eyes!  Smiley LOL

I love that belt!!  The tunic is going to be quite versatile...it's cute.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I think when you are an "apple" the jacket is your friend.  When I worked I always wore suits because of that.  Now I find that jean jackets hide a multitude of sins.  I do not show my upper arms either but in summer I wear jean jackets or linen shirts with tank tops under to hide "things".

@DiAnne

Especially since I stopped buying open/fly front cardis, I agree about jackets with a caveat...it has to be able to be buttoned at the bottom!  (Oh how I wish I could wear those edgy moto jackets, but they just don't "close" in the front.)  A denim jacket is on my "need" list lol.  I peaked into  my winter clothes the other day and realized that double-breasted is a good jacket look for me.   I hesitate with shirts worn open over tanks because my eye always goes to my midriff.

@MacDUFF

For the summer I often size down on a light weight jacket or shirt (as long as the shoulders fit).  I feel I look better with less fabric especially when I intend to wear it open .  I agree about the open front cardis but I am large busted and tunic tops on me are a no because they look like the old maternity tops!  I am also tall - I used to be 5"11", now I am probably 5'10" or under.  

Esteemed Contributor

Fair warning:   Forgive me, but this post will be looong and all about me…

I’m exhausted and my back is killing me and…shocker!...I’m sick of fashion LOL, but, I finished the first part of this project.  I started it a few weeks before this thread was posted.

I used to think I did a pretty good job of purging on a semi-regular basis, but I was fooling myself.   OTOH, the last time I did this project on such a grand scale was approx. 15 years ago when I moved from Cali to NC and had to keep the shipping weight low so I could afford to move lol.  It was well past the time to do it again!   I thank Andrea and all the posters on this thread for giving me the push, the opinions/criticism, and the encouragement I needed to keep going.

One of my goals for this project (trying on every single thing in my closet…focusing now on summer) is to get a handle on what I actually have in my closet, what I love and wear, and how/why I shop.   I focused on basics, fit, color, and versatility.   And I promised myself not to shop online (except for Nordstrom).   Forgive me if I’m repeating myself (I am), but…

Three things came up consistently…(1) I have to be careful of (or have to stop altogether lol) buying things that I think are “unusual” or “different.”  A lot of those kinds of purchases went to the Goodwill; (2) I keep things longer than I should because I think of the $$ spent or because I think I’ll be able to tweak them (force them?) to fit/look better; (3) I buy things because they’re on sale, not necessarily because I need them or because they are a fantastic fit. 

For the most part, I kept my promise to myself of not buying online, especially from tv shopping channels, YMMV…I’m happy for you if this shopping option works well for you.   It doesn’t work well for me (mostly because of sizing inconsistencies and quality)…it’s insane how many tv purchased items went to Goodwill.  I broke that promise 5 times.   I loved the HIH tulip top so much, that I wanted to try a few other things:   I bought HIH pull-on silky jeans in med and large…nice, but, naturally, medium was way too small and large was way too large.   I tried the pink crocheted top with tank…nice, but too heavy for summer and too big in the sweep (there’s a shocker, eh??!).   I had a Lisa Rinna (I know, I know!) top on waitlist that couldn’t be filled, so I took a shot at the x-small…fit perfectly everywhere else, but too tight in the sweep.   And, yesterday, I ordered LDO’s leisure knit slim skirt to replace the very old JJill.   I already know I’m going to want to put slits on one or both sides, but whatever, I just hope the durned thing fits.  And, also yesterday, LDO’s new Moroccan tile print.

Even though I incorporated a few new things to replace the 8 or 9 bags of mostly summer things that went to Goodwill (1st time shopper at Talbots, Nordstrom, JJill, a few boutique-y things at the beach), I still feel as if I’m having shopping withdrawal symptoms LOL.  I’m pleased with myself that I only purchased a few things.  Please don’t ask me to define “few.”  LOL!!

Some things I’m changing…

1. No more buying so much at the end of the season (when prices are slashed); I’d rather buy less (at higher prices) at the beginning of the season.
  2. If I don’t wear something within a week or so and love it, it’ll go back.
  3. When I order online, I’m ordering two sizes for comparison...ok for Nordstrom purchases, not okay for tv shopping channels.
  4. I need to spend a little more to get better fit and quality and need to find vendors who provide that for me.
  5. I’m going to channel my Mom more when considering a purchase; I think she was right, after all, on a lot of things LOL. I’m going to stop going against my better judgement, too…or against what I know (hello?  McFly?  I don’t like big flowers on me!  And, face it, green does not look good on me!).
  6. I’m going to take a picture of me wearing each new purchase…why this process of pictures works so well for me as opposed to just looking in a mirror, I don’t know.
  7. If an item doesn’t go with at least two things already in my closet, I’m not buying it.
  8. I might buy two of a great item, but no more than two.

I want to venture out of my comfort zone a little, but I don’t want to go all the way into a different country LOL!   It’s obvious to me that I’m a more conservative, classic dresser, but I want to have some things that provide a little bit of “edge, whimsy, and trend” without going overboard…I’m going to focus more on jewelry, handbags, shoes, and scarves to get that look.

I want a looser, more comfortable fit, but I don’t want voluminous or ill-fitting.  Achieving the comfort factor while retaining some shape and structure seems like a balance that I can’t quite “get.”

YMMV, but I learned that I totally disagree with the idea that anyone can wear anything and that there are no age restrictions…chyeah, riiiiight.

I learned that I don’t mind opinions & criticism…doesn’t mean I’ll agree, but it gives me new ideas and new perspectives.

I re-measured myself and lost a few inches everywhere but my chest (which caused sizing problems for a lot of things that went out the door, but in a good way lol).  The only things I’ve done differently since January (to appease my health food nut friends) was switch to gluten-free pasta, chips, and A. Lessman’s oatmeal, and I switched from red wine vinegar to Bragg’s apple cider vinegar.  I honestly think those few things made a difference!  Now, though, my health food nut friends will make me eat crow (gluten-free!).

I wish I’d listened to my Grandmother more when she was teaching me to sew, or maybe I should have taken (and maybe I will take!) sewing classes to help me critically examine garments with a more educated eye and to be able to do more advanced altering.

In descending order, what went to Goodwill were mistakes, sizing issues, and age of garment (except for my few vintage pieces, of course).

I’m experienced and smart enough to know there’s no such thing as perfection, but I’m going to shoot for the stars anyway.

I’m going to do some research into the psychology of shopping because the phrase that kept coming up as I dropped yet another mistake into the Goodwill bag was:  “What the he## was I thinking??”  LOL

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF

So what you're saying, is that you're in the market for new BOOTS?! Cat TongueCat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

For the summer I often size down on a light weight jacket or shirt (as long as the shoulders fit).  I feel I look better with less fabric especially when I intend to wear it open .  I agree about the open front cardis but I am large busted and tunic tops on me are a no because they look like the old maternity tops!  I am also tall - I used to be 5"11", now I am probably 5'10" or under.  

@DiAnne

Good idea about sizing down for less fabric.  

Funny you should mention that maternity look with tunics.  I'm convinced a lot of it is lack of darts...bring back darts, I say!!   Darts give a more feminine shape and eliminates (mostly) the maternity look.   Another thing I've learned is along the same lines...if a tunic (or popover top) is too short and if it has even an inch or two drop (lower hem) in the back, it's a maternity top on me.

Always something!  Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono

@Andreatoo

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL lola!   You and Andrea have been the worst enablers during this project!   Gorgeous, fabulous, insanely expensive cowboy boots are on my list, but it'll have to wait...I still have to get a handle on my transitional and winter stuff.   I'll say this:   Those tall blue boots you posted last week had to be the most gorgeous I've ever seen and tempted me like no others.   Stop it, you two!!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I think when you are an "apple" the jacket is your friend.  When I worked I always wore suits because of that.  Now I find that jean jackets hide a multitude of sins.  I do not show my upper arms either but in summer I wear jean jackets or linen shirts with tank tops under to hide "things".

@DiAnne

Especially since I stopped buying open/fly front cardis, I agree about jackets with a caveat...it has to be able to be buttoned at the bottom!  (Oh how I wish I could wear those edgy moto jackets, but they just don't "close" in the front.)  A denim jacket is on my "need" list lol.  I peaked into  my winter clothes the other day and realized that double-breasted is a good jacket look for me.   I hesitate with shirts worn open over tanks because my eye always goes to my midriff.

@MacDUFFwell then stop it! lol

Here's my outfit of the day. I expect it to be a wrinkled mess by the end of the work day ...

Old Navy dress/tunic, Slinky tank, my ITC crops and....STINK FOOT! LOL

My feet were already puffy this AM so I didn't want to have to cut the shoes off of my feet at the end of the day!

Woman Wink

Me 16.jpg

Tried to hand my friend, whose tank I was shopping for when I saw this, the receipt for reimbursement but she wasn't buying... lol

I just picked this up and I think it will go nicely with it worn as a dress, maybe a T-neck underneath, over-the-knee boots...?

Fair child belt.jpg

That is the coolest thing ever!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF What a thoughtful post-I enjoyed reading it. You've set some great guidelines for your fashion life that will serve you well.  I think it's important to be mindful about our decisions and not inviting unnecessary confusion and chaos into life and even our choices we make regarding our wardrobe and consumerism. 

I can go go months without buying any clothes. If I don't love it then I don't want to deal with something unnecessary. Of course, some choices are utilitarian like basics that I don't love but I prefer softness next to my skin and will pay more for comfort. This has made it hard to find a bra though lol. 

I do quite a bit of my shopping online as we just have the "usual suspects" around here that Aren't really for me but just buying stuff for entertainment is a thing of the past. If only I had made better decisions.....but I can now for me. 

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF 

I think you do have the shape and structure down.  That's exactly what I loved about your outfits.  I understand what you're saying, because that is the problem I have.

@lolakimono

The boot comment made me laugh out loud!

Speaking of boots.

045P17_33_P1.jpg

These were delivered yesterday and they are gorgeous!  The only problem is that the shaft is too tight!  I may have a lot of body issues, but my calves are not fat!!!!!  From the knees down I look FABULOUS!  Talk about what the He$# 😡 Well, I saved some money after all.

Honored Contributor

@luv-the-Q

The shaft was too tight just with skin?  Or did you try them on over jeans?