Honored Contributor

Re: Outdated summer fashion trends

@lovesrecess wrote:

Say goodbye to these:

gladiator sandals...

now the two strap sandal is the way to go!

prairie tops...

say hello to tanks

tiny sunglasses...

say hello to shield shades or oversized aviators

short shorts...

say hello to long denim shorts and tailored Bermudas

any thoughts?

I never said hello to gladiators so no goodbye there!

still like gladiators.....not sure what a 2 strap sandal is? if they are 2 straps on the top of the foot then i like those also. i just dont like back straps.

never wore prairie tops......i wear tanks year round.

i never liked tiny sunglasses......big and bold sunglasses for me.

NEVER wore short shorts, even when my body was better.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Bernuda shorts were popular in the early 1960s  Call the ""collegiate" look in those days ... with penny loafers and knee socks (and the little leather buckle in the back.)

I got married in 1963 ... haven't worn Bermudas since then.  

@Foxxee 

I've been wearing Bermuda shorts, aviator sunglasses, and tanks since I was a teenager.  This "new" trend isn't new to me.  

@ALRATIBA 

We wore white Keds sneakers, the kind we wore in gym class.  Also, we wore sandals.  Imagine, those same Keds are still being made.  

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I don't care what "they" (whoever they are) say is in style, I wear what I like.

@Pook 

Seriously.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't worn shorts in years, those days are long gone and I prefer capri jeans or crop jeans.

I'm not into the small floral prarie Laura Ashley look of the 70s.

I passed the gladiator sandal look when I tried them on. They are so uncomfortable with the horizontal leather strips digging into the top of my feet.

I only have one pair of smaller lens sunglasses and they never get worn. I prefer sunglasses that cover my eye area from the brows downward. They can't be too big or too small though and because I have a wider face I have to try sunglasses on for fit.

Honored Contributor

I don't do trends, so I never worry. I wear classic styles

Honored Contributor

I never wore tiny glasses or short shorts.....shields shades are (guessing) the ones like I wear so they actually protect the eyes....gladiators have never fit my feet well....so have worn two strap sandals before I knew I was being fashionable.
Honored Contributor

Another reason not to clean out your closet too completely....almost everything “new” is just a slight twist on things we wore years ago. I have some things so far out of style they are back in!
Honored Contributor

Keds Champion is a staple...we had to wear them in gym class along with a hideous white gym suit which was inspected by our PE teacher ( a very strange woman). It had to be pristine.
Honored Contributor

Say goodbye to people who tell you what to wear.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have four granddaughters in their teens and you can’t imagine the power of social media in dictating what kids wear now with blogs.

I have to remind them all the time that the stuff the “lifestyle bloggers” who adore certain sandals and love a certain makeup, etc.....are being paid to endorse those products. One of the girls wants bellbottom jeans now because they’re “ what to wear”. She doesn’t like them though. Fashion slave!

Thank goodness as we get older we aren’t held captive to any fashion trends....well, maybe a few are...😉