Honored Contributor

Outdated summer fashion trends

[ Edited ]

Saw these “orders” from the fashion police today. 

Say goodbye to these:

gladiator sandals...

now the two strap sandal is the way to go!

prairie tops...

say hello to tanks

tiny sunglasses...

say hello to shield shades or oversized aviators

short shorts...

say hello to long denim shorts and tailored Bermudas

any thoughts?

I never said hello to gladiators so no goodbye there!

Honored Contributor

Re: Outdated summer fashion trends

I don't care what "they" (whoever they are) say is in style, I wear what I like.

Esteemed Contributor

All my clothes are outdated --- I never know what's in. Why do most people want to wear what others are wearing???

Honored Contributor

Why????   I never said hello to granny glasses or short shorts.  Just wasn't my style.  But I have no intentions of giving up my gladiator sandals because I like them and I like the look with maxi dresses and skirts.  I'm not sure what prairie top is, I think you are referring to light, loose, flowy tops.  I have some and I'll continue to wear them as long as I like them.  I like something flowy on those super hot muggy days when I have to be out and about.  I am 59 so I am at an age when I wear what I like and while I do love fashion, the fashion gurus don't tell me what I should or shouldn't wear.  

Honored Contributor

I thought all the things you mention went out years ago.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Things I never said "hello" to:

Gladiator sandals .... never thought they were attractive.

• Actually, I'm really not a fan of any sort of sandals.  Really not conducive to city living (dirty sidewalks, puddles, etc.).  I have some I only wear at home - never outside.

Tiny sunglasses .... no interest..  My eyeglasses are photogray

Short shorts .... never even considered them.  "Roving Hostess" clothing!  

----------

Praire tops?  I googled and they seem to be a similar to Boho tops  .... with perhaps different colors / pattern fabrics 

Loose flowy tops are fine with me.  I wear tanks under my prairie / boho tops!  Smiley Wink

@lovesrecess wrote:

Say goodbye to these:

gladiator sandals...

now the two strap sandal is the way to go!

prairie tops...

say hello to tanks

tiny sunglasses...

say hello to shield shades or oversized aviators

short shorts...

say hello to long denim shorts and tailored Bermudas

any thoughts?

I never said hello to gladiators so no goodbye there!

Honored Contributor

@kivah 

You see that frequently around here.  Someone will say they won't buy something because they never see anyone where they live wearing it.

@kivah wrote:

All my clothes are outdated --- I never know what's in. Why do most people want to wear what others are wearing???

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fashion designers always looking for ways to make money decide it's time for a new trend.  Out with the old, in with new we must have or be called outdated. 

They can't come up with anything new and exciting, so they use old designs, adding embroidery, rhinestones, studs, uneven hemlines, holes in the sleeves and jeans, you name it, calling them new and trendy...hoping older people forgot they wore something similar 20 years ago...40 years ago.

Was watching the Antiques Roadshow when what followed was  The Lawrence Welk Show from the 70's...one I never watch, and I see a gal singing wearing a printed dress very similar to those QVC is selling. 

I've been wearing Bermuda shorts, aviator sunglasses, and tanks since I was a teenager.  This "new" trend isn't new to me.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

There are some trends I like and others I don't.  I especially do not like a trend that is over the top because it is out as soon as it comes in.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernuda shorts were popular in the early 1960s  Call the ""collegiate" look in those days ... with penny loafers and knee socks (and the little leather buckle in the back.)

I got married in 1963 ... haven't worn Bermudas since then.  

@Foxxee 

I've been wearing Bermuda shorts, aviator sunglasses, and tanks since I was a teenager.  This "new" trend isn't new to me.