Trusted Contributor

Re: Oprah's O magazine shutting down after 20 years

[ Edited ]

Sandy Sparkles: Thanks for your uplifting comments!  That was a great poiint to introduce about Rachel Ray.  Oprah has inspired lots of girls and women in the past, now, and more than likely, in the future.  I subscribed to her magazine for about 18 years and acquired a great amount of information. Did I accept the contents uncritically? No. As with an magazine, newspaper, or online material to which I subscribe, I approach all with an openness and critique each without needing to denigrate the publication or its creators and writers.  

Oprah's appearance on the cover each month was welcome for those who don't see reflections of themselves in a sea of other magazines, obstensibly for all women; see Latina and Essence for example of other publications that sought to reflect their readership. Ebony Magazine was created for much the same reason as Life. Look back on the history of Vogue, Elle, and other women's magazines and you can discover that it was not until the late 1960s-2000 that many feature women of other races and ethnicities.  Now that so many are having their "reckonings" over the past few months, perhaps a mosaic of beauty will appear in publictions.

Respected Contributor

I used to like her then ..............

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

It became clear that 'O' was NOT for every woman.  If it was, Oprah would have shared the cover with other women she wanted to boost, highlight and support. 

@BlueFinch If I recall correctly, I think I remember seeing ONE issue on the grocery magazine racks where she did share the cover with someone else. Can't remember who, but it may have been Michelle Obama. It stuck in my mind because I had not recalled her sharing the cover with anyone else at that time. Was years ago. Perhaps someone else will remember who was on the cover with her. It may have been a group of people, but it was definitely unusual to see her share the cover.

I used to watch her years and years ago on TV, but lost interest when I noticed that she spent a lot of time "reacting" when she knew she was on camera while others were performing. I didn't recall her doing that in the earlier years. The minute she knew the camera was showing her, she changed her expressions. I lost interest when that became a regular thing with her, as opposed to having her attention affixed to the performer.

As much as I like Barefoot Dreams clothes and other Oprah-approved things, I dislike watching the first few minutes of the rep, Kari, when she becomes a name dropper, saying Oprah has chosen BD as one of her favorite things for X amount of years. I really don't care which celebrity likes/wears which clothes; I just buy what I think I would like and would look good on me.

Honored Contributor

I loved reading magazines for many, many years.  As a teenager we moved 3x during my high school years and I had saved many magazines....my mom never fought me about moving those magazines from house to house. I think she knew the moves were hard for me and cut me slack about my magazine hoard.

Currently I have a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens but will not renew when it expires....to many ads and fluff.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Sandy Sparkles: Thanks for your uplifting comments!  That was a great poiint to introduce about Rachel Ray.  Oprah has inspired lots of girls and women in the past, now, and more than likely, in the future.  I subscribed to her magazine for about 18 years and acquired a great amount of information. Did I accept the contents uncritically? No. As with an magazine, newspaper, or online material to which I subscribe, I approach all with an openness and critique each without needing to denigrate the publication or its creators and writers.  

Oprah's appearance on the cover each month was welcome for those who don't see reflections of themselves in a sea of other magazines, obstensibly for all women; see Latina and Essence for example of other publications that sought to reflect their readership. Ebony Magazine was created for much the same reason as Life. Look back on the history of Vogue, Elle, and other women's magazines and you can discover that it was not until the late 1960s-2000 that many feature women of other races and ethnicities.  Now that so many are having their "reckonings" over the past few months, perhaps a mosaic of beauty will appear in publictions.

@Zernia Rose  Very well said!😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

Ellen DeGeneres, First Lady Michelle Obama, Rosie O'Donnell and Dr. Oz. (Jimmy Kimmel made the inside cover in December 2013). 

I think the above was reported in 2014/ 15 (?) as others that were on her cover. I was curious so I googled   it . I think there was mention of a group of 'everyday' women on one cover (?)

Respected Contributor

Won't be missed. I'm letting all of my magazine subscriptions expire. More ads than articles.

So many really good magazines no longer exist.

Esteemed Contributor

Oprah was okay at first.  Then it all went to her head and she thought she was god's gift to women.  Can't stand her.   Ellen DeG. is in the same pool.

Respected Contributor

Don't most people who have their own magazines appear on the cover each month (or at least most months)? I'm thinking of Rachael Ray, The Pioneer Woman, etc. They are the brand, so they're on the cover.

Respected Contributor

Never have been an Oprah fan, and didn't care at all for her show.  Just curious.  Who is it she has inspired?  And, how?  I missed that one.