Respected Contributor

Re: Oprah's O magazine shutting down after 20 years

I had high hopes for it when it first came out. Then meh. The price of magazine was too much and most items in it. I am an Oprah fan -- but not of her magazine.

@millieshops wrote:

I'm sad to see it go even though I was never a subscriber -  just a reader at the library or from copies left at our pool library.

I'm sad because it's another sign of the end of print as I've known it all my long life.  Even before I turned on my computer this morning, I read from the new issue of Time as I sipped my morning coffee.  I do read news online, but for me there's nothing like print on paper for long, indepth reading and thinking.

@millieshops I agree with your last sentence for my lifestyle. I do enjoy books on a kindle but prefer print (sometimes with a magnifying glass) for magazines and newspaper. Also I don't know without a few copies of the newspaper what I would use in cat box ? Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

Never bought it.  

I did find it funny she was on the cover every single month.  LOL  She has a great editing team.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

no great loss... I thought her photo shopped picture on the cover each month shows what a diva she thinks  she is...  and all her goody two shoes articles about impowerment bla bla bla. What a snorefest.ZZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz

Agree. There are other magazines, and lots of them, whose loss I'll bemoan far more than this one...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

She came to my city and with her big splash, lots of TV coverage and.....presented $100K to a woman who was known to do good things for kids in the poor section.   Later when asked what (woman)  she did to improve things...........no answer.  Nobody ever saw any either.

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

Never bought it.  

I did find it funny she was on the cover every single month.  LOL  She has a great editing team.

Just fyi - That was because it was a big deal when she first saw an African American person on the front cover of a magazine. She wanted to show little girls what's possible.

Honored Contributor

Interesting that this announcement comes right after the President of Hearst Magazines was ousted immediately from the company last Thursday for lewd harassment, and abusive behavior towards his employees while at Hearst.  It was all detailed in The NY Times.

O Magazine was a joint venture between Winfrey’s Harpo Productions and Hearst Magazines.  Hearst also publishes Good HousekeepingHarper's Bazaar and Elle among others.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Never bought it.  

Just fyi - That was because it was a big deal when she first saw an African American person on the front cover of a magazine. She wanted to show little girls what's possible.

Every month... ?

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Interesting that this announcement comes right after the President of Hearst Magazines was ousted immediately from the company last Thursday for lewd harassment, and abusive behavior towards his employees while at Hearst.  It was all detailed in The NY Times.

O Magazine was a joint venture between Winfrey’s Harpo Productions and Hearst Magazines.  Hearst also publishes Good HousekeepingHarper's Bazaar and Elle among others.

@Caaareful Shopper  And good riddance. Aside from the alleged reasons for his ouster, it was reported his arrogance and need for control saw him coming in and dismantling any number of the editorial teams of several magazines in the supposed effort to make them more like digital editions. It was also reported he installed his own preferred editors, who installed their own preferred editorial staff persons and in many instances the results have not been pretty...

Respected Contributor

I never had a big budget for magazines.....or time to read them.  Sometimes I would buy Family Circle or Woman's Day at the grocery checkout....that was it.  Oprah's magazine was too expensive for me!

A few years ago I was inundated with free magazine subscriptions.....and they just stacked up...I never read them.  Some I passed on to others, many I tossed.

I prefer reading online now.  There are so many articles and so much info online that I don't need the clutter of magazines in my small apartment.

Oprah is always trying new things....I have no doubt she will be involved in a new project soon.

Respected Contributor

Fine with me. I'm not an Oprah fan.