Valued Contributor

Re: Oprah's O magazine shutting down after 20 years

I used to enjoy listening to Oprah but that was when she was a nice person.  I don't appreciate her recent comments that Caucasians have an automatic leg up due to their color yet she has had a leg up early on that resulted in enormous success and wealth.  How does she explain that? 

I have worked all of my life, been laid-off a couple of times during times of economic slow downs which made me very unhappy. I pounded the pavement looking for work each time.  No one gave me a leg up.  How dare she spew this junk!  Makes me very angry.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Interesting that this announcement comes right after the President of Hearst Magazines was ousted immediately from the company last Thursday for lewd harassment, and abusive behavior towards his employees while at Hearst.  It was all detailed in The NY Times.

O Magazine was a joint venture between Winfrey’s Harpo Productions and Hearst Magazines.  Hearst also publishes Good HousekeepingHarper's Bazaar and Elle among others.

@Caaareful Shopper  And good riddance. Aside from the alleged reasons for his ouster, it was reported his arrogance and need for control saw him coming in and dismantling any number of the editorial teams of several magazines in the supposed effort to make them more like digital editions. It was also reported he installed his own preferred editors, who installed their own preferred editorial staff persons and in many instances the results have not been pretty...

@stevieb 

Never was an Oprah follower I used to watch her show in the early years but then she morphed into Queen Oprah, and that was the end.....I never even took a peek inside her magazine. But for many many years I did subscribe to Good Housekeeping. But that new Editor basically destroyed that magazine....they used to have good articles on a variety of topics but that changed. Even their home decorating section---some of it looked like a kindergarten kid designed it......Heloise was the only good thing left and I canceled my subscription......So your explanation totally explains what happened...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Patriot3 wrote:

Oprah was okay at first.  Then it all went to her head and she thought she was god's gift to women.  Can't stand her.   Ellen DeG. is in the same pool.

@Patriot3 

She has a very narrow view of things and she expects people to believe in exactly what she does!....  Even simple things---like one show she ridiculed women that like to decorate for Christmas....and then of course more serious issues.....I think she closed minds rather than expanded peoples ideas and viewpoints...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Interesting that this announcement comes right after the President of Hearst Magazines was ousted immediately from the company last Thursday for lewd harassment, and abusive behavior towards his employees while at Hearst.  It was all detailed in The NY Times.

O Magazine was a joint venture between Winfrey’s Harpo Productions and Hearst Magazines.  Hearst also publishes Good HousekeepingHarper's Bazaar and Elle among others.

@Caaareful Shopper  And good riddance. Aside from the alleged reasons for his ouster, it was reported his arrogance and need for control saw him coming in and dismantling any number of the editorial teams of several magazines in the supposed effort to make them more like digital editions. It was also reported he installed his own preferred editors, who installed their own preferred editorial staff persons and in many instances the results have not been pretty...

@stevieb 

Never was an Oprah follower I used to watch her show in the early years but then she morphed into Queen Oprah, and that was the end.....I never even took a peek inside her magazine. But for many many years I did subscribe to Good Housekeeping. But that new Editor basically destroyed that magazine....they used to have good articles on a variety of topics but that changed. Even their home decorating section---some of it looked like a kindergarten kid designed it......Heloise was the only good thing left and I canceled my subscription......So your explanation totally explains what happened...

@Spurt  While he might well have had an impact on GH, I think many magazines have been headed down the tubes for several years... Blame the web... Blame blogs... Blame the idiots-that-be trying to capture a demographic they're never going to capture... One assumes that, like newspapers, as circulation along with ad revenue declined and production costs rose, magazines became thinner, they used cheaper paper, featured little style and little substance and devolved into phantoms of what they were... Hence, the self fulfilling prophecy toward their eventual demise... Still, I'm glad he's gone and one might hope that for however long some of these publications remain someone takes charge who realizes that magazine readers aren't looking for a web experience... If they were, they'd do the blog thing...  As for Oprah, a case unto her self... I won't miss her magazine...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@okaywitheasypay wrote:

Ellen DeGeneres, First Lady Michelle Obama, Rosie O'Donnell and Dr. Oz. (Jimmy Kimmel made the inside cover in December 2013). 

I think the above was reported in 2014/ 15 (?) as others that were on her cover. I was curious so I googled   it . I think there was mention of a group of 'everyday' women on one cover (?)

Gag!!!!! Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

I can honestly say that I have never even thumbed through one of her magazines let alone buy one.

Frequent Contributor

It's about time.......amazes me how she pontificates about diet and weight loss and gains/loses the same 50 lbs. every new WW program. I wonder how WW keeps her as a spokesperson as she is not the best example of a successful WW dieter.

No great loss.

Super Contributor

Oprah needs to be shut down.  After her last video basically saying since I am white I did not work hard to get through school, get a job, save money.  CANCEL OPRAH ! ! !

Esteemed Contributor

The heavy duty photoshop aka the digital diet to shave off pounds from the cover and inside photos sent a not so subliminal message to viewers and readers that Oprah is not the person she wants people to think she is. 

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of real haters here. Sometimes the truth just hurts.