Honored Contributor

Re: Oprah's 2015 Favorite Things

@TY wrote:

While some of those things are nice, I always wonder how much of a cut Oprah gets from these companies to feature their stuff in her favorite things list.

I remember when her show was still on the air and then they also did the behind the scenes or backstage show on OWN.  I watched the one they did when she was picking out her favorite things.

A lot of the items she picked she was sent by companies, trying to get on her list because it was such an economic boom for them.  She had an office full of products and she would go through them and decide if they would make her list or not.

They also showed her shopping with staff and she would tell them what she was looking for.  For instance, when I saw it she wanted a nice, comfortable flat shoe. So off to the shoe dept. she went to pick something out.

Most of the items weren't really items she used on a regular basis or used at all.       

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

I understand what you mean @Sooner but the Vince pants aren't your garden variety workout sweats, right?  You wouldn't choose them for a dressy affair, but you could pair them with ankle boots and leather jacket for an after work happy hour (at least I would).  That look is more 'put together' than wearing them with a tee shirt and sneakers.  I'm guessing that is what Oprah means.

Love the Vince pants.  I like the UGGS, but I don't love them.  The tech case looks nice  I loved those shows when she had the "Favorite Things" on.

Just me, but I would never wear sweatpants out.  To me, there are so many things that can look "put together" but sweatpants like nightgowns isn't one of them.  If you have to wear the to the grocery store, maybe.  Out socially?  Nope.  Never.

I would totally wear the Vince sweatpants out.  I also wear my lululemon sweatpants out. I'm have the bolt style and love them  the blue camo bolt are darling and I also like the sattva style

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@TY wrote:

While some of those things are nice, I always wonder how much of a cut Oprah gets from these companies to feature their stuff in her favorite things list.

I remember when her show was still on the air and then they also did the behind the scenes or backstage show on OWN.  I watched the one they did when she was picking out her favorite things.

A lot of the items she picked she was sent by companies, trying to get on her list because it was such an economic boom for them.  She had an office full of products and she would go through them and decide if they would make her list or not.

They also showed her shopping with staff and she would tell them what she was looking for.  For instance, when I saw it she wanted a nice, comfortable flat shoe. So off to the shoe dept. she went to pick something out.

Most of the items weren't really items she used on a regular basis or used at all.       

Interesting. I guess I never really took it that way anyway (although I, admittedly, never paid much attention to the whole list) if it was presented as such. I've always just thought of it as a nice "curated" (ugh -- that word is now everywhere!) list of cool holiday gifts suggestions.