Respected Contributor

Re: Oprah's 2015 Favorite Things

@winamac1 wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

I understand what you mean @Sooner but the Vince pants aren't your garden variety workout sweats, right?  You wouldn't choose them for a dressy affair, but you could pair them with ankle boots and leather jacket for an after work happy hour (at least I would).  That look is more 'put together' than wearing them with a tee shirt and sneakers.  I'm guessing that is what Oprah means.

Love the Vince pants.  I like the UGGS, but I don't love them.  The tech case looks nice  I loved those shows when she had the "Favorite Things" on.

I actually like the UGGS quite a lot! I don't own any of the regular classic styles, and these are a similar idea without the mushy, wide, flat-soled look that I dislike so much. The name gets it right -- Slim Classic. Hmmm . . . definitely considering them.

Esteemed Contributor

While some of those things are nice, I always wonder how much of a cut Oprah gets from these companies to feature their stuff in her favorite things list.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TY wrote:

While some of those things are nice, I always wonder how much of a cut Oprah gets from these companies to feature their stuff in her favorite things list.

I read she gets no cut.

I also read that many years ago when she was able to get the IPAD, she initially was told by Apple 'No".  They initially said they were not giving the ipads away.  This was when the ipads first came out.  I think , after she kept going back to them (her people), she got them. 

I actually remember her saying  how hard it was to get Apple to give her the IPADs for the audience as she wanted them as one of her Favorite Things.

She doesn't get kickbacks for featuring these products, but I bet she got most of the items, years ago,  free for her audience due to the free publicity.  Who knows what happens now. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

There's nothing on the list that I couldn't easily live without. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I sitll have a bracelet watch from Chico's that was on her original favrite things list

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

There's nothing on the list that I couldn't easily live without. Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@islandgrrl wrote:

I understand what you mean @Sooner but the Vince pants aren't your garden variety workout sweats, right?  You wouldn't choose them for a dressy affair, but you could pair them with ankle boots and leather jacket for an after work happy hour (at least I would).  That look is more 'put together' than wearing them with a tee shirt and sneakers.  I'm guessing that is what Oprah means.

Love the Vince pants.  I like the UGGS, but I don't love them.  The tech case looks nice  I loved those shows when she had the "Favorite Things" on.

Just me, but I would never wear sweatpants out.  To me, there are so many things that can look "put together" but sweatpants like nightgowns isn't one of them.  If you have to wear the to the grocery store, maybe.  Out socially?  Nope.  Never.

Honored Contributor

nice that she chose two local baltimore companies for her list! the crabcakes from pappas and the words with boards cutting/serving boards.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I get ya @Sooner.  We all have different styles and different venues that we frequent.  I'm a west coast girl and we are probably a bit more relaxed than a lot of places.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

nice that she chose two local baltimore companies for her list! the crabcakes from pappas and the words with boards cutting/serving boards.

@sunshine45-while I love the fashion, boots, accessories, I really enjoy learning about the smaller/local vendors that she selects for the annual list as well as the O List in the monthly magazine. How cool for these small companies to get a boost in brand recognition & sales!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

The only thing that appeals to me is the polish and I wouldn't use half of them. 

Thanks for posting!  Loved Oprah!