Trusted Contributor

Re: Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

I bought some cosmetics through nordstrom.com. They were back-ordered. When they finally did ship the line was having a gift with purchase. I didn't receive the gift. So I called their CS and asked where the gift was. I was told that when I had placed the order the gift was not offered - therefore, I was not entitled to it. So now I know. My thinking is you bought it at one price and you are not entitled to the new discount.
Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 vaccinia said:

I think this is new for Nordstrom to put anniversary sale items on clearance so quickly, and I think it might hurt the business at their sale next year if people realize a lot of the stuff will be marked down heavily in a few weeks, anyway.

They had a sale and you bought an item. They didn't sell all of them, so they marked it down again later. YOU bought it. If they had all sold, you wouldn't have had one if you hadn't bought it. Since they didn't sell, they have to mark it down again to get rid of it. I agree, if it is over 2 weeks I'd NEVER ask for the difference. Stores don't often offer the lowest price ever on merchandise to the customers. No retailer could do that.

Now days, things are marked down a lot and quickly and if I buy something, I only buy it if I really want or need it and it seems a fair price. After that it is my hard luck if it is marked down again.

Valued Contributor

I think Nordstroms has the best customer service of all the retail stores I shop. Also, their two week adjustment period is more than fair.

Since we are talking customer service here, I had an interesting experience yesterday at Macy's. I ordered a dress from another store 50 miles away as my local store did not have my size. I made the call myself as apparently Macy's no longer offers this service. The dress arrived in about six days -- and they had sent the incorrect size. I called the store and they did not have my correct size and did not apologize for the error. I went to my local Macy's yesterday to return the dress and they would not refund the $9.95 s&h fee. I questioned it and was told it was their policy and there was nothing she (the sales associate) could do. Unfair (I think) but .... I didn't pursue it, but I won't forget the negative experience. Their customer service has been going downhill for a long time. Live and learn!!

Regarding the OP's situation: If I was THAT determined to get the lower price, I would just have re-purchased and returned the original item (assuming that it had not been worn and that the tags (if applicable) were still attached, etc. I agree our time is worth something and sometimes it is just not worth the aggravation and stress......Retail work today is demanding and I am hesitant to add to their stress for a few dollars.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 ivanatrump said:

Do you believe you are entitled to a price adjustment every time the item's price drops?

30 days should be the limit. If your purchase falls within this time frame then you should be compensated.

For $15 you actually asked for the store manager?

I would agree--4 to 6 weeks max. But, Nordstroms used to be better with their C.S. I have noticed how they are not quite as up to par with C.S. as they were years ago. I assume this is due to customers abusing their policies for years. Had I not worn the item, I'd just have rebought it and returned the other one with the original receipt. This only works if they offer it in the same size.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

I think a two-week price adjustment period is totally fair and I normally don't give any thought to whether the price has dropped after I've purchased an item. This is a different situation. Nordstrom has never, to my knowledge, dropped prices on Anniversary Sale items so soon after the sale, and I've been shopping there since the early 90s, so I think I would know.

This is a change in Nordstrom's pricing policies and I think it's perfectly normal that their customers would be upset. I asked for a $20 price adjustment on the coat I purchased and got it. I suspect Nordstrom is getting a lot of complaints and I still firmly believe this is going to hurt their Anniversary Sale business in the future.

Valued Contributor

I am surprised that Nordies gave you a hard time. They have a very liberal return policy which is one of the reasons that I buy gifts from them.

I have a pair of toddler boots from the sale and if they don't fit my granddaughter when she receives them for her September b'day they will go back.

I don't think you were unreasonable to ask for a credit especially since we are not yet 30 days from the sales end.

Respected Contributor

I would of expected a price adjustment myself.. and most stores do that ..because who wants to make a customer aggravated so they don't return..especially if they buy something and within the next week it is significantly lower.

I would of done the same thing as you always had the option like you said..returning and reordering or rebuying in the store (not sure if this was online or in store purchase..) either way that would of cost them more to process the return.

ETA...It also depends on when you purchased your item..,I think 15-days ago is a good cut off time..most stores use two week time frame.

Honored Contributor

Two weeks seems an entirely reasonable and sufficient time to receive a further discount. Any more than that for discounts and you get into the territory of people constantly cruising looking to see if anything they bought online or in the store was reduced in price, day after day, week after week. To me, there's something creepy about that level of monitoring. Occasionally happening to see that an item was reduced in price shortly (no more than 2 weeks) after you bought it? Sure, I would go for that. But I wouldn't even think about doing it after 2 weeks, or for $15. I purchased an item on Amazon, and discovered it had dropped $35 in price within 4-5 days. That, I pursued and got the reduction.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 LexPex said:

I am surprised that Nordies gave you a hard time. They have a very liberal return policy which is one of the reasons that I buy gifts from them.

I have a pair of toddler boots from the sale and if they don't fit my granddaughter when she receives them for her September b'day they will go back.

I don't think you were unreasonable to ask for a credit especially since we are not yet 30 days from the sales end.

They do have a liberal return policy. This was not a return. Price adjustment is an entirely different thing.

Honored Contributor

On 8/31/2014 LexPex said:

It is not quite as liberal as it once was--as I stated above...probably due to abuse.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"