Super Contributor

Re: Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

{#emotions_dlg.unsure} Well I went to check the price today, on a pair of ankle boots I was hedging about, during the anniversary sale. I thought about getting them, and then decided against it, mostly because I have a similar pair in another color and couldn't justify getting a pair almost like the ones I have ......but I do love them. So I didn't buy them. But my point is, is that they are the SAME price now as they were during the anniversary sale! So I guess if I wanted them I could get them now at the sale price but alas, the color I really wanted is sold out. Isn't that the way it always happens?

Super Contributor

It has been my experience that most retailers have a policy for price adjustments, and it's usually 14 days. I don't blame you at all for getting an adjustment of $15, or $5 for that matter, I've done both. But yes, you were past the deadline so it was really nice of the manager to grant your request. Just wanted to say that 2 weeks is very typical. Sometimes the retailer will specifically state that there are no price adjustments for certain items or certain sales. Sometimes it's hard to figure out all of these policies! Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 bandmomof3 said:

I am a former sales associate of Nordstrom as of May..they are very liberal about many things relating to Customer Service, but the 14 day price adjustment policy isn't really one of them. We were not authorized to give an adjustment; had to call Service Experience. Each case was resolved on an individual basis.

In reality, several of you are correct; you could just buy a new item at the lower price and return the original item. The problem may lie in the fact that often Anniversary items sell out in many sizes and colors so you may not get exactly what you want again. Anniversary Sale began on July 10 this year (Rewards customers) and ended the 3rd of August.

And, unless something has changed since I left, the other thing they are strict about is the Expiration Date on the Nordstrom Notes. If you are one that forgets you have them or can't spend them in a year, buy a gift card with them. Gift cards never expire!

Last year we did permanently mark down several items from Anniversary Sale for the Labor Day weekend...it just wasn't advertised. This is a new marketing program to have several small promotions (6, I think) per year along with Anniversary Sale instead of the two Half-Yearly Sales. It makes sense to feed off of the traffic out shopping for these big weekends.

So, to answer the OP question, I think your experience today was quite typical for your situation. I'm sure the Store Manager assessed your situation and used their best judgement to give you the adjustment. I just wouldn't assume this would be the typical response....

Shari

I have always used expired NN's. When did they start this? Last year I had lost several notes, I misplaced in my home. One was for 160.00. They were 2 months past, and they gave them to me. I usually save a couple then use them.

She did tell me when she cashed them if i loose a note I call and they research the note and credit it to me on a phone order.

Super Contributor

Olive59, just read your post above. In asking for adjustments, I've stated the same thing and they told me to return and repurchase--bizarre. Thing is, most people won't do it so the store wins in most cases. They have a policy that allows them to put things on sale spontaneously. I had a close friend in retail, and it seems that it's a very 'reactionary' environment now. Sales aren't scheduled like they used to be, etc. They are constantly adjusting prices based on real times sales for the day/week/month. I kinda miss the old days when 'sales' were actually special. Now it's all the time, every holiday, every weekend, just to make us buy buy buy and it's working because my closet is full and all I wear are tees and jeans lol!

Trusted Contributor

Personally, if I buy an item on sale, I don't expect the store to give me any further, later reductions that may come up at subsequent sales. Stores often reduce prices several times as the season moves on, and picking up items at late-season sales can yield savings you wouldn't expect to find earlier in the year. If I buy late I usually have less selection and better prices; that's just the way clearance sales work. Why should I expect late-season clearance savings to be applied to something I bought much earlier, when the season was young, the item was "hot", and the selection was great? Answer: I don't.

Super Contributor

It sounds to me like you buy things and then keep checking back to see if the price is further reduced so you can get an adjustment all the time. If I buy something on sale, I don't go back again to check the price. If I was happy enough to buy it the first time at that price, why would I want to drive myself crazy watching the same item for price drops? It seems like it would be an endless circle of getting adjustments on adjustments. Eventually, most clothing will reduce to 75% off racks at the end of the season so should I be bummed that I bought it mid-season at a higher price?

I think stores that give price adjustments within 14 days are being generous. I saw a family last Christmas go to Kohls about a week after the holiday and return 2 carts full of Christmas items, get refunds and then go over to all the sales racks and repurchase many items at the deeply discounted price. Is that fair?

As for Nordstrom Ann. sale, it started July 10th for insiders and while it may have ended Aug 3rd, did the OP say the date she purchased the item? It's a lot more than 14 days since the start of the sale and I would think their 14 day rule applies to date of purchase, not the entire anniversary sale promotion.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/30/2014 baddest_dog said:

It sounds to me like you buy things and then keep checking back to see if the price is further reduced so you can get an adjustment all the time. If I buy something on sale, I don't go back again to check the price. If I was happy enough to buy it the first time at that price, why would I want to drive myself crazy watching the same item for price drops? It seems like it would be an endless circle of getting adjustments on adjustments. Eventually, most clothing will reduce to 75% off racks at the end of the season so should I be bummed that I bought it mid-season at a higher price?

I think stores that give price adjustments within 14 days are being generous. I saw a family last Christmas go to Kohls about a week after the holiday and return 2 carts full of Christmas items, get refunds and then go over to all the sales racks and repurchase many items at the deeply discounted price. Is that fair?

As for Nordstrom Ann. sale, it started July 10th for insiders and while it may have ended Aug 3rd, did the OP say the date she purchased the item? It's a lot more than 14 days since the start of the sale and I would think their 14 day rule applies to date of purchase, not the entire anniversary sale promotion.

Speaking for myself, the shoes I purchased were within the 30-day price adjustment period and unworn. Had I even worn them once, I would not expect a reduction in price. If OP was not able to receive a price adjustment over the phone, she could have easily returned the item and repurchased it -- costing Nordstrom far more in shipping which ultimately gets passed on to us as customers.

You seem to be trying to find fault, where none exists.

Valued Contributor

Where I live, it is typical for most stores to do an adjustment within 2 weeks of purchase. Most stores will have their policies printed on the receipt etc. I used to not read those but I do now just because every store is different. I went to a Dillard's and found a nice shirt marked down to 7 dollars and the original price was 29. On the receipt it stated that a return was only allowed for 3 days after purchase due to the discounted price...

Respected Contributor

You did the right thing. It clearly was more about the principal of the thing.

Just a note.... Nordstrom has been doing this for years. I remember years ago buying a sweater at a pre-season price only to find it two weeks later for less than half. The so called "sale" is only for a few things and I think a lot of the clothing they just bring in for the sale, not necessarily items they normally carry that they mark down. Kind of reminds me of outlet shopping where the clothing is often made for the outlet.

Super Contributor

On 8/30/2014 magicmoodz said:

Speaking for myself, the shoes I purchased were within the 30-day price adjustment period and unworn. Had I even worn them once, I would not expect a reduction in price. If OP was not able to receive a price adjustment over the phone, she could have easily returned the item and repurchased it -- costing Nordstrom far more in shipping which ultimately gets passed on to us as customers.

You seem to be trying to find fault, where none exists.

Nordstrom does not have a 30 days adjustment period. Yes, you could return them either by mail or presenting them in the store, and repurchase the shoes at the lower price. Frequently your size or color is sold out at the new lower price. If it isn't, then it was worth your time and effort to return your original purchase.