Super Contributor

Re: Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

Once I buy something - that's it. I don't bother checking prices to see if the price went down.

Respected Contributor

It does not matter when the Anniversary Sale ended. The only date that is important is the purchase date. Open returns is not the same thing as open price adjustment.

Before I asked to speak with the store manager, I would have checked Nordstrom's price adjustment policy. You were given $15 you were not entitled to. Just goes to show Nordstrom will bend over backwards for a squeaky wheel.

Respected Contributor

I was super happy with what I bought and spent at Anniv sale, and super happy with what I bought and spent yesterday. 'Nuf said!
Honored Contributor

I know there is usually lots of fine print in most sale catalogs and on their website etc. that refers to no price adjustments; I just would not have invested that much time for 15 bucks but everyone is different

Trusted Contributor

I think this is new for Nordstrom to put anniversary sale items on clearance so quickly, and I think it might hurt the business at their sale next year if people realize a lot of the stuff will be marked down heavily in a few weeks, anyway.

Contributor

I am a former sales associate of Nordstrom as of May..they are very liberal about many things relating to Customer Service, but the 14 day price adjustment policy isn't really one of them. We were not authorized to give an adjustment; had to call Service Experience. Each case was resolved on an individual basis.

In reality, several of you are correct; you could just buy a new item at the lower price and return the original item. The problem may lie in the fact that often Anniversary items sell out in many sizes and colors so you may not get exactly what you want again. Anniversary Sale began on July 10 this year (Rewards customers) and ended the 3rd of August.

And, unless something has changed since I left, the other thing they are strict about is the Expiration Date on the Nordstrom Notes. If you are one that forgets you have them or can't spend them in a year, buy a gift card with them. Gift cards never expire!

Last year we did permanently mark down several items from Anniversary Sale for the Labor Day weekend...it just wasn't advertised. This is a new marketing program to have several small promotions (6, I think) per year along with Anniversary Sale instead of the two Half-Yearly Sales. It makes sense to feed off of the traffic out shopping for these big weekends.

So, to answer the OP question, I think your experience today was quite typical for your situation. I'm sure the Store Manager assessed your situation and used their best judgement to give you the adjustment. I just wouldn't assume this would be the typical response....

Shari

Super Contributor

I do not feel you should have received the $15.00. It happens all the time that something we purchased is cheaper later.

Honored Contributor

Nordstrom is great on matching prices. One boot I wanted cost $139.00 at Nordstrom and the same at Amazon was $98.00. They matched the Amazon prices after I told them. The only they won't do is adjust the sale item. I think all stores do that.

Regular Contributor

I am the OP. thanks for all of your replies - I appreciate most of your posts. To reply to one specific poster - YES my husband, kids, family and friends think I'm VERY special Smiley Happy Thanks for pointing that out! In retrospect I think it probably wasn't worth the effort to have pursued this on my part. Kudos to Nordstrom for doing what it took to satisfy a customer. I don't consider myself a "squeaky wheel" as I was very courteous and respectful with my request. But yes - I am persistent when I need to be. Thanks again!
Esteemed Contributor

This is an interesting thread. To me, saving $25 was worth my effort. To some, well, you would not bother.

But then again, you might be the person who clips a coupon for $.50 off laundry detergent--where I wouldn't bother.