Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions on recent Nordstrom experience

On 8/28/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

Not worth my time it takes to speak to THREE people just to save $15.00.

I agree! A lot of places have a two week grace period, and that seems reasonable to me.

Esteemed Contributor

olive, I, too, see both sides of the complaint. Here is what I do. If I have purchased an item and never worn it and see that it is now on sale, I will request an adjustment. Or, if necessary, I will return the original item and repurchase.

For example I purchased a new pair of shoes in July. Within 30 days, I was in the store in which I purchased them and saw that they were on sale for a savings of $25 LESS than what I paid. I immediately purchased another pair (I didn't want them to sell out in my size) and returned my original purchase the next day.

The SA told me that was really unnecessary and next time I should just bring my receipt in for a price adjustment.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 millieshops said:

They don't have a return limit, but I think there is still an adjustment limit. If not, why would anyone ever buy anything except real emergency repairs at full price - from anyone by the way.

Yeah but the thing here is because of the lax return policy, the OP could have easily just returned the item on Nordstrom's dime and reordered it at the cheaper price and had it shipped to her, again on their dime. Plus they would have had to go through processing the return and issuing a refund.

Truth be told, if it was after 30 days, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask about a price adjustment.

I do think everywhere should give 30 days and then it's your loss. Depending on the item, it could be marked down again and then what? This could go on and on with them issuing price adjustments.

Frequent Contributor

To the OP - I would have done the same thing and in fact I did. First of all, the anniversary sale ended on August 3, not that long ago. I bought a sweater on-line that I hadn't even worn or taken the tags off of. I bought it at anniversary price of $104. Now it is marked down, not 3 weeks later, to $78. I could have re-ordered the sweater at the lower price (with free shipping) and returned the higher priced sweater to the store with no problems whatsoever. So I just called the Nordstrom on-line customer service number and she gave me a price adjustment with no questions asked.

There were some other items I purchased that went down in price as well. I didn't bother getting a price adjustment for those because I got triple points for those and it was only a few dollars. Returning would negate the triple points so it probably is a wash.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 Daisypap said:

To the OP - I would have done the same thing and in fact I did. First of all, the anniversary sale ended on August 3, not that long ago. I bought a sweater on-line that I hadn't even worn or taken the tags off of. I bought it at anniversary price of $104. Now it is marked down, not 3 weeks later, to $78. I could have re-ordered the sweater at the lower price (with free shipping) and returned the higher priced sweater to the store with no problems whatsoever. So I just called the Nordstrom on-line customer service number and she gave me a price adjustment with no questions asked.

There were some other items I purchased that went down in price as well. I didn't bother getting a price adjustment for those because I got triple points for those and it was only a few dollars. Returning would negate the triple points so it probably is a wash.

Hmm,

I thought Anniv Prices didn't get marked down like that, pricing games.

However I have learned that you can make yourself nuts chasing every markdown that comes along, so figure out which is worth your time and energy.

Honored Contributor

I used to work for Talbots, and they had the same policy as Nordstrom. If you bought it on sale you did not get a price adjustment.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The old Talbot's adjustment policy was loopy. She tried to explain it to me once. It had something to do with the fact that the item still needed to be on the floor for them to accept it for adjustment because they had to basically return it and sell it to you again.

It was the most convoluted story I had ever heard.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Nordstrom Pricing Policy

We'll also be happy to adjust the price of an item you've purchased if it goes on sale within two weeks of your order date. Please note that price matching only applies to items of the same size and color. Designer items can only be matched when purchased at regular price.

So for some reason the OP thinks she's special or what?

Super Contributor

I don't know what their policy is, most stores offer a price adjustment within 30 days if the price goes down, there's a sale etc.

Some stores only will do an adjustment within 14 days, it varies from store to store.

I think if it were a large price drop I would have called, large I mean like $100. For myself I don't think I would have done it just for $15 and if it was well past 30 days. I am not saying you were wrong I am just saying I probably wouldn't have bothered. lol

But it is whatever you feel comfortable with, price adjustments are more important to some than others. I don't think it's wrong that you asked for a price adjustment but if I was told once by a sales rep, I don't think I would have gone to a manager over $15 but that is just me. I shop at Nordstrom a lot and I find them very helpful and accommodating but they are a higher end dept. store, it is not Kohls or a discount store.

Super Contributor

On 8/28/2014 jackthebear said:
On 8/28/2014 Daisypap said:

Hmm,

I thought Anniv Prices didn't get marked down like that, pricing games.

However I have learned that you can make yourself nuts chasing every markdown that comes along, so figure out which is worth your time and energy.

That is how I feel I guess. If I notice a price drop in something I just bought I will ask for an adjustment, but if it's not that much or it is something I bought months ago or over 30 days I don't.

As you say it is a lot of time and energy to keep up with prices on things you buy all the time. I think as long as I feel that I got a good price or a decent price on something then I'm happy.