Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion - if you were going to sell some gently used fashion items, etc., where?

Thanks for your tips and opinions.  That's really what I wanted the most.  I have tried consignment shops in the past and it wasn't that great and a lot of work.  I have also tried yard and garage sales -- even more work with even less reward.  The last few times I have purged I have just donated.  I think I will just do the same again.  Not worth the hassle for me.  As I slowly do this again, I wil just take the items as I clear them out and then it won't be as much work.  Thanks! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion - if you were going to sell some gently used fashion items, etc., where?

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

Yesterday I tried Poshmark for the first time. I listed two Dooney bags and two Patricia Nash bags. I priced them according to condition, similar listings, and the Poshmark price recommendation. 
Will let you know how it goes. 
As far as used clothes (not designer high fashion), it's my experience that people want them for free or for $1-2. Not kidding. 
Keeping receipts for your clothing donations for tax purposes is a waste of time. I stopped doing it when I did our tax returns- the dollar amount required for realizing a deduction is crazy high. Way more than I could ever attain. Looking at the $ allowances for specific items of used clothing on the tax guide- no way would it add up to a deduction. 
Dnate the clothes, call it a good deed and be done with it. 

if you are new you will get people asking you to email them more pix, just ignore that, and click that little flag

if you need help ask me, 

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Yesterday I tried Poshmark for the first time. I listed two Dooney bags and two Patricia Nash bags. I priced them according to condition, similar listings, and the Poshmark price recommendation. 
As far as used clothes (not designer high fashion), it's my experience that people want them for free or for $1-2. Not kidding. 
Keeping receipts for your clothing donations for tax purposes is a waste of time. I stopped doing it when I did our tax returns- the dollar amount required for realizing a deduction is crazy high. Way more than I could ever attain. Looking at the $ allowances for specific items of used clothing on the tax guide- no way would it add up to a deduction. 

Yes, I will be very interested in knowing how you fare on Poshmark with the bags. 

I totally agree with you on tax deductions...waste of time. 

i have done well with selling bags on PM, I wouldn't sell Lv or Gucci, 

you have to be realistic about what you get for your things, but my philosophy is "not making me money sitting in the house"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Yes, I will be very interested in knowing how you fare on Poshmark with the bags. 

you have to be realistic about what you get for your things, but my philosophy is "not making me money sitting in the house"

Thanks for that info @jackthebear.  I definitely wouldn't try LV, Chanel etc. on Poshmark, but I was thinking about trying two Dooneys I will never carry. 

I have one black and one timoro brown. They are florentine leather and Brenna style. I believe they were around $500 each. These have only been carried one or two times at the most because they are unbelievably heavy.

Realistically, aprrox. what do you think they would sell for? TIA

Honored Contributor

@jackiejenny wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Thanks for that info @jackthebear.  I definitely wouldn't try LV, Chanel etc. on Poshmark, but I was thinking about trying two Dooneys I will never carry. 

I have one black and one timoro brown. They are florentine leather and Brenna style. I believe they were around $500 each. These have only been carried one or two times at the most because they are unbelievably heavy.

Realistically they will sell to someone who wants to buy them,  did you look at solds?  that will tell you the prices they are going for...quick glance shows sales in the $200 to $300 range, but some of them were 2021, 

depending on the condition I might price at $230 ish and take the first offer at something close to your price, say if you want to clear $160 as an example , 
don't offer free or discounted shipping on the listing save that for offers to likers 
I see 1 Brenna in leather asking at $250 recently listed 

to get more be sure you take really good pics, all measurements, do you have dust bags etc

does this help you?

also before you sell and list be sure you have packing materials, a box to ship in, printer.  weigh the box before because anything over 5lbs costs extra , not likely that it will come to 5,  

Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@jackiejenny wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

Realistically they will sell to someone who wants to buy them,  did you look at solds?  that will tell you the prices they are going for...quick glance shows sales in the $200 to $300 range, but some of them were 2021, 

depending on the condition I might price at $230 ish and take the first offer at something close to your price, say if you want to clear $160 as an example , 
don't offer free or discounted shipping on the listing save that for offers to likers 
I see 1 Brenna in leather asking at $250 recently listed 

to get more be sure you take really good pics, all measurements, do you have dust bags etc

does this help you?

also before you sell and list be sure you have packing materials, a box to ship in, printer.  weigh the box before because anything over 5lbs costs extra , not likely that it will come to 5,  

Yes, this info helps me a lot. I now have to think about whether I want to get into this selling game or not. Typically, I hate selling stufff! 

Thanks again! 

Esteemed Contributor

I took some Michael Kors purses and a few clothing items to Clothes Mentor. They didn't take everything but I did get a little cash for some of my items.  The process was pretty easy.  I dropped them off and they texted me when they had gone through everything.    

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown